mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF sequencer issue - MPC Ren issue too if you can help"

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 03:14 AM
dam0007
Total Posts:  26
Joined  12-22-2014

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my MPC 2000XL with the Renaissance. I ran into a bunch of issues getting the MPC to record midi data from the Motif and the MPC to play them back out to the Motif. Typically using a external sequencer you turn local control off but the Motif was turning the keys off either way. When I finally got it to communicate I now have note sustaining issues on the MPC end. (If any of you are MPC Ren users please help me figure this out!!!). Now when I put local back on to play a sequence on the motif sequencer nothing plays. I tried disconnecting the midi cables thinking its stuck synced with the MPC, no resolve. I then checked for updates and saw 1.5 was available so I backed up my data did the update then voila sequencer worked. As soon as I installed my back ups, sequencer stopped working again. I went through every setting multiple times and cannot get it to play. The sequences I’m attempting to get it to play are non MPC related.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.

- Dam0007

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 08:52 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dam0007 - 22 December 2014 03:14 AM

[...]Now when I put local back on to play a sequence on the motif sequencer nothing plays. I tried disconnecting the midi cables thinking its stuck synced with the MPC, no resolve. I then checked for updates and saw 1.5 was available so I backed up my data did the update then voila sequencer worked. As soon as I installed my back ups, sequencer stopped working again. I went through every setting multiple times and cannot get it to play.[...]

Welcome to the forum, dam0007.

Since the sequencer stopped playing when you loaded a backup file, a setting is causing the problem. Sometimes it’s not obvious which one, though. Try this…

Press [SEQ SETUP], [F2](MIDI Filter), and see whether there’s a check mark for “Note” in the “OUT” column. If so, turn it off (unchecked).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 11:18 AM
dam0007
Joined  12-22-2014
5pinDIN - 22 December 2014 08:52 AM

[...]Now when I put local back on to play a sequence on the motif sequencer nothing plays. I tried disconnecting the midi cables thinking its stuck synced with the MPC, no resolve. I then checked for updates and saw 1.5 was available so I backed up my data did the update then voila sequencer worked. As soon as I installed my back ups, sequencer stopped working again. I went through every setting multiple times and cannot get it to play.[...]

Since the sequencer stopped playing when you loaded a backup file, a setting is causing the problem. Sometimes it’s not obvious which one, though. Try this…

Press [SEQ SETUP], [F2](MIDI Filter), and see whether there’s a check mark for “Note” in the “OUT” column. If so, turn it off (unchecked).

I’m not home at the minute, 9-5, but I know for a fact I have both checked off in and out for note program and after touch. That was the setting that worked with the 2K. So I’m wondering if this solves it, ‘In’ for Motif use and ‘out’ for motif use on MPC, is the way to go, and if it will help with the note sustaining issue.

As soon as I get home I’ll post my findings. Thanks a lot for a quick response I appreciate it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 10:02 PM
dam0007
Joined  12-22-2014
5pinDIN - 22 December 2014 08:52 AM

Ok turned everything in out column off. Now instead of sequencer starting and nothing playing. Play lights green stuck at 0:00

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 11:11 PM
dam0007
Joined  12-22-2014

I have no clue why Yamaha made this the most difficult thing. Korg Midi ON or OFF period. Roland Midi ON or OFF period. Kurzweil Midi ON or OFF period. Ensoniq Midi ON or OFF period..... Yamaha On 250 settings to adjust or OFF 250 settings to adjust.

/vent

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 11:13 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dam0007 - 22 December 2014 10:02 PM

Ok turned everything in out column off. Now instead of sequencer starting and nothing playing. Play lights green stuck at 0:00

Seems like you’ve got MIDI Sync set to “MIDI”. For playing the XF’s sequencer, it should be set to “internal”. There are two ways to resolve that.

You could:
Press [SEQ SETUP] > [F3](Quick)
Select Setup 1
Press [ENTER]

Or you could:
Press [UTILITY] > [F5](Control) > [SF2](MIDI]
Change the MIDI Sync setting to ”internal

STORE changes you want to keep.

If you want an “All” file that defaults to the XF’s sequencer playing back, SAVE a new one after storing the changed setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 11:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dam0007 - 22 December 2014 11:11 PM

I have no clue why Yamaha made this the most difficult thing. Korg Midi ON or OFF period. Roland Midi ON or OFF period. Kurzweil Midi ON or OFF period. Ensoniq Midi ON or OFF period..... Yamaha On 250 settings to adjust or OFF 250 settings to adjust.

/vent

Yamaha choices provide flexibility, but do add complexity if you’re unfamiliar with the operation. I suggest that you use the Quick sequencer setups when possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2014 @ 11:56 PM
dam0007
Joined  12-22-2014
5pinDIN - 22 December 2014 11:13 PM
dam0007 - 22 December 2014 10:02 PM

Seems like you’ve got MIDI Sync set to “MIDI”. For playing the XF’s sequencer, it should be set to “internal”. There are two ways to resolve that.

You could:
Press [SEQ SETUP] > [F3](Quick)
Select Setup 1
Press [ENTER]

Or you could:
Press [UTILITY] > [F5](Control) > [SF2](MIDI]
Change the MIDI Sync setting to ”internal

STORE changes you want to keep.

If you want an “All” file that defaults to the XF’s sequencer playing back, SAVE a new one after storing the changed setup.

AWESOME! It worked! A combination of internal and checking off midi filter, everything ‘IN’ and quick setup 1, local ON.

Ok So when I use MPC as sequencer everything is the opposite. Pretty much. lol Geez the headache.

Now while I was waiting for this response I was tracking and having issues with the MPC triggering the Motif while being used as a plug in… Once I have the settings down pact I’ll be back up and running.

Thank you so much for responding and offering your help, its greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2014 @ 12:00 AM
dam0007
Joined  12-22-2014

Also! FYI to anyone reading this and contemplating a MPC Ren. The Midi Ins on the MPC do not like the Motif, note sustain and repeat issues. I got it to work by using a M Audio Uno in the MPCs USB A slot out to the IN/OUT on the Motif and toggling it within MPC’s prefs.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ My new white Motif XF7 is on the way!
Next Topic:

Connect a Guitar to Motif XF8 ››