mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording from MOXF to LPX"

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 06:51 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I just tried to send this question as a PM to a Forum Member, but I have exceeded the # of PM’s one can send in one day, so I’ll Post the question on the MOTIFATOR LPX Forum.

It is based upon the premise of having a Song on the MOXF Sequencer and wanting to record each of the four Voices in the Song, one at a time, as Audio (not MIDI) going out the MOXF analog outs directly to LPX (through my Apollo Interface).

One more thought popped in my head (uh-oh) :)

Just for fun, once I’m sure that the MOXF and LPX are synced, if I wanted to record each track as audio only, could I (and should I) press record on LPX (which I can set to give a two measure count in before it starts recording) and press the Start button on the MOXF Song as close as I can to begin on the one?

If I do the above for each track, will each track still sync correctly with each other?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 07:01 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

You’ve no need for a count in if you are sure everything is in sync.

Put Logic in record without one and it will be fine.

If you need to add other instruments like a real guitar later on, then you can create a count in using the metronome options at that time for the guitarist. (or whoever is adding more tracks)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 07:22 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi Phil, long time no talk :)

I’m not asking the question correctly (my fault, btw).

What I was trying to ask was that if all four tracks on LPX will be coming from the analog outs (possibly by usb) of the MOXF, do I still have to transfer the MIDI Files to LPX that will tell the MOXF what to play?

Forget my guitar player and his need for a one measure clock/count in at this point :)

If the MOXF and LPX are synced correctly, can I just go to audio track one on LPX, hit record and try to press play on the MOXF as close as I can on the one?

If so, if I record each audio track on LPX the same way, will they all be synced while recording?

I ask because what happens if I don’t press play on the MOXF at the exact same point for each of the four tracks?

I would think it would be almost impossible to do so :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 07:38 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
jerrydpi - 15 December 2014 07:22 PM

What I was trying to ask was that if all four tracks on LPX will be coming from the analog outs (possibly by usb) of the MOXF, do I still have to transfer the MIDI Files to LPX that will tell the MOXF what to play?

You don’t have to, but having the MIDI data in Logic to start with will make things much easier and you will be able to record the audio from the MOXF simultaneously at the same time that MIDI data is sent from Logic to your MOXF. 

If you don’t do that you will need to use real sync and sync settings to get Logic to play your MOXF’s internal sequencer, rather than the ‘natural’ synchronisation you are afforded from the simultaneity of starting off with the MIDI data in Logic,

If the MOXF and LPX are synced correctly, can I just go to audio track one on LPX, hit record and try to press play on the MOXF as close as I can on the one?

If so, if I record each audio track on LPX the same way, will they all be synced while recording?

Yes, since it is a simultaneous thing, your audio is recorded musically in time and will occupy the exact same musical location once recorded.

I ask because what happens if I don’t press play on the MOXF at the exact same point for each of the four tracks?

You don’t need to worry, you might be over thinking it.  It actually doesn’t matter when you press record.  You could do it with ear defenders on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 07:51 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
philwoodmusic - 15 December 2014 07:38 PM

You don’t have to, but having the MIDI data in Logic to start with will make things much easier and you will be able to record the audio from the MOXF simultaneously at the same time that MIDI data is sent from Logic to your MOXF. 

If you don’t do that you will need to use real sync and sync settings to get Logic to play your MOXF’s internal sequencer, rather than the ‘natural’ synchronisation you are afforded from the simultaneity of starting off with the MIDI data in Logic

Well, my buddy knows me well enough to know this question is coming :)

How do I use real sync and sync settings to get Logic to play your MOXF’s internal sequencer, rather than the ‘natural’ synchronisation you are afforded from the simultaneity of starting off with the MIDI data in Logic?

Cheers,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 07:58 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You enable synchronisation and MIDI clock destination in Logic,

...and to quote Bad_Mister

on the MOXF:

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] MIDI
Press [SF3] SYNC
Set the MIDI SYNC = AUTO
This will allow the MOXF to follow the tempo as set in your DAW. You must set your DAW to send standard MIDI Clock to the MOXF on USB port 1.
Set the SEQUENCER CONTROL = IN
This allows the MOXF to receive and follow Start/Stop commands from the DAW.

This is all presuming you have your data in your MOXF in Song or Pattern mode.

The idea is that when you tap record on Logic, your MOXF plays at the same time and musically in time.

You record the audio as you were before.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 08:02 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

The Bad_Mister/MOXF part I have down :)

But how do I enable synchronisation and MIDI clock destination in Logic?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 08:11 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

- Open up the Logic Menu > Preferences > MIDI.

- On the MIDI page, you will see a tab that says Sync. click on it.

- At the bottom right of the sync page that appears, you will see another tab saying ”MIDI sync project settings.”

- The page that opens up says “MIDI clock” at the top and you should see a drop down menu named Destination 1, click on that and select your MOXF Port 1 as the destination.

- Close all the MIDI and sync preference windows you’ve been using.

Done.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 08:38 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

Thanks so much :)

Last question for the day (I promise).

Will it be better/quicker to do this (recording four audio tracks on LPX) the MIDI way you initially advised me to do, or will I be fine (just for this one song) to do it the alternate way I have proposed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 08:43 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Well, it will be quicker if you don’t have to put the data in Logic first because that takes a bit more time when you have to export it and then sort it all out in Logic.

Time never really concerns me if I’m learning to do something, but since you are learning this stuff, you probably ought to try BOTH ways and see which one you prefer.

Either way works great.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 08:58 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

I can’t figure out why I’m so afraid/cautious of recording the song this way (from the MOXF Sequencer to LPX :)

The song is written great (musically and lyrically) and isn’t that the hardest part of writing a song?

I will say this. If all I had to do was go to a Studio, let the Studio Musicians and Engineer hear me play the song and tell the Musicians what I think they should play (I would be open to better ideas, btw), I could easily record one song (music and vocals) in less than two hours :)

Thanks again,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 09:09 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You’re afraid of this part of the production because it seems alien to you and you aren’t alone on that.

Also, you are doing several things all at once on your own.

In a studio situation, everyone has a specific role and they either all play together or play split up and an engineer makes the recording.

You are the only person involved on everything on this project.

I think you just have to dive in and take whatever pain you get from it, then learn from it.

Have you tried acupuncture or Apple Cider Vinegar for this ailment?

Just kidding :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance Parts Output Select
Next Topic:

MOXF8 and Logic Pro X Bank Changes? ››