mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Maxed Out Sequencer Memory - TIPS for “live” use"

Posted on: December 05, 2014 @ 05:58 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I use MIDI backing track Songs/Patterns in a live act. I’ve maxed out my sequencer memory on the MOX and need to start shuttling Songs/Patterns into and out of the synth. Kind of a pain in the ass, I must say. (Does the MOXf have more sequencer storage?) If I make a Set List and I skip one song, planning to do it later, I’m kind of stuck. (Or am I?)

I presume Master mode is the way to go, in general. But that doesn’t solve the sequencer memory limitation. 

Anyway, before I pull too much hair out of my head, I’m wondering what system others are using for “live” work, where you need access quickly. Set Lists, Category Lists? Are you only loading between sets throughout the evening? What if the band leader calls, or a request comes in. for a tune you don’t have loaded? 

In FILE mode is it possible to just save Patterns or just Songs or is it a matter of naming various versions of ALL files. Do you load one Song at a time, or ???  I have a hard enough time seeing the LED screen without having to dig into the various permutations of Saving/Loading, scrolling, etc. Bad Mister suggests working one Song at a time, from an empty sequencer, then moving material into files in a separate operation.

Sorry for the rambling rant. Just looking for real-world ideas to get around this limitation. It’s one of the few complaints I have with the MOX, but it’s a big one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2014 @ 06:19 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
muscarella - 05 December 2014 05:58 PM

...In FILE mode is it possible to just save Patterns or just Songs or is it a matter of naming various versions of ALL files. Do you load one Song at a time, or ???....

As you can see on page 155 of the MOX Reference Manual, yes...you can SAVE ALL PATTERNS or ALL SONGS without SAVING everything else.

And yes, you can LOAD (1) SONG or PATTERN at a time if you wish.  Or ALL SONGS or ALL PATTERNS at once if you wish (pages 156/157).

Although I do not use my XF the way you describe using your MOX, I can empathize with the frustration.  Very judicious use of the sequencer memory and targeted/careful USB storage of your MIDI tracks for efficient re-LOADING during the break is the best advice I can offer.

And if someone is looking for a “request” or call-out, I would suggest putting them off until the next set.  Even for many of us who do not utilize pre-recorded tracks in live performance, it is a true rarity that we are going to interrupt the immediate flow of the current set on demand!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I’m constantly thinning out my stuff, trying to gain just a few more precious bytes, but it would be SO much easier to not have to deal with this, considering I’m really just talking about a dozen songs or so. So close but so far.

Well, if others have organization methods they’ve found to be the most efficient, I’d still welcome those tips.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2014 @ 01:14 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Having your files organized for quick loading is still the best you can do once you have exhausted all the possible data thinning tricks.

Don’t overlook pattern chaining as an alternative to songs wherever possible...when you chain the pattern sections for verse, chorus, bridge the storage is essentially the same whether the song has two of each or two hundred of each. Using track mutes in pattern chains can save you even more space. Triggering arpeggios from sequenced notes is more efficient than recording the arpeggiator output. Etc.

Keep it in perspective...this is not a Motif issue, it’s common to all sequencers, even most DAWs (unlike hardware, computer sequencers seldom let you have multiple songs open in memory...Reason is an exception).

It is interesting that over the years no matter how much sequence storage we have on our instruments, we always run out. We ran out when we could only store 2000 events, we ran out when we could only store 20,000 events and now we are running out when we can store 200,000 events!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2014 @ 09:51 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Can you describe how it is that track mutes save space? Not clear what you mean. (My understanding with Songs anyway is that muted tracks still take up space.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2015 @ 10:42 AM
pmat3155
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-21-2014

I have struggled with the same problem for a long time. I use MOX6 at church and we used several midi songs and I constantly ran in to sequencer memory full error. One change I made was converting songs in to patterns. I never learned piano or used a keyboard before, please ignore any mistakes in technical terms.

I play over 20 songs on any Sunday. Most of these songs have repeating phrases. I split the songs in to patterns and removed all repeating phrases. For some songs I had to use multiple sections since there were more than one repeating phrase. In those cases I used midi sysex command to change pattern sections automatically. You can do the same using chain mode. Through this approach I was able to significantly increase the number of songs I can load in to MOX. I currently have around 25 patterns loaded which I couldn’t have done as songs. I also have a USB drive with has midi files for songs that are played less often which I play as songs without saving to MOX. Hope this helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2015 @ 05:41 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Thanks pmat3155, those are great tips. I have a few songs I converted to Patterns, mostly simple “groove-driven” tunes so I could jam on them, extend them if necessary if people are dancing, etc. And nothing worse then the Song coming to an end just as somebody gets onto the dance floor. Happens all the time with slow songs, too, ause the wife FINALLY gets the husband to his feet, and there’s nothing I can do to extend things. Audience doesn’t realize I’m in a finite sequence (nor should they), they just think I’m being kind of cruel.

So for various Songs I was thinking I’d just Pattern-ize the whole song, A Section would be the whole song up till last verse (or something), B would be the last verse, C would be the Chorus, D would be extra Choruses or Refrains or whatnot, E would be the Ending. But I see that a few of the songs in question could also, have their structures condensed. More button pushes maybe, but less overall data.

I haven’t tried Chain with anything yet. Will experiment with that, too.

Never thought of playing straight off the USB. But I don’t think I’d be able to play my MOX keyboard part alongside, would I?  Could work for certain Songs I play guitar only (thru the PA). But does it play back with all the MOX voice tweaks or does it default to GM sounds?

I’m trying now to sort out which Songs I NEVER play in the beginning of the night, and which Songs I always play later in the gig, after a Set break. Then have two ALL files which are similar, except for the Songs I categorized. I know, I know.  I could just make Set Lists, but I’m really not keen on having to stick to Sets and not being able to access (or skip) something on a moments notice without totally stopping to fumble around with the keypad. 

Anybody Chain Songs together? I’m finding that some Songs flow nicely off the other, but I’d want to be able to “break” the chain, or delay it, or come back the Song later in the night.

Finally, I didn’t realize there is a Sys Ex message for chaining or how that works.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2015 @ 06:09 PM
pmat3155
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-21-2014

So for various Songs I was thinking I’d just Pattern-ize the whole song.

You described just what I did with my songs.

Never thought of playing straight off the USB. But I don’t think I’d be able to play my MOX keyboard part alongside, would I?

You can play keyboard while playing off the USB. Actually the Owner’s Manual recommends this for accompaniment style playback similar to PSRs. Although I am not sure if ARPs will work or if you will be able to change voices while playing.

Finally, I didn’t realize there is a Sys Ex message for chaining or how that works.

I actually found out this by accident while converting song to pattern. I use F0 43 7E 00 xx 7F F7 where xx is the number corresponding to the section with 00 as section A. So you if want to change your pattern from section A to section B after 4 measures, insert F0 43 7E 00 01 7F F7 in measure 4 of section A and section B will start playing from measure 5. This is what I am using instead of chain mode

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2015 @ 01:31 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance Mode - Part Edit menu
Next Topic:

S.E. Michigan MOX users! ››