mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Routing 2nd Keyboard Thru MOXF Via Midi To Play Soft Synth"

Posted on: November 27, 2014 @ 05:39 PM
MarkJohnson
Total Posts:  75
Joined  09-03-2013

I have a second keyboard with its MIDI Out connected to the MOXF’s MIDI In.  The MOXF is connected to my laptop via USB interface.  I can play a soft synth on my laptop from the MOXF keyboard; however, I can’t figure out how to assign the second keyboard to make that connection.  I’ve assigned the second keyboard a MIDI transmit channel on 2 and the soft synth has been set to receive on channel 2.  That doesn’t work.

I’m sure I’m missing something very obvious, but I’m at the end of my thought process here.  Thanks in advance.

Mark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2014 @ 05:50 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

I think you need to use THROUGH rather than IN on the MOXF.

Sorry, forget that, had a blonde moment!
Can’t delete this D’OH

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2014 @ 06:11 PM
MarkJohnson
Joined  09-03-2013

Yeah, it’s got to be some MIDI routing assignment in the MOXF, I just can’t figure where that would be.  I’m hoping it will be patch-independent, meaning I don’t have to use a specific Performance or Master assignment.  I essentially want to dedicate the second keyboard to the soft synth using the MOXF’s USB connection regardless of what patch I have the MOXF on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2014 @ 06:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 54 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual. Specifically read the Port 3 section.

If you can configure the soft synth to use the MOXF’s Port 3 for MIDI input, that should accomplish what you’re asking about. (The software’s MIDI-In might show something like “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-3” as one of the choices.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2014 @ 06:33 PM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014

Page 51 in Owner’s Manual:

“NOTE Any one of these interfaces can be used for MIDI data
transmission/reception: the MIDI connectors, or the USB [TO
HOST] connector. However, they cannot be used at the same
time. Select which connector is to be used for MIDI data transfer
in the “MIDI IN/OUT” parameter of the [UTILTITY]  [F6] MIDI 
[SF4] OTHER display. As you work through the explanations in
this chapter, set “MIDI IN/OUT” to “MIDI” since MIDI is used as
the example connection here.”

Sorry dude, you may be flogging a dead horse here....

Just read the post 5PinDIN had made, hopefully he’s right and I’m wrong then. ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 01:19 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
zpink - 27 November 2014 06:33 PM

[...]Just read the post 5PinDIN had made, hopefully he’s right and I’m wrong then. ;-)

As long as MarkJohnson configures the soft synth’s MIDI-In to use the correct MOXF port, it should work.
keys.gif

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 01:37 AM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014

Hopefully you’re right!

I’ve had no reason to try this myself and interpreted the “Any one of these interfaces can be used” and “However, they cannot be used at the same time.”, as if the MOXF itself only dealt with one of them at any given time.

I have the a Novation resting vertically next to me due to lack of space, I may have to make some room just for testing purposes here. LOL

PS. Living in UK, hence the double quotes for quotes. ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 02:01 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
zpink - 28 November 2014 01:37 AM

Hopefully you’re right!

I’ve had no reason to try this myself and interpreted the “Any one of these interfaces can be used” and “However, they cannot be used at the same time.”, as if the MOXF itself only dealt with one of them at any given time.

When MIDI IN/OUT is set to USB, the 5-pin DIN connections function as described under PORT 3 on the manual page I previously referred to. Really!

zpink -

I have the a Novation resting vertically next to me due to lack of space, I may have to make some room just for testing purposes here. LOL

By all means…  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 11:39 AM
MarkJohnson
Joined  09-03-2013

Wow, 5pinDIN you nailed it. zpink, I get the big D’OH award here.  When am I going to RTFM?!

Thanks all!!!

Mark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 12:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
MarkJohnson - 28 November 2014 11:39 AM

Wow, 5pinDIN you nailed it. zpink, I get the big D’OH award here.  When am I going to RTFM?!

Thanks all!!!

Mark

I’m glad that you got things working as you wanted.

Nobody should be going “D’OH!”. While reading the manuals is often helpful, sometimes the information isn’t easy to find or explained clearly.

Besides, how else would I get a high post count?  ;-)

[ Ignore ]