mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "stop sustain when a note is repeated"

Posted on: November 14, 2014 @ 09:34 PM
bucky
Total Posts:  13
Joined  01-03-2013

I often play 8th notes like a bass guitar or rhythm guitar. To get the right sustain, I usually fiddle with the release settings to get the 8th notes to sustain just the right amount. But it’s not perfect (either too much overlap or too little overlap), and needs to be adjusted when the tempo changes.

Is there a way to set a voice to stop sustaining a note when it is repeated? For example, I play G chord 8th notes like a rhythm guitar. It should sustain the chord until I hit the next 8th note chord. Then it should immediately cut off the previous notes and sustain the new notes. Ideally, it only cuts off the sustain when the same note is repeated. That way I can sustain a chord or arpeggio.

The next best thing would be if there was a setting to only allow one note per voice (regardless if it was the same note or not). That might be suitable for the bass guitar since I typically only play one note at a time on the bass and mute the previous notes.

Thanks for any suggestions!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2014 @ 07:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
bucky - 14 November 2014 09:34 PM

[...]The next best thing would be if there was a setting to only allow one note per voice (regardless if it was the same note or not). That might be suitable for the bass guitar since I typically only play one note at a time on the bass and mute the previous notes.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Perhaps using mono operation will accomplish what you want. See the MO Owner’s Manual for Mono/Poly settings, under [F4]PORTA(Portamento) on page 151, and [F1]GENERAL [SF2]PLY MODE(Play Mode) on page 153. Also pages 174 and 191, for other than Voice Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2014 @ 12:57 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Unless I misunderstand something here, sustain simply will stop when you take your fingers off the keys! You can elongate the sound of the note by adjusting the envelope release, or your can use a sustain pedal. Playing 8th note chords with any release at all would be potentially very messy sounding methinks but maybe you are using a Voice that sounds OK. I still think that you should be able to adjust your physical playing technique to achieve the effect you need and not feel you have to adjust and re-adjust envelop settings every time you turn up the tempo. Hope that gives some food for thought! As 5pinDIN says, mono/poly setting is a good idea to look at for your bass parts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2014 @ 03:57 PM
bucky
Total Posts:  13
Joined  01-03-2013
MrMotif - 15 November 2014 12:57 PM

Unless I misunderstand something here, sustain simply will stop when you take your fingers off the keys! You can elongate the sound of the note by adjusting the envelope release, or your can use a sustain pedal.

Ah, my fault, I confused the terms “sustain” and “release”. I should have asked “Is is possible to stop release when the same key is pressed again?” I don’t want the sound to stop when I lift the key, I want the sound to stop when I press down the next key.

Playing 8th note chords with any release at all would be potentially very messy sounding methinks but maybe you are using a Voice that sounds OK. I still think that you should be able to adjust your physical playing technique to achieve the effect you need and not feel you have to adjust and re-adjust envelop settings every time you turn up the tempo.

Yes, exactly. Currently, I have to adjust the Release settings just right to get the 8th notes to “connect together”, not staccato, but not too much overlap either, which would make it muddy. Maybe you’re right, I need to revisit my physical technique.

As 5pinDIN says, mono/poly setting is a good idea to look at for your bass parts.

Thanks for 5pinDIN and MrMotif’s comments!

[ Ignore ]