mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to add foot controller 2 (CC04)"

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 12:43 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-23-2011

The MOFX8 sounds like exactly the synth I need, with the exception of the missing foot controller 2 input.

I use lots of layered patches/performances and am in the habit of controlling volume/expression of separate layers using foot controller 1 & foot controller 2 on my S90, and would need to duplicate that functionality on the MOXF8.

The MOXF manual says I can still select FC 2(CC04) as a control source, so do I just need to find an external pedal capable of originating a MIDI signal and sending CC04 and plug that pedal into the MIDI in jack on the MOXF?

I think the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller would work if I had an existing MIDI signal going to the MIDI in on the MOXF8 (the Pedal Controller is powered from its MIDI in jack), but the MOXF would be the first instrument in my MIDI chain.

Any suggestions for adding a second foot controller to the MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 01:40 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You might see if the effort put into This Thread provides useful techniques for your needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 01:42 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Any source of the correct CC# should do the trick. MIDI Solutions has a separate power supply available for situations where you can’t use a MIDI-Out jack to supply power.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 07:10 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011
cmayhle - 31 October 2014 01:40 PM

You might see if the effort put into This Thread provides useful techniques for your needs.

Thanks! I’d seen that post but it didn’t seem to have any bearing on my situation. I went ahead and read through it today and still didn’t see any help in adding a standalone foot controller to the MOXF.

5pinDIN - 31 October 2014 01:42 PM

Any source of the correct CC# should do the trick. MIDI Solutions has a separate power supply available for situations where you can’t use a MIDI-Out jack to supply power.

That sounds like just the ticket. I hadn’t seen the MIDI Solutions power supply before and I can’t tell from reading the copy or looking at the photo on the MS site just how it’d drive the pedal controller since it doesn’t have an OUT port, but I have a mail out to MS support asking for clarification.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 09:36 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
MrWhiteKeys - 31 October 2014 07:10 PM
5pinDIN - 31 October 2014 01:42 PM

That sounds like just the ticket. I hadn’t seen the MIDI Solutions power supply before and I can’t tell from reading the copy or looking at the photo on the MS site just how it’d drive the pedal controller since it doesn’t have an OUT port, but I have a mail out to MS support asking for clarification.

Both MIDI-Out and MIDI-Thru ports can supply power for MIDI Solutions devices, as long as they provide high enough voltage. (In case you’re wondering, I believe the MOXF MIDI ports are run at 3.3 volts, which is less than what’s needed.)

The MS power adapter has a MIDI-Thru port.
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 11:04 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011
5pinDIN - 31 October 2014 09:36 PM

Both MIDI-Out and MIDI-Thru ports can supply power for MIDI Solutions devices, as long as they provide high enough voltage. (In case you’re wondering, I believe the MOXF MIDI ports are run at 3.3 volts, which is less than what’s needed.)

The MS power adapter has a MIDI-Thru port.
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

I have a MIDI Solutions pedal controller here at the house and while my S90’s THRU port provides enough power to light up the controller’s LED, running a MIDI cable from the S90’s THRU port into the pedal controller’s input, then from the pedal controller’s output into the S90’s MIDI in jack doesn’t work… the pedal doesn’t function as a foot controller 2.

If I then unplug the pedal controller’s input from the S90’s THRU jack and plug it into another synth’s MIDI out, it does work. The pedal controller functions just like the on-board FC2 input.

So even though the S90’s THRU port lights up the pedal controller, something else seems to be missing from the equation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 11:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
MrWhiteKeys - 31 October 2014 11:04 PM

I have a MIDI Solutions pedal controller here at the house and while my S90’s THRU port provides enough power to light up the controller’s LED, running a MIDI cable from the S90’s THRU port into the pedal controller’s input, then from the pedal controller’s output into the S90’s MIDI in jack doesn’t work… the pedal doesn’t function as a foot controller 2.

If I then unplug the pedal controller’s input from the S90’s THRU jack and plug it into another synth’s MIDI out, it does work. The pedal controller functions just like the on-board FC2 input.

So even though the S90’s THRU port lights up the pedal controller, something else seems to be missing from the equation.

Offhand I can’t see a reason for that behavior, since I’m fairly sure that the S90’s MIDI-Out and Thru ports are run at 5 volts. You might want to ask MIDI Solutions what could be going on.

[ Ignore ]