mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Rim Shots"

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 03:50 PM
Grandad1946
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-31-2014

Having played drums back in the sixties, I was wondering if it’s possible to generate a rim shot with the kits on any of the Motif series. I have searched this and found nothing. Perhaps one of our more advanced users might have an answer.

Regards Grandad1946

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 04:32 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Note # 37 (C#) right above your kick drums should be what you are looking for. There are also dedicated ‘snare’ kits which should contain other variations on the sound.

If you want the sound of the snare surface plus rim you would of course just double up, i.e. use regular snare plus rimshot. Adding some rimshot can give you additional ‘crack’ to the sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 04:40 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
Grandad1946 - 23 October 2014 03:50 PM

Having played drums back in the sixties, I was wondering if it’s possible to generate a rim shot with the kits on any of the Motif series. I have searched this and found nothing. Perhaps one of our more advanced users might have an answer.

Regards Grandad1946

Do you mean a purist rim shot by catching the skin and rim at the same time?  With a kind of ringing on?

Like on a lot of Bob Marley records for example?  When the drummer plays ruffs with a rim shot on the end of them?

Rim knocks (butt taps in some places) are generally what you hear on keyboards, commonly mislabelled as rim shots.  A rim knock would be the butt end of the stick being knocked on the rim whilst the stick is flat to the skin?

Getting the ringing on would be the tricky part, you’d need a sample of a drum hit on the part of the skin close to the rim.

Sorry, I started this post and took a call, and by the time I’d finished the call, MM had replied nicely.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF6 "keyboard feel"
Next Topic:

Can’t connect MOXF to Cubase ››