mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF Screen Burn In"

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 03:46 PM
Jim Shoe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  06-18-2014

Has anyone ever experienced screen burn in or ghosting on an XF color LCD screen after leaving it on for long periods of time?

Knowing this is a color LCD screen, I am afraid to leave it on for long periods of time.  However, I do not want to turn the XF on and off several times a day.

Obviously in performance, you would have the XF on for many hours at a time.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this, experienced this, can shed some light on this, or lay my fears to rest.  :)

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 04:31 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

After 18 months of near daily use and having on for several hours at a time, it still looks like day one.  No burn-in features at all

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 09:11 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Jim Shoe - 11 October 2014 03:46 PM

Has anyone ever experienced screen burn in or ghosting on an XF color LCD screen after leaving it on for long periods of time?

Knowing this is a color LCD screen, I am afraid to leave it on for long periods of time.  However, I do not want to turn the XF on and off several times a day.

Obviously in performance, you would have the XF on for many hours at a time.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this, experienced this, can shed some light on this, or lay my fears to rest.  :)

Thank you.

There is no need to be concerned about
“screen burn-in”, ghosting, or anything
like that. And yes, you can turn the XF on and
off repeatedly and rapidly and it wont hurt it,
unless you are doing something like saving a file
or updating the operating system while
turning it off and then on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 09:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

IMO, the only advantage of leaving the XF on during extended periods of non-usage is to avoid the boot-up time. While “burn-in” doesn’t seem to be an issue, the LCD’s backlight does have a finite life, and turning off the XF when it’s not in use should be beneficial in that respect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2014 @ 09:20 AM
RichS
Total Posts:  45
Joined  11-30-2013

I have the bad habit of sometimes leaving my XF on overnight in my studio.  I was concerned that burn-in might become an issue although at this point there is no sign of it.

Thanks for clearing things up guys!

Oh here’s one note; I live in a rural area which experiences blackouts and brownouts so I keep my motif plugged into a UPS to avoid any damage the power company has to offer.  Leaving it on unprotected would definitely not be a good idea.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2014 @ 12:14 PM
Jim Shoe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  06-18-2014

Thank you everyone for your responses.  While I don’t want to leave it on 24/7, at least it appears that Yamaha has done a good job of preventing burn in and ghosting which in the old days used to be a big problem with screens like this.  I’ve been using synthesizers since 1976.  The XF ain’t no Minimoog!  But then again, the Minimoog didn’t have a screen and the oscillators were a pain to keep in tune.

It’s a shame the screen isn’t an OLED screen like on a cell phone.  It would be sharper, less likely to crack and burn in would be a non-issue.  The screen could even be a touch screen like a cell phone.  You could play video games on it while the tune in the band doesn’t require keyboards!  :)

Now if Yamaha would just do away with fire wire and go with a USB 3.1 upgrade for the XF.  Computers rarely have fire wire these days since fire wire is pretty much dead tech.  But that would be a separate thread.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2014 @ 08:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Jim Shoe - 12 October 2014 12:14 PM

[...]It’s a shame the screen isn’t an OLED screen like on a cell phone.  It would be sharper, less likely to crack and burn in would be a non-issue.  The screen could even be a touch screen like a cell phone.[...]

Like most technology, OLED screens have advantages and disadvantages. The various color OLEDs age differently, so as the screens are used a gradual loss of brightness and color shift tends to occur. As to touch screens, the first Yamaha workstation that has one will be the one I won’t buy.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase Drum Maps
Next Topic:

XF7 duplicating notes in range, HELP!! ››