mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Factory Reset Needed?"

Posted on: September 23, 2014 @ 02:18 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I’ve just started working with the John Melas package of software, having used only the synthesizer to this point. I’ve loaded B’s Knees, and Axxe and others into User Voice Banks, I’ve created a few Arps, changed many Voices in Mix mode, created Songs/Patterns and organized things in Master mode.

The Melas software seems very powerful and I’m already considering possibilities for re-arranging Voices, Perfs and creating individual ALL files for different gig scenarios.

However, having new software also makes me paranoid about doing something I can’t reverse. I have my current synth settings saved to thumbdrive as an ALL file. So now I’m wondering if I should (or should have already) saved an ALL version of the Factory Set-up, which I never did because I got impression it was pretty easily recalled. 

So, should I do a Factory Reset and save that ALL file?( Do I have to worry about waveforms and samples? I presume not, as they aren’t editable, but just asking.)

And are there additional Save/Store procedures or backup organizing tips when working with the Melas software?  I’m a little vague about moving between the individual Editors and the Total Librarian, but I’m hoping that will become clear as I dig in. 

Sorry for long-winded question.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2014 @ 02:34 PM
rower72
Total Posts:  22
Joined  08-31-2014

As far as i know you cant damage the presets from the Mox. If you are just playing around with userbanks for voices performances and arpeggios nothing is happening with your presets. If you change any settings in your Mox and it is not satifying you you can Always put it back on factory. By the way the all file does not have anything to do with your setting but only with your user voices performances and arpegios. The user performances which came from factory will be overwritten yes but can easily be recalled user voices from factory are just copies from presets so you got them already user arpeggio bank is empty from factory so no harm there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2014 @ 03:47 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
rower72 - 23 September 2014 02:34 PM

As far as i know you cant damage the presets from the Mox. If you are just playing around with userbanks for voices performances and arpeggios nothing is happening with your presets.

True, since the Presets are in ROM.

rower72 -

If you change any settings in your Mox and it is not satifying you you can Always put it back on factory.

True, but better have saved an “All” file of your own data first, because a factory reset overwrites all User memory.

rower72 -

By the way the all file does not have anything to do with your setting but only with your user voices performances and arpegios. The user performances which came from factory will be overwritten yes but can easily be recalled user voices from factory are just copies from presets so you got them already user arpeggio bank is empty from factory so no harm there.

That is inaccurate. Besides User Voices, Performances, and Arps, an “All” file includes all User settings/selections, Masters, Songs/Patterns, etc. If an “All” file is loaded, all of that data will be overwritten, and if the file isn’t a recently saved one (or it’s not your own), it’s possible to lose a lot of User data.

The advantage to saving an “All” file after doing a factory reset is that you could selectively load back factory data you might have accidentally overwritten and want to restore, without the need to do a factory reset again.

Saving “All” files frequently as you work can be a good idea. However, I suggest that they’re named in a manner that allows you to easily identify their content and age.

EDIT: By the way, in the thread for my moX-TEXT program, there’s a MOX “All” file that was made after a factory reset - you could download that. See: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/472111/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2014 @ 05:43 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

So your recommendation would be, for best of all possible worlds:

1. Do an ALL SAVE of my current MOX.

2. Do a Factory Reset

3. Do an ALL SAVE of the Factory version.

4. LOAD the ALL file of current MOX.

5. Use Melas software, but always Save/Store and save with a distinct file name.

6. If something needs to be brought back go to either the Current MOX ALL file, or the Factory ALL file.

I have the option of only reloading certain “lost” Perfs, Voices, etc from the ALL Factory (or Current) file? Or do a full on ALL file restore.

Thanks. Just want to make sure I have done the preliminary backing up before I venture into the Melas software with it’s own protocols.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2014 @ 08:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 23 September 2014 05:43 PM

So your recommendation would be, for best of all possible worlds:

1. Do an ALL SAVE of my current MOX.

2. Do a Factory Reset

3. Do an ALL SAVE of the Factory version.

4. LOAD the ALL file of current MOX.

5. Use Melas software, but always Save/Store and save with a distinct file name.

6. If something needs to be brought back go to either the Current MOX ALL file, or the Factory ALL file.

I have the option of only reloading certain “lost” Perfs, Voices, etc from the ALL Factory (or Current) file? Or do a full on ALL file restore.

Thanks. Just want to make sure I have done the preliminary backing up before I venture into the Melas software with it’s own protocols.

Those steps seems reasonable. However, if you download the MOX_ALL_factory.zip file in the thread I referred to, you should be able to eliminate steps 2 through 4.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2014 @ 04:45 AM
rower72
Total Posts:  22
Joined  08-31-2014

I think you ment by doing a factory reset will overwrite all user data you ment patterns and songs yes they are overwritten too i do them in cubase so for me thats not the case but i didnt think about the OP maybe he is doing it on the MOX so in that case he should do an all file save.

Is that file you posted also for the Moxf since i never made an al
file save. I dont think i will need it ever but just in case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2014 @ 08:49 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
rower72 - 24 September 2014 04:45 AM

I think you ment by doing a factory reset will overwrite all user data you ment patterns and songs yes they are overwritten too i do them in cubase so for me thats not the case but i didnt think about the OP maybe he is doing it on the MOX so in that case he should do an all file save.

I meant what I wrote, but further clarification wouldn’t hurt. A factory reset will overwrite all User data. That includes Utility mode settings, for example. When loading an “All” file, to avoid your Utility mode settings being changed, uncheck the “with System” box.

rower72 -

Is that file you posted also for the Moxf since i never made an al
file save. I dont think i will need it ever but just in case.

While a MOX “All” file can be loaded to a MOXF, what I posted is meant for the MOX.

[ Ignore ]