mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mox8 working with Protools 11 vs Cubase"

Posted on: September 17, 2014 @ 11:25 PM
Appleheist
Total Posts:  8
Joined  02-25-2014

Hello!

I am in the process of setting up my Mox8 to my new computer (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB ram, 516g SSD), and I was hoping to use Protools 11 as my main DAW program. From what I can tell, it seems that Protools should work just fine with the Mox8 since- I assume, since it is a professional DAW- is capable of using an ASIO driver.
However, all of the installation guides and manuals seem to be directed to Cubase users only; I’m a bit confused as to how it will run with other DAWs, such as Protools. I’ve read guides such as this one: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_and_your_computer_a_getting_started_guide
But I still need a little extra support.
Is there any particular order in downloading the driver, DAW, and extra downloads (Remote Tools and editor)? Ex: should I download the driver first, then Protools, and then the other downloads?
What is the role of Remote Tools and Editor in working with Protools? It seemed to only be useful for Cubase readers, but after reading it again, it sounds like it’s useful to all DAWs. Also, if it’s needed, how do I work it with Protools 11?

I wanted to be sure on the installation with this, because I had major complications in the installation process with my old computer. I understand that Cubase and Yamaha instruments are made for each other, but I’d rather not spend money on an extra DAW if my Mox8 can work just as well with Protools 11.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2014 @ 11:37 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Appleheist,

Welcome to Motifator.

The MOX works nicely with Pro Tools, but it depends on what you want out of it.

If working nicely means it works as an audio interface and a good MIDI controller with great sounds, then it works great.

The MOX Editor plug in is VST only, though.

Pro Tools doesn’t run VST plug ins, it only runs RTAS and AAX plug ins. (as well as TDM on the pro systems)

You can however run the standalone version of the MOX Editor, but that will be outside of Pro Tools.

There’s no specific order you need to install things in, but if you want to use your MOX as audio an interface for any DAW, then you need to install the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver.

Hope that helps a little.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2014 @ 07:18 AM
Appleheist
Joined  02-25-2014
philwoodmusic - 17 September 2014 11:37 PM

If working nicely means it works as an audio interface and a good MIDI controller with great sounds, then it works great.

Awesome! So I’ll be able to use the sounds from the Mox8 itself for the MIDI controller depending on how I set it up?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2014 @ 03:17 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes, you’ll be able to play and record sounds from your MOX and use your MOX to control software instruments too.

You’ll also be able to record audio to Pro Tools through your MOX’s audio inputs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2014 @ 10:43 AM
Appleheist
Joined  02-25-2014

Great, Thank you very much! :)

[ Ignore ]