mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "From Motif Classic/ES to XF"

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 02:00 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

I’m sorry if this subject was already discussed.
I remember an interesting and deep article on Motifator regarding the Voices conversion from ES format to XF one (thanks BM!)
But what about the other synthesizer sections, i.e. Performances, Masters, Arpeggios, Multis and Sequences? Can they be imported in some way into XF?
If a format converter existed, although limited in its functions, it would be a great timesaver.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 06:55 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Both the XS and XF will directly load ES files. I’ve done so several times. Some Voices won’t sound exactly the same as with an ES (although they’re often close enough), and there are some other limitations.

See pages 236-237 of the XF Reference Manual and these threads:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/450652/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/373048/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/397183/

Classic files can’t be directly loaded to the XS/XF. If you have access to an ES, Classic Voices (only) will load to it, and then new ES files can be saved that will load to the XS/XF.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460252/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 09:51 AM
digitalperformer7
Joined  12-07-2011

5PinDin

Thanks for your reply.
As usual it’s a pity that Yamaha itself doesn’t provide a way to inherit data from an instrument to its successor.
It would be so useful and helped people not wasting tons of hours to do what’s already done in the past.
Anyway, all in all, we’re half guilty. When we’re aware that just few data can be imported, we should skip buying a newer workstation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 10:27 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
digitalperformer7 - 16 September 2014 09:51 AM

As usual it’s a pity that Yamaha itself doesn’t provide a way to inherit data from an instrument to its successor.
It would be so useful and helped people not wasting tons of hours to do what’s already done in the past.

There was a fairly large change in architecture from the Classic to the ES, which of course limits the ability to transfer data. There was less change from the ES to the XS and XF, so there’s much more data compatibility. While I can appreciate the desire for complete backward compatibility, the practicality of doing that is sometimes limited by cost.

digitalperformer7 -

Anyway, all in all, we’re half guilty. When we’re aware that just few data can be imported, we should skip buying a newer workstation.

A fairly high percentage of ES data can be directly loaded to an XS or XF. With modern technology, it’s rare when you don’t give up something old to get something new. I suppose that if you’re satisfied with the features and performance of a model you already own, then there really isn’t a good reason to purchase a later one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 11:32 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
digitalperformer7 - 16 September 2014 09:51 AM

Voice data can be freely transferred from older to newer instruments.

Performances don’t translate because the pointers to voices will be incorrect between instruments

Sequences don’t translate because of differences between the sequencers in each instrument. You do have the option to use SMF but you will need to recreate the Mixing for each sequence. You can extract any sample voices and waveforms found in sequences.

Arpeggios from an ES can be loaded into an XS or XF.

I started with an ES and now have an XF, I still have access to all my data (I don’t use performances) including voices originally for the Classic and MO instruments.  It took a while to do all the needed conversions, but it was worth it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 08:26 AM
digitalperformer7
Joined  12-07-2011

Thanks guys ;-)

[ Ignore ]