mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using the Motif XS as multitimbral soundmodule"

Posted on: August 30, 2014 @ 06:12 PM
dirkc_be
Total Posts:  13
Joined  05-25-2009

Hello world!

I’m trying to connect Ableton Live 9 to my Motif XS7 (no rack!).

When I read the manual, I see that you first have to push [SONG] or [PATTERN], select a song/pattern without data, active [MIXER] and then set up the mixing for parts 1 till 16 if necessary.

OK, the last instruction I don’t understand (.. if necessary?).

And for practical reasons I detach the keyboard from the soundmodule (Local = Off).

First some questions:

> I want the Motif XS to behave as multitimbral soundmodule. How do I define this?
> What do I do with the buttons Song and Pattern?
> Is there a possibility to see if MIDI data in streaming in the synth?
> Are there others guys on this forum that are also using Ableton, because I find different methods to connect it with the Motif XS, so all advice is welcome

Thanks for answering this mail!

Dirk

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2014 @ 08:07 AM
freekey58
Total Posts:  37
Joined  11-15-2008
dirkc_be - 30 August 2014 06:12 PM

Hello world!

I’m trying to connect Ableton Live 9 to my Motif XS7 (no rack!).

When I read the manual, I see that you first have to push [SONG] or [PATTERN], select a song/pattern without data, active [MIXER] and then set up the mixing for parts 1 till 16 if necessary.

OK, the last instruction I don’t understand (.. if necessary?).

And for practical reasons I detach the keyboard from the soundmodule (Local = Off).

First some questions:

> I want the Motif XS to behave as multitimbral soundmodule. How do I define this?
> What do I do with the buttons Song and Pattern?
> Is there a possibility to see if MIDI data in streaming in the synth?
> Are there others guys on this forum that are also using Ableton, because I find different methods to connect it with the Motif XS, so all advice is welcome

Thanks for answering this mail!

Dirk

To start with the last one: I use Logic, and I connect it through USB, all midi signals go to and from the DAW that way. Works fine, once the driver is installed. Look for posts on how to do that.

The first question: choose Song or Pattern as your option. 2nd one answered as well :-)

In my DAW each track can be defined midi-wise: what patch, the volume, etc. When you load the song, it sends all the data to the XS. If you selected Song or Pattern first, you should see presets changed underneath the ‘Voice’ header.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2014 @ 07:25 PM
ptrmetro
Total Posts:  23
Joined  03-04-2009

I used both Ableton Live 9 and Motif XS 8 in my studio.
The only way this task could of been possible is if you were able use the Motif XS Editor as a plugin in Live 9. Unfortunately, Live 9 is not VST3 compatible at this time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 02:32 PM
dirkc_be
Joined  05-25-2009
ptrmetro - 31 August 2014 07:25 PM

I used both Ableton Live 9 and Motif XS 8 in my studio.
The only way this task could of been possible is if you were able use the Motif XS Editor as a plugin in Live 9. Unfortunately, Live 9 is not VST3 compatible at this time.

Dear, this WE I succeeded to link Ableton Live 9 with the Motif XS without the use of the VST you mentioned! I know, it is only supported by DAWs that recognize VST3.

So, I have e.g. in a song three tracks that are linked with three instruments of choice in the Motif XS and combinations with VST’s are also possible.

For the moment I still have to define the sounds on the Motif but I’m looking for a solution to define the instruments from inside Ableton Live 9, which - according to some posts of the Ableton-forum - is also possible.

I use also the Motif XS as a MIDI-controller!

So, if you are interested in details of “how to”, just ask!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 02:38 PM
dirkc_be
Joined  05-25-2009
freekey58 - 31 August 2014 08:07 AM
dirkc_be - 30 August 2014 06:12 PM

To start with the last one: I use Logic, and I connect it through USB, all midi signals go to and from the DAW that way. Works fine, once the driver is installed. Look for posts on how to do that.

The first question: choose Song or Pattern as your option. 2nd one answered as well :-)

In my DAW each track can be defined midi-wise: what patch, the volume, etc. When you load the song, it sends all the data to the XS. If you selected Song or Pattern first, you should see presets changed underneath the ‘Voice’ header.

Dear, I use an USB cable and I found also the settings on the Motif XS to link sounds of the tone generator to the tracks within Ableton Live 9.

The only things that is not yet clear is how to chose the sound from within Live, so that all settings are stored in the song-file.
But I found some good suggestions, so I hope it will work out!

Thanks for your! reaction!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2014 @ 03:12 PM
ptrmetro
Total Posts:  23
Joined  03-04-2009

Yes, you can use the Motif XS as a midi controller with Live 9.
Live 9 can communicate with The Motif XS via firewire, usb or midi ports. You cannot use the motif XS as a plugin (multitimbral Instrument) in Live 9 unless you use the MOTIF XS EDITOR.
Currently Live 9 is not VST3 compatible and the motif xs editor is a VST3 plugin.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2014 @ 12:08 PM
dirkc_be
Joined  05-25-2009
ptrmetro - 02 September 2014 03:12 PM

Yes, you can use the Motif XS as a midi controller with Live 9.
Live 9 can communicate with The Motif XS via firewire, usb or midi ports. You cannot use the motif XS as a plugin (multitimbral Instrument) in Live 9 unless you use the MOTIF XS EDITOR.
Currently Live 9 is not VST3 compatible and the motif xs editor is a VST3 plugin.

That is correct! Thanks anyway for your quick answers and enjoy playing music!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2014 @ 01:47 PM
dirkc_be
Joined  05-25-2009

Just to conclude this thread, I’ll explain how to connect the Motif XS and Ableton Live… but not in the classic way.
It is true that you can’t use a VST3, but there is a workaround.

> In Ableton you create “clips” when recording in a track. For clips you can define the bank number and instrument of choice in the Motif. On the track level you can say that you connect with the Motif and to what channel. So, the link is established!
To hear the sound in Ableton you have to create an Audio-track that “listens” to the incoming sounds of the Motif.
> On the Motif, you first uncouple the keyboard from the tone generator ( local = off) and press [SONG] and [MIXING] to turn the machine in a multitimbral tone generator.

Now comes the clear part: what you see on the Motif display is the Mixer. For each channel you have all parameters (reverb, pan, volume etc.)
So all these controls you can do there, instead of inside Ableton and it works fine!

Even combining with VST’s or own instruments inside Ableton is possible.

So, problem solves!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Hawaiian Guitar?
Next Topic:

Power issue with XS6 ... sometimes won’t turn on ››