mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif xf S700 sample velocity problem!!"

Posted on: August 28, 2014 @ 05:36 PM
Jazzplayer7
Total Posts:  66
Joined  01-20-2008

When I play the s700 sample on my xf 88 I have a hard time enjoying it because I have to play harder to get it to sound normal. Also its harder to accent and play with dynamics because it comes out soft and detached. Every other preset voice is fine. Even the power and jazz grand samples are ok. It just the s700 that has an issue with velocity. How do I fix this?

In my older s30 synth, there is a tab to adjust key velocity which I had to do to several voices from 64-127 to 1-127. I can’t find it anywhere on the motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2014 @ 07:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460296/
-- and --
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/452054/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2014 @ 11:10 PM
Jazzplayer7
Joined  01-20-2008

Thanks I looked into that, but I’m still a little confused? When I adjust velocity in utility its a global change. I just want to change for the specific voice(s700). When I play it in performance mode its fine. Just in voice mode I have to play harder especially in softer music.

Anyone who uses the s700 sample, what can I do to get it to sound better not only with velocity but in general like eq and stuff?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2014 @ 11:24 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I give up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 01:43 AM
DschoKeys
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-08-2005

5pinDIN’s links provided not only a solution for global velocity change but also a solution on a “per Voice basis” . Please read the linked threads again!

All the best, :)

Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 11:03 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Dscho Keys is right - especially important to read the second link, which is to a post by
Bad Mister explaining how to adjust velocity sensitivity in VOICE EDIT mode.

Jazzplaya, you need to look into learning how to edit an individual voice. You’re referring to
the S700 voice as a “sample” but you’re not playing a sample, you’re playing a voice (Yamaha’s term for a “sound").

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 09:04 PM
Jazzplayer7
Joined  01-20-2008

Ok I’ll read the 2nd again,
Dave, I know I’m playing a voice, I was referring to it as a voice not a sample.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2014 @ 01:02 PM
Jazzplayer7
Joined  01-20-2008

I played around with each element and I was right, They were set on hard and none. I adjusted them to soft and normal, but it started acting real strange. I got uneven responses from each element.
Has anyone else come up with a proven velocity method for this voice?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2014 @ 11:34 AM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
Jazzplaya777 - 01 October 2014 01:02 PM

I played around with each element and I was right, They were set on hard and none. I adjusted them to soft and normal, but it started acting real strange. I got uneven responses from each element.
Has anyone else come up with a proven velocity method for this voice?

What do you mean, each element was set on “hard”? There is no velocity setting of “hard”
per element. There are velocity filter settings and velocity to amplitude settings, and they
are numerous - for example, on the filter page of an element, you can set velocity response for filter cutoff, filter resonance, filter EG depth, filter attack, decay, and release. The parameters usually go from 0 (no velocity response) to 64 or 127, the highest number being
the most sensitivity to velocity. For the amp EG page, you can set velocity response for level (loudness), attack, decay, and release. On both pages, you can also set velocity to be positive or negative, negative meaning that the harder you play, the “quieter” it will get.

For the amp EG, a higher number setting for velocity to level will mean it takes more velocity to make it louder. You can also set the velocity curve here - from 1 to 4. It’s easier to “feel”
how setting the velocity curve to different numbers affects the response than it is to describe it.

You can also set the velocity window for each element, so that it only “comes on” at a certain velocity. You can also set the crossfade for each element so that it “ramps in” smoothly from a particular start level rather than “suddenly” coming on.

At any rate, there are a large number of ways to set velocity per element - and there is
more than one element in the S700 voice.

You might want to check into selecting one of the other piano voices, such as “Full Grand”, and changing the OSCILLATOR for each element to S700 oscillators. If you like that result you can save that as a new voice, with a new name, to a user bank location.

You may want to check out getting this DVD. Although it explains things using the Motif ES, the principles apply to all synthesizers:

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/dvds/motif-series-yamaha-dvds/sound-advice-dvd.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2014 @ 04:41 PM
Jazzplayer7
Joined  01-20-2008

Dave, I mean the curve picture that shows up under the amplitude tab. I tried replicating the full grand settings to the s700 but it doesn’t come out right. The velocity and loudness gets really un playable

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2014 @ 07:57 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
Jazzplaya777 - 04 October 2014 04:41 PM
Dave, I mean the curve picture that shows up under the amplitude tab. I tried replicating the full grand settings to the s700 but it doesn’t come out right. The velocity and loudness gets really un playable[/

I suggest just keep trying different things
until you get what you want. I certainly dont
know what else to tell you.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Exporting Stems???
Next Topic:

Duplicated waveforms ››