mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif SX8 as a midi controller"

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 12:45 PM
steve34223
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-21-2010

Dear fellow Motif owners. I own a Motif SX8 and I have a few questions on the Motif’s ability as a midi controller:
1)I know it transmits volume, but does it transmit expression?
2)Can the 8 sliders be programmed to transmit midi data? If yes, how?
3) I have a difficult time trying to figure out the motif’s total abilities when it comes to transmitting midi data. Is there some instructions or booklet, other than the manual, that detail this----- I have a very difficult time understanding the motif manual. Thank you in advance for your time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 02:50 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Yes, Expression can be transmitted.

As for sliders and knobs, in Master Mode you can assign each of the sliders and knobs to any Control Change number between 1-95, on any MIDI Channel.

Press [MASTER]
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F2] OTHER
Set the ZONE SWITCH = ON
Set the KNOB CONTROL ASSIGN = ZONE

There’s a ton of information and articles here on Motifator.com - just search on a topic by keyword(s) - but you might also find the Motif XS Masterclass DVD helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 04:03 PM
steve34223
Joined  03-21-2010

Thank You very much Mr.Motif----- I’m going with a computer music system by the end of the year. I’ll really need your expertise( I think) when that happens---- especially in terms of how the motif interacts with computers. Hope I will be able to reach you thru this forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 05:53 PM
MrMotif
Joined  10-02-2002

You’re very welcome. Running Motif with a computer system is very powerful but, depending on what you want to accomplish, can also throw up a lot of ‘who’s the boss here?’ type of issues. Although you’ll almost certainly want to complete a serious recording on a DAW I think the immediacy of the Motif’s own sequencing engine is often overlooked when it comes to composition and arrangement. Working on a DAW, the temptation is always getting too far into ‘production’ mode before you’ve really finishing the writing. Sometimes working on a (more limited power) workstation like Motif pays dividends in terms of enhancing the initial creative process.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 10:37 AM
steve34223
Joined  03-21-2010
MrMotif - 26 August 2014 05:53 PM

You’re very welcome. Running Motif with a computer system is very powerful but, depending on what you want to accomplish, can also throw up a lot of ‘who’s the boss here?’ type of issues. Although you’ll almost certainly want to complete a serious recording on a DAW I think the immediacy of the Motif’s own sequencing engine is often overlooked when it comes to composition and arrangement. Working on a DAW, the temptation is always getting too far into ‘production’ mode before you’ve really finishing the writing. Sometimes working on a (more limited power) workstation like Motif pays dividends in terms of enhancing the initial creative process.

I understand what you’re saying. I’ve been using the internal sequencer for several years. I’m at the point now where I want to do some serious orchestral arrangements using very powerful orchestral samples. I still plan on using the Motif as a sound module in addition to a midi controller. I hope you’ll be around to answer Motif questions in the future.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 11:08 AM
MrMotif
Joined  10-02-2002

Me too :)

[ Ignore ]