mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help…Is my flash board corrupted?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 09:18 AM
Xenovir.V
Total Posts:  8
Joined  03-08-2012

Hi.

I have just tried to re-format one of my flash boards (512Mb). After letting it run some time, it gave a message of ‘can’t execute’. When I checked again the board becomes zero size. After restart, it said the flash cannot be recognised. I then tried formatting it again. It kept saying ‘Can’t execute’. I tried switching the positions of the 2 flash boards or factory reset. But it didn’t help.

It is a rather new board and I have not written things on it much. There have been no disruption of power during any procedures. Anyone can give me advise? I worry the board is somehow corrupted…

Thanks a lot!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 10:26 AM
Xenovir.V
Joined  03-08-2012

By the way, this is the first time I do the formatting in v1.50. I have no trouble in previous versions. I am hesitated to format the other board ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 01:01 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Not sure if it could be a problem but are you saying you now have two flashboards installed formatted from two different OS’s?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 02:54 PM
KateHudYF
Total Posts:  1
Joined  08-22-2014

Great. Information. I love it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 04:03 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

OS version shouldnt affect the Flash board recognition and function, I hope?  Flash board initialization and content isnt OS version dependent, is it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 04:10 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011
motidave - 22 August 2014 04:03 PM

OS version shouldnt affect the Flash board recognition and function, I hope?  Flash board initialization and content isnt OS version dependent, is it?

Well I might not be the best answer ...
but I agree.
When I first formatted the flash memory on my 1st XF,
it was using firmware v1.10… I think?, this was back in Sept ‘11,
I upgraded to v1.3, skipping 1.2,
then to v1.4, and then to the present v1.5.
There isn’t going to be any ‘formatting’ now.
Formatting the 1gb flash memory now would result in initializing the sounds we’ve recorded on them as samples.
Anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 04:14 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
yamahaFan - 22 August 2014 04:10 PM
motidave - 22 August 2014 04:03 PM

Well I might not be the best answer ...
but I agree because when I first formatted the memory on my xf now it was using firmware v1.10 I think?, this was back in Sept ‘11,
I upgraded to v1.3,
then to v1.4, and then to the present v1.5.
There isn’t going to be any ‘formatting’ now.
Formatting the 1gb flash memory now would result in initializing the sounds we’ve recorded on them as samples.
Anyone?

yamahaFan, I’m not saying you would need to do it (because I don’t know), but you certainly have the option of SAVING an ALL WAVEFORM file WITH SAMPLES...re-formatting the Flash Board...and then re-LOADING the Sample data to it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 04:17 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011
cmayhle - 22 August 2014 04:14 PM

yamahaFan, I’m not saying you would need to do it (because I don’t know), but you certainly have the option of SAVING an ALL WAVEFORM file WITH SAMPLES...re-formatting the Flash Board...and then re-LOADING the Sample data.

Good point.
I should also reload one of the AllFiles from back in ‘12 when a different OS was on the XF and see if I can hear a difference as well.
Marc

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 10:29 PM
Xenovir.V
Joined  03-08-2012

Thanks everyone’s input :)

What I mean is I have 2 flash boards installed. This is the first time I do formatting in v1.50. I can’t remember when was the last formatting in which OS version. I seldom do formatting.

UPDATE
I have tried ‘down-grading’ the OS to v1.30, the most earliest OS I can get from Yamaha site. It did not help the formatting situation.

Any thoughts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 10:48 PM
Xenovir.V
Joined  03-08-2012

Actually this 512M board comes with my XF 2 years ago for free, with the Inspiration in a flash pre-installed. So its out of warranty. Not sure if I would have confidence in a new flash board again from yamaha ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 11:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The OS version shouldn’t matter, as cmayhle already mentioned.

I’d suggest:
1) Install the “good” flash module in slot 1, nothing in slot 2, and verify that the XF can read samples from it. If it can, continue with #2. If not, let us know what happens.
2) Remove the “good” module from slot 1 and replace it with the “bad” one. Follow the directions on pages 76-77 of the XF Owner’s Manual, especially step 4-2.
3) Follow section 6 on page 77, and try to format the “bad” module.

If you are unsuccessful, then the module would seem to be faulty.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2014 @ 04:06 AM
Xenovir.V
Joined  03-08-2012
5pinDIN - 22 August 2014 11:03 PM

The OS version shouldn’t matter, as cmayhle already mentioned.

I’d suggest:
1) Install the “good” flash module in slot 1, nothing in slot 2, and verify that the XF can read samples from it. If it can, continue with #2. If not, let us know what happens.
2) Remove the “good” module from slot 1 and replace it with the “bad” one. Follow the directions on pages 76-77 of the XF Owner’s Manual, especially step 4-2.
3) Follow section 6 on page 77, and try to format the “bad” module.

If you are unsuccessful, then the module would seem to be faulty.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I tried your instructions. However the flash still cannot be formatted.

It just comes into mind that I actually noticed a loss of some of the USER voices that use materials in that flash (inspiration in a flash) before I found the issue. I originally thought somehow I had screwed up the settings during various operations. Now I seems it may indicate a fault in the flash.

It’s out of warranty. So would you suggest I try finding local shops to repair it? Or just forget it and get a new board?

Anyone has experience or success repairing a flash board?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2014 @ 12:00 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

I’d just buy a new flashboard. You can
certainly call some electronic service shops
and see if they can fix yours, of course. In
my experience, once a flashboard is gone,
its gone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2014 @ 01:34 AM
Xenovir.V
Joined  03-08-2012
DavePolich - 24 August 2014 12:00 PM

its gone.

I see. Thanks a lot Dave for your advice.

Would you say it’s normal to have the flash board gone after 2 years, without much write and delete (it is only for the purpose of storing the inspiration in a flash)? Any thoughts or suggestions to us the XF users to possibly minimise such fault?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2014 @ 01:44 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Xenovir.V - 25 August 2014 01:34 AM
DavePolich - 24 August 2014 12:00 PM

its gone.

I see. Thanks a lot Dave for your advice.

Would you say it’s normal to have the flash board gone after 2 years, without much write and delete (it is only for the purpose of storing the inspiration in a flash)? Any thoughts or suggestions to us the XF users to possibly minimise such fault?

File it under “crap happens”. Of course its not normal but any electronic part can fail.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 02:36 AM
Xenovir.V
Joined  03-08-2012

Crap seldom happens to Japan-made electronics, at least for me. This flash is really exceptional…

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ VST Editor for XS8
Next Topic:

Note - On Event trigger .wav audio in Midi File ››