mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using iPad Air with MOXF8(V.1.10 driver question)"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: July 19, 2014 @ 10:44 PM
bdpianoman
Total Posts:  18
Joined  05-07-2014

I am new to the MOXF8 and to music production; so,please excuse my crude knowledge of the “art”.  I am trying to connect my iPad Air to my MOXF8 for editing/recording via use of a DAW(most likely Cubasis).  It was previously my understanding that I would need to use an audio interface to help accomplish this, especially since the MOXF8 was not class compliant.  Now with the creation of the V.1.10 driver, does that negate my need to use an audio interface?  (ie can I connect directly from the MIDI USB port on the MOXF8 to my iPad Air?)Thanks for any advice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 07:11 PM
kiborg
Total Posts:  33
Joined  10-17-2008

Yes, you can do this. I have the same configuration (MOXF6). Only what you need is lightning to USB adapter for IPAD Air. MOXF has already audio interface. When you make this connection audio out from Ipad will go directly to MOXF headphones or main output. You can use synths from MOXF or Ipad or Ipads Garage-band or Cubasis, whatever. Works excellent. You can quickly switch what you want to hear using quick setups in moxf and (or) save this in Master mode. Main surprise came when I connected Kurzweil PC3 to Moxf MIDI input. (I coudn’t do it on my XS. I had to choose midi or usb.) Then I was able to play Ipad,s synths using PC3 keyboard without triggering Moxf sound engine. It looks like Moxf midi in is just bypassing moxf engine and going directly to moxf USB interface midi out. Unbelievable. And if I connect PC3 out to Moxf inputs possibilities are endless and everything goes out from MOXF. Kurzweil is still the best available keyboard midi controller which can control all this things and MOXF is just awesome machine. IMO integrated audio interface is something that is giving big plus to MOXF comparing to MOTIF XF or XS or any other synth on the market. One midi and one USB cable and you have home studio. Wow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 07:34 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

kiborg, just to clarify, are you using the USB connection to the iPad for audio?  Are you able to get MOXF audio directly into the iPad and record using only the USB cable?  I did not try it with the 1.10 update, but this did not seem previously possible as the MOXF was not class-compliant.  If that has changed, then this is really exciting news.

I have been able to use USB MIDI to the iPad, but I have to connect the iPad’s 1/8” audio output to the A/D input of the MOXF if I want to hear it back through the MOXF headphones/mains.  You are able to do this without any audio cables?

If I have time, I’ll hopefully try this out tonight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 07:36 PM
kiborg
Total Posts:  33
Joined  10-17-2008

Yes, USB is transferring MIDI and audio together. That’s the best part

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 10:33 PM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

Wow!!!!  This FANTASTIC!!!!  Thanks for pointing this out.  I really appreciate it.  Is this new with 1.10 because I did not know anyone who got it to work with 1.03.  I can drop my audio cables now.  I have audio coming from the iPad into the MOXF and I can also record the MOXF into Auria on the iPad all with the USB cable.  The MOXF has already blown me away, but this was the one feature that would be the icing on the cake...and here it is!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2014 @ 02:57 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Agree with you SSquared, that is really fantastic!
I’m using iPad2 and waiting for brand new iPad Air. For iPad2 I could only use MOXF 5pin MIDI in/out connected via I-MX1 interface.
You have mentioned v1.10? Have I missed something? Is it new version of MOXF OS? I was two weeks on vacation and I didn’t have stable internet connection…
Maybe I should try at first to upgrade MOXF firmware and than USB connection with iPad2?

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2014 @ 03:20 PM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

Yeah, I know both of us had tried to get it to work in the past.  I think this may have been part of the new MOXF OS that was just released.  I could never get this to work before that.

Yes, plug in the iPad using CCK/USB.  I think you need to set the MOXF for 2StereoRec and maybe some other switches as defined here: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf6_moxf8_basic_audio_recording.

The A/D Input and synth both have their own Audio channel.  I was able to record the A/D Input in one channel in Auria and the MOXF sound in a separate channel.  It did seem to greatly increase the CPU usage when I went to record.  I also find Auria crashes if I hook things up PRIOR to opening Auria.  Open Auria and then connect the USB cable.

I will point out, I have only tried this particular feature with an iPad running iOS 6.1.3.  I still need to try it with iOS 7.  But the new MOXF OS did fix iOS 7 compatibility with USB.  You should no longer need the MIDI interface with iOS 7 devices.  Tested out MIDI over USB with an iPad 2 running iOS 7.

Also, an added benefit to the USB/Audio ability is you don’t get the sound to cut off when switching patches on the MOXF.  The A/D Input goes silent for a split second when switching patches.

EDIT:  I can’t remember if you are on Vista, but the latest MOXF OS will not work with Vista.  The older Yamaha/Steinberg USB Vista driver will not recognize the synth and the latest driver does not work on Vista.  I am still working on getting things working on Win7, but having issues.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2014 @ 05:21 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Thanks SSquared for detail replay. I found yesterday after reading this post all updates and downloaded them. Still don’t have time to try all of these since I’m on some trip out of my equipment, but it is nice to know what is working.
I never used Vista, but I’m using Win7 SP1 32bit. Hope also that I will got Mac Mini in a near future, then I also will using OSX.
As soon as I test my MOXF with new firmware, I will post my experience.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2014 @ 03:41 PM
Botanicus
Total Posts:  20
Joined  06-03-2014

Sorry for duplicate posts in related threads, but I just updated the MOXF6 to v1.10 and also have the latest iOS software for my iPad air, but when I plug in the iPad to the ‘to device’ USB port I get an error message saying ‘incompatible USB device’.

Hope I can get this to work.  Thanks!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2014 @ 12:06 PM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

You will need to use a USB cable with an A plug on one end, and B on the other; a USB printer cable.  Attach the B end into ‘To Host’ on the MOXF.  Attach the A end to the Camera Connection Kit and connect that to your iPad.

At this point, you should now be able to get both audio and MIDI between the two devices.

For Audio: On the MOXF, be sure the DAW Level slider is down to 0.  Play something from the iTunes app and slowly move the DAW level up.  You should hear audio.

For MIDI:  This may require some setup of MIDI Channels depending on the iPad app you are using.  Go to Voice mode.  By default, I think the MOXF is setup for MIDI Channel 1.  Open your synth app on the iPad.  If the app is set to MIDI Channel 1 or OMNI, you should hear it play (along with your MOXF sound).  To really get the most out of this, you will need to create new Masters.  Please ask if you have questions about this.

If you want to use the Yamaha apps (like Voice Editor, for example), one thing to note is, I think these apps default to use Wireless MIDI.  To fix this, go to the Settings/Options menu by clicking on the wheel in the upper right.  There is a selection for MIDI Type.  Select ‘Cable’ and be sure to also select the MOXF for ‘Model Select’.

I hope you get this working.  Let us know if you have any more questions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2014 @ 12:20 PM
Botanicus
Total Posts:  20
Joined  06-03-2014
SSquared - 28 July 2014 12:06 PM

You will need to use a USB cable with an A plug on one end, and B on the other; a USB printer cable.  Attach the B end into ‘To Host’ on the MOXF.  Attach the A end to the Camera Connection Kit and connect that to your iPad.

At this point, you should now be able to get both audio and MIDI between the two devices.

For Audio: On the MOXF, be sure the DAW Level slider is down to 0.  Play something from the iTunes app and slowly move the DAW level up.  You should hear audio.

For MIDI:  This may require some setup of MIDI Channels depending on the iPad app you are using.  Go to Voice mode.  By default, I think the MOXF is setup for MIDI Channel 1.  Open your synth app on the iPad.  If the app is set to MIDI Channel 1 or OMNI, you should hear it play (along with your MOXF sound).  To really get the most out of this, you will need to create new Masters.  Please ask if you have questions about this.

If you want to use the Yamaha apps (like Voice Editor, for example), one thing to note is, I think these apps default to use Wireless MIDI.  To fix this, go to the Settings/Options menu by clicking on the wheel in the upper right.  There is a selection for MIDI Type.  Select ‘Cable’ and be sure to also select the MOXF for ‘Model Select’.

I hope you get this working.  Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the useful info.  Someone kindly sent a link to the proper cable/adaptor in the other thread.  That post and yours should get me going in good shape!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2014 @ 09:49 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Finally!!!!

I have updated my MOXF6 to 1.10 and also USB driver to v1.8.6.
Final results are summarized here:

Now MOXF works nicely using USB cable only with my
iPad2 (iOS 7.1.2). For connection I have used standard camera connection kit (30-pin to USB interface for iPad 2).

I have tried both MIDI and audio in latest Cubasis and all works fine. In Cubasis all MOXF MIDI ports are recognized and for audio channels 3,4 should be selected for MOXF recording. For audio in, channels 1,2 should be selected. Someone posted that in Utility mode recording should be set to 1StereoREc, but NO. You should just have to specify whether you are recording audio in (1,2) or part (3,4). I have left all settings in Utility mode without any altering.

I have also tried to use some software synths on iPad like SampleTank and Alchemy and they works, but some latency is present. If only MIDI is used for triggering soft synths, latency is low.

Audiobus is nice solution if you want to record or mix your audio from MOXF to unsupported apps like iRig Recorder. As Audiobus input a Sound Device 3,4 should be selected and iRig Recorder as a output app. Than, when you run iRig Recorder you could record your audio from MOXF.

It is very impressive what could be done using MOXF and iPad and this upgrade is a must!!!

Also, all Yamaha apps works without any issue. Receiving and transmitting from and to MOXF is done in a second.

At the end, I have checked newest USB driver 1.8.6 on my Win7 SP1 laptop using Cubase 7.5.2 as a DAW. No issues again!

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2014 @ 12:58 PM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear it’s working for you.

I’ll have to test with iGrand Piano to get a better idea of latency.  I pretty much just tested using Alchemy and slow attack pad sounds.

I used to use the iPad in my live setup, but stopped earlier this year (probably around the time I got the MOXF6).  Now I’m looking at adding it back in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2014 @ 07:59 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

SSquared - 29 July 2014 12:58 PM

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear it’s working for you.

I’ll have to test with iGrand Piano to get a better idea of latency.  I pretty much just tested using Alchemy and slow attack pad sounds.

I used to use the iPad in my live setup, but stopped earlier this year (probably around the time I got the MOXF6).  Now I’m looking at adding it back in.

I couldn’t hear any latency while playing iGrand Piano. But, with Sample Tank there are so much pops, esp. while playing sequence on all 4 parts.. Also with Alchemy latency could be heard (somewhat less with pad sounds), although I have tried to increase the buffer settings. Maybe iPad2 is too slow for new iOS and the latest software versions. If someone have these apps and iPad Air it would be nice if he/she could share results.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2014 @ 12:07 AM
syamtajuddin
Total Posts:  19
Joined  06-18-2014

Hello.
It’s great to hear that your ipad works flawlessly with MOXF. However, I can’t get it to work. I am using iPad 3, connected to MOXF using Yamaha i-UX1. The midi send works great, means it works great as midi controller. However, I can’t get audio to be recorded to iPad (auria app). I’ve tried altering the settings, but still nothing works. Auria only detects mic input. Is there anymore setting to be tweaked, or does Yamaha i-UX1 cable did not support audio recording?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2014 @ 07:21 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
syamtajuddin - 02 August 2014 12:07 AM

[...]I am using iPad 3, connected to MOXF using Yamaha i-UX1. The midi send works great, means it works great as midi controller. However, I can’t get audio to be recorded to iPad (auria app). I’ve tried altering the settings, but still nothing works. Auria only detects mic input. Is there anymore setting to be tweaked, or does Yamaha i-UX1 cable did not support audio recording?

A 5-pin-DIN connection won’t work. While USB has sufficient bandwidth to support sending audio via it, MIDI does not.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_1.0

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ No Cubae MOXF MIDI device?
Next Topic:

Amendment to my query re Firmware update from 1.01 ››