mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Getting noise! when MOX connected through USB"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: July 05, 2014 @ 06:09 AM
pranav_mox6
Total Posts:  38
Joined  05-24-2014

Hi!
Decided to record my MOX6 from audio interface Line inputs. I connect MOX to audio interface’s input. It is also connected as USB device to computer. But when I arm the track I get noise(Hissing). When I remove the USB cable I dont get noise.

I want my MOX to be connected to USB as I’m recording the MIDI performance from DAW to MOX and to audio interface(Well I followed bit of Andy M’s instruction on MOX editor in Studio one).

Why am I getting noise when the MOX connected as USB? Well I tried disconnecting USB cable. The noise disappeared totally.

Tried changing USB cable, Line in cable(I thought the noise might be coming from that)

Image Attachments
connected to USB.jpgnot connected to USB.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2014 @ 07:58 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

This is pretty common.

You have a problem with the power grounding between your computer, interface and the MOX. Start by plugging them all into the same outlet.

Why are you not using the MOX’s audio over USB feature?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2014 @ 10:09 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

Mox’s audio over usb is too limiting for me, how am I supposed to hear all my other equipment?

I finally got the usb working so I can use the editor and midi I/O together with my interface.

Haven’t noticed any noise though.

Wish they would write a midi driver like the mo6 had so I could use that without installing audio devices etc. that I don’t use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2014 @ 03:11 AM
pranav_mox6
Joined  05-24-2014

You have a problem with the power grounding between your computer, interface and the MOX. Start by plugging them all into the same outlet.

I don’t know how this is power grounding issue but I did tried this solution, NO USE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2014 @ 03:13 AM
pranav_mox6
Joined  05-24-2014

Why are you not using the MOX’s audio over USB feature?

Tried already. It crashes every time when I use audio over USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2014 @ 03:21 AM
pranav_mox6
Joined  05-24-2014

I finally got the usb working so I can use the editor and midi I/O together with my interface.

Does that mean you are also doing as I am? Well it records my MOX, but I get lot of noisy track. I then have to use gate plugin. I have to use that for every track.....headache!

Please help guys!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2014 @ 04:27 AM
abdol
Total Posts:  318
Joined  05-30-2012

It could also be due to other USB peripheral devices such as keyboard or mouse etc. Unpulg all USB devices and see if you still have noise or not.

My wireless mouse used to interfere and make a slight buzz noise. It took a me few days to figure it out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2014 @ 01:45 AM
pranav_mox6
Joined  05-24-2014

Other USB! No, not possible. It started when I connected MOX via USB. It wasn’t there at all before.

Alright can anyone guide me how can I connect MOX via MIDI cable to my audio interface(which has MIDI in/out connections)? I have only one MIDI cable. Do I need one more?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2014 @ 09:57 AM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

I believe if you use MIDI cables, you cannot use the editor as a plugin.

How to connect: You need two MIDI cables, one for MIDI OUT from MOX to MIDI IN on interface and one for MIDI OUT on interface to MIDI IN on MOX...done!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2014 @ 10:00 AM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005
pranav_mox6 - 07 July 2014 03:11 AM

I don’t know how this is power grounding issue but I did tried this solution, NO USE.

Trust me, it is a grounding problem in the computer. Getting rid of it is usually a matter of lots of trial and error until you can get the noise to stop.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2014 @ 02:07 AM
pranav_mox6
Joined  05-24-2014

Alright Mr. meatballfulton, I’ll keep trying.

And if the editor won’t work through midi, its no use....Well its bad news for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2014 @ 08:44 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

Yes, it is a grounding issue, but not one that is solved by using the same power outlet. See: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/467963/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2014 @ 09:17 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

For one approach, see http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/461757/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2014 @ 02:54 AM
pranav_mox6
Joined  05-24-2014

Finally I tried the solution of altering the cable and I got this so far.(Check the attachment)

The noise level has decreased so much (compare to the very first image). But it did not stop completely. Is it ok? I mean, is that noise level normal? With that noise can I record my music?

Image Attachments
connected to USB using altered cable.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2014 @ 08:49 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pranav_mox6 - 13 July 2014 02:54 AM

Finally I tried the solution of altering the cable and I got this so far.(Check the attachment)

The noise level has decreased so much (compare to the very first image). But it did not stop completely. Is it ok? I mean, is that noise level normal? With that noise can I record my music?

Without knowing what the reference level is, what the attachment shows is meaningless. If the noise level is more than 96 dB down from your peak record level, then it’s unlikely to be an issue. On the other hand, if it were that low, you probably wouldn’t be mentioning it any more.

If you play something with things set up the same as in the screen shot, what is the peak level?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2014 @ 02:11 AM
pranav_mox6
Joined  05-24-2014

I just want USB connection noiseless when I’m doing line in recording from soundcard. That’s it!

For that I asked is that level of noise normal or not?

When I play on MOX, the peak level gets up to -24dB.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ problems with 4CH setting ...
Next Topic:

Key velocity curves ››