mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha MOX6 and Editor VST with Protools"

Posted on: July 02, 2014 @ 12:53 AM
lovemotif
Total Posts:  56
Joined  01-11-2012

Hello everyone,

At present I am using Yamaha MOX 6 with the bundled Cubase AI5 software. Everything works fine, no problems at all.. So far I have arranged music for 3 albums with my MOX 6 alone and for some indian sounds I have also used my YAMAHA PSR I455 arranger. No other VST or third party sounds. Its just great. Thanks to YAMAHA for such a great instrument and integration, and thanks to all my fellow MOXers here and especially to BadMister. You guys have really helped me a lot to understand and utilize the powerful features of MOX...and much more to learn :)

Now the question is,

If I choose ProTools over Cubase AI5.. will I be able to work with the Editor VST as good as it works with cubase?.

Although Cubase is working good, most of the production studios here are using ProTools as their DAW. So for every album I need to export all the tracks as .WAV files in order to use them in ProTools. So everytime, the processs of exporting the tracks is costing me a lot of time. So I thought of working with ProTools so that I can take the project itself and open it as it is with the ProTools in the Studio where I go. But before going to ProTools, It will be helpful if you guys can enlighten me about the Pros and Cons of ProTools with respect to Editor VST. Whether the Editor’s workflow will be the same or not as it is with Cubase??

Between ProTools and Cubase, there might be certain change in the workflow. I can understand that. But I am more concerned with the behaviour of the Editor VST. Will it behave in an entirely different way if used with ProTools?? I am just a keyboard player and I do not possess a sound knowledge of technical aspects. So these confusions are going in my mind. So I am requesting to help me out on this matter.

Regarding the time of exporting a track:

Is there a way to export a track quickly??, I mean, without having to wait for the entire length of the song?? If its possible , plz let me know how to achieve that.

OS: Win7 Ultimate, 32-bit, 2GB RAM,2.8Ghz AMD Dual Core Processor,320GB HDD.

Keyboard: Only my YAMAHA MOX 6.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2014 @ 08:47 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

If I choose ProTools over Cubase AI5.. will I be able to work with the Editor VST as good as it works with cubase?.

Hi lovemotif,

The MOX editor is either VST or Standalone and as such is not compatible inside Pro Tools because Pro Tools only runs AAX and RTAS plug ins (not VST).

(This is presuming you are using a domestic i.e. non HD/HDX Pro Tools system)

It might be possible to run an adaptor product from a company like FXpansion.  This converts a VST plugin to an RTAS plugin, although I have no experience of it with the MOX editor and it could turn out to be a big waste of money.

If that doesn’t work, you are limited to running your MOX editor in Standalone mode only (outside of your DAW)

Is there a way to export a track quickly??, I mean, without having to wait for the entire length of the song?? If its possible , plz let me know how to achieve that.

In terms of exporting tracks, yes, the latest version of Pro Tools will export offline and very quickly. By using the ‘Bounce to Disk’ function and ticking the ‘Offline’ tick box, you can get it to (as you want) export quickly and NOT in real time. (although you can do real time too!)

AvId suggest that it can export at speeds of up to 150x Real time in Offline mode.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2014 @ 10:47 AM
lovemotif
Joined  01-11-2012

hello philwoodmusic,
thank u for the information.... going by your words, i think Cubase should be my DAW if I depend on the MOX Editor for MIDI Recording. OR I should ask my Pro-Studio’s engineer to switch to Cubase..  ;) but thats not gonna happen :(

Pro Tools only runs AAX and RTAS plug ins (not VST).

Just curious about this.So, in future If I turn to ProTools and If I am purchasing Soft synth or Sound libraries… what type of plugins should I buy?? If ProTools is not compatiable with VST, then I think I should particularly purchase AAX and RTAS plugins.

Is VST a generic term used to denote such plugins or is it limited only to those plugins which are compatiable only with cubase??

For Eg: Soft Synths like Native instruments etc. they are compatiable with all of the DAWs in market right?? they can be used with cubase,ProTools etc… If this is correct, then what type of Plugins are they?? Are they AAX,RTAS or VST??A Clarification on this will be helpful.

Anyway, for my needs, the MOX still packs a huge array of sounds and Its more than sufficient for my needs and I am very happy with it. The sounds which I felt that the MOX lags behind is in INDIAN SOUNDS,especially TABLA,MRIDANGAM,SAROD and HARMONIUM. When the samples on the PSR I series arrangers are so close to the real thing,which I have (PSR I455),I am quite surprised by the absence of those samples in MOX.. I dont know If those samples are available in the MOTIF XF’s sound engine?? Since I am in India, many of our composers come up with Indian classical ragas and taals,for which the Indian samples on MOX is insufficient and its not that convincing. I searched for those waves in all the reference manuals and Data lists, but in vain. I dont know If yamaha has removed those samples since MOX is a light version of MOTIF??So I was thinking of Buying VST plugins only of Indian Sounds and the rest from the MOX which balances my sound set.

So I am asking,
1)what type or format of plugins should I purchase (AAX,RTAS/VST..?)
2)If I Purchase VST plugins, does the VST become obsolete If I switch to ProTools in future?
3)Is there a common /universal format of plugins which can work on any DAW??
4)What is the difference between the Earlier Yamaha MOX6/8 Editor VST and the STANDALONE Editor??
5)Other than Cubase, To what extent is the YAMAHA MOX is compatiable with ProTools?

In terms of exporting tracks, yes, the latest version of Pro Tools will export offline and very quickly. By using the ‘Bounce to Disk’ function and ticking the ‘Offline’ tick box, you can get it to (as you want) export quickly and NOT in real time. (although you can do real time too!)

Is there a similar possibility in Cubase?? If so, plz plz let me know about it in the first place… I have 8 more songs to be exported in individual tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2014 @ 12:05 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

If you buy a reputable plugin product, you will generally (but not always) receive the most common flavours of it for your money, for example: VST, VST3, AU, RTAS, AAX all in the same box…

...but the basic version of Pro Tools only uses AAX and RTAS.

What you get for your money does vary from plugin to plugin and developer to developer.

For example, if a developer only develops products for Mac, then you will tend to find more AU and AAX/RTAS only products (plus some VST products for Mac).  This is because of the popularity of DAWs like Logic, Ableton and Pro Tools on Mac.

Windows-only developers tend to commonly only offer VST and VST3 for Cubase and other VST compatible hosts. (and sometimes offer RTAS and Pro Tools compatible products on Windows).  The majority of VST only plugins are available for Windows only. 

Then there’s large multi platform developers like Native instruments who will provide you with every popular format and type of plugin possible for their product.

It really depends what you want to use and who you buy it from.

Is VST a generic term used to denote such plugins or is it limited only to those plugins which are compatiable only with cubase??

Some people do use VST as a generic term or VSTi (for virtual instrument) but I am not.  I am referring to VST products that are compatible with Cubase and other VST compatible hosts.

So, you may get VST and RTAS or AAX in the same box, but if you are working in Cubase, then you need to install the VST versions and if you are working in Pro Tools, you need to install RTAS or AAX. 

When you run the installer for a plugin, you can usually elect to install every included type of it to your system in one go, making it unlikely there will be in any obsolescence that you are worried about.

There is no such thing as a common/universal plugin format that works on any/every DAW, sorry.  We do however have the common types we’ve been discussing and they cover most areas.

VST and VST3 works in many DAWS both Mac and Windows.
AU works in some DAWs and only on MAC.
RTAS and AAX are exclusive to Pro Tools.

As for Indian samples, there are a multitude of Indian samples on the market from companies like Tonehammer, 8Dio and Impactsoundworks that you could use in a plugin like Native Instruments Kontakt which would be VST in Cubase and either RTAS or AAX in Pro Tools.

What is the difference between the Earlier Yamaha MOX6/8 Editor VST and the STANDALONE Editor??

The VST version works inside Cubase as a plugin, the standalone does not.  It is a separate application.  They both do the same thing and have the same features.

Other than Cubase, To what extent is the YAMAHA MOX is compatiable with ProTools?

It should not be any different apart from what you already know, you cannot run the MOX Editor inside Pro Tools as a plug in.

Regarding your final question about offline exporting in Cubase, yes, that’s a feature, although it may not be a feature in AI, perhaps one of the Cubase experts can clarify that.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2014 @ 12:02 AM
lovemotif
Joined  01-11-2012

Thank you philwoodmusic for your informative reply.... got to know so many things.. have a good day :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2016 @ 06:03 AM
lovemotif
Joined  01-11-2012

Dear all,

Saying hi after a long time. :) Going good with my MOX6 and Cubase AI5 so far.

I am here to seek help from you guys regarding activating / enabling the quick exporting audio mixdown in cubase AI 5. Initially when I installed and started working with the projects, I was able to do quick export. One fine day I brought a cubase AI5 project from my friends laptop and opened it in my computer, and every single audio export is going in real time. 

Recently I saw Cubase LE6 , where it has the option to check and uncheck the box in the export window to do real time export of an audio mixdown. In Cubase AI5 there is no such option to check or uncheck to choose or not choose quick export. But it was happening initially as I told.

Cubase AI5 can also do this. Because, I have experienced quick time export in the past and everything in real time thereafter. Now what I would like to know is , is there a way to ACTIVATE / DEACTIVATE Real time export of an audio mixdown from the Menu or Anywhere in the Settings of Cubase AI5.?
Someone must be knowing. So please help me out in this regard. Every time when I export individual tracks of a song, it takes a lot of time. Plz help :)

[ Ignore ]