mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Access to 16 MULTI voices in 2-keyboards setting"

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 05:52 AM
AndrewG
Total Posts:  30
Joined  10-12-2008

Hello, I ask this question for S90ES, but it relates to all Motif models.

Below are the MULTI part button numbers:
1__2__3__4__5__6__7__8
9_10_11_12_13_14_15_16

I have Part 1 (Violin 1) controlled from another keyboard using some MIDI-In MIDI-Out connection. So I can simultaneously play Violin 1 by left hand with any of 15 parts played from the main keyboard. For example, I can press any of the buttons 2-16 and immediately, i.e. in a real-time performance session, have any of the combinations like

Violin 1 + Piano
Violin 1 + Flute
Violin 1 + Sweet Oboe
Violin 1 + Clarinet
etc.

Now the problem and the question.

The problem:
I do not have so immediate access to combinations like

Flute + Piano
Flute + Sweet Oboe
Clarinet + Sweet Oboe
etc.

To create such combination, I need to STOP the performance session and reassign some channel settings.

The question:
Can I make a preset, where this reassignment is possible in real-time, e.g., using Cubase, Ipad, or some additional device with buttons, without stopping the performance session? 

I noticed that if I press a patch change button in the 2nd keyboard, the Violin 1 is switched to something else, defined in this 2nd keyboard, but not to what I need. So, actually, I have immediate access to even more than 16 voices, but the choice depends on this 2nd keyboard.

Maybe the patch can be changed using some prepared Cubase macros, assigned to special computer keyboard keys? I have no problem pressing such a key during the performance. The real problem is stopping the performance session for doing such changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2014 @ 10:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Can I make a preset, where this reassignment is possible in real-time, e.g., using Cubase, Ipad, or some additional device with buttons, without stopping the performance session?

Seems that if your external keyboard (the one you play with your left hand) had the ability to switch transmit channels you would be in business. Does it not have buttons?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2014 @ 04:26 PM
AndrewG
Joined  10-12-2008

It has 8 buttons with standard GM patch change codes for piano (1), Orchestra Strings (49), Vibraphone, Organ etc. These codes do not activate what I need in S90ES. Probably I could organize copies of Sweet Oboe, Flute etc. in User 2 bank in similar code positions, but this does not seem to be a good workaround. The best option would be a separate device with programmable buttons, each of which can send to Cubase a series of S90ES codes (bank number, voice number, and maybe some parameters similar to those stored in MULTI parts). Probably a similar behavior can be organized using numerical buttons of Yamaha PSR or another Yamaha keyboard.

I hoped for a simple decision. What I need is the ability to simultaneously play different orchestra instruments through different keyboards without stopping for the instrument change. Probably the best way to do this is using 2 independent Motif keyboards (e.g. S90ES + MOXF) connected to Cubase through different channels).

Though, this may make me want to control a 3rd keyboard in the above-mentioned way… -:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2014 @ 10:22 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I hear you. The simplest solution would be to get a better controller. What you want ideally is not just something that can send MIDI note-on events, but one that allows you to make transmit channel changes on the fly.

While PSRs are great little keyboards for what they do, they are not the type of controller that you need in your described situation. Sure I guess you could go HIGH tech and get a computer and some software involved or even an external control device.... OR, you can get yourself a device that will let you do what you need plus bring something else to the table.

If small, lightweight is what you need - you should look into the MX49 or MX61… these make killer controllers in the true sense of the word… both MW and PB wheels, front panel buttons [1]-[16] let you change your transmit channel at the touch of a button, and the sound set is on par with your S90 ES!

In your situation why spend money on some external device to fix a situation that could so elegantly be remedied with an MX… worth a serious look. I’m say 8 pounds and 10 pounds...- Motif level Voices, Motif level effects, and a front panel that will let you switch transmit channels on the fly!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2014 @ 02:50 PM
AndrewG
Joined  10-12-2008

Thanks BM, I see this is a really powerful keyboard. I assume you mean using it as an independent keyboard, additional to the S90ES. Looks as a really great keyboard, but not for a pianist… (I am 88 keys-addicted). Money is not the issue, so probably MOXF direction is the way to solve my problem.

BTW, as a programmer (which is my main profession), I evaluate at a very high level the hardware and the musical features of Motif keyboards. However, the software design and the documentation look quite problematic…

[ Ignore ]