mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX durability"

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 09:54 PM
JodyHenderson
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-07-2014

*We tried out an MOXF6 in a shop for a little while to find using the pattern sequence mode very easy and ideal. How reliable are the MOX/MOXF line? We are concerned about investing a large portion of our budget in something that could leave us with nothing, which would be the case if we purchased an MOX/MOXF and if broke down on us. We know it is a plastic rather than metal body, but what about some of the circuitry and the various input/output jacks?

Thank you,

Mr. Jody Henderson and students
Woodstock HS/MS, Vermont

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2014 @ 07:50 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
JodyHenderson - 08 June 2014 09:54 PM

*… How reliable are the MOX/MOXF line? We are concerned about investing a large portion of our budget in something that could leave us with nothing, which would be the case if we purchased an MOX/MOXF and if broke down on us. We know it is a plastic rather than metal body, but what about some of the circuitry and the various input/output jacks?

I have had a MOX (not MOXF) for a year; no problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2014 @ 08:13 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Extremely reliable. The MOXF is the third generation of this particular line of products dating back to the MO6/MO8 (2005), the MOX (2011) and the current MOXF (2013). And since its introduction it has consistently been the best selling synthesizer workstation line available. This primarily due to the fact it is based on the engine of the Motif-series, its bigger, more expensive sibling… Which as I’m sure you know was a paradigm shift in music production and performance synthesizers.

When talking about reliability we get used to saying, “It’s a Yamaha!” Simply because of the reputation of quality that this means across the board. Yamaha did not get to be the world’s largest maker of musical instruments making stuff that breaks down. That is not to say that there are never any problems, but if you want to research this, call any qualified repair center and ask what they work on most, and more importantly, what they work on least.

The MOXF was designed to accommodate a Flash expansion Board. Most of our synth customers keep their purchases about 8-10 years, and one common request or fear is that in that time they will become obsolete. Mostly due to music trends and changes in sounds. Well, the Flash Board directly addresses this issue, by ensuring that new sounds can be added to the basic Wave ROM, far into the future. As we develop new technologies and new sounds, the fact that you can have access to them via Flash expansion staves off obsolescence.

You had questions about going the iPad route and an external keyboard… That kind of setup may be the definition of trendy. And transient trendiness at that. When I think back to my first handheld device and how I’d be hard pressed to connect it to anything now or run any software that is out now ...and that was less than two years ago.

The hardware synthesizer is designed to last customers over a longer period of time as part of the design concept. The trendy stuff comes and goes and is a flavor of the moment. From this forum you can see that customers still have Motif 6/7/8 from (2001), Motif ES (2003), Motif XS (2007), Motif XF (2010) and are still using them, still able to happily use them. Software that supports them is still, for the most part, available and supported. Computer software, on the other hand, is more of a subscription than a purchase. While hardware like the MOXF is an investment in an instrument, that will keep its charm and appeal even if external software comes and goes.

Also the fact that the hardware synthesizer is self sufficient… (It can work alone, and you have an enhanced experience when you connect it to a computer… Be that computer a PC or a Mac or even an iPad.) ... this will pay dividends down the road. While the iPad - Mobile Music Sequencer - External keybd synthesizer (MX) route is a nice rig for the hotel room, I cannot imagine that as the only devices I had to create, compose and perform on.

The MOXF is compelling from the point of view that it can do all you requested and will at least still be doing it years from now.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2014 @ 11:10 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
JodyHenderson - 08 June 2014 09:54 PM

*We tried out an MOXF6 in a shop for a little while to find using the pattern sequence mode very easy and ideal. How reliable are the MOX/MOXF line? We are concerned about investing a large portion of our budget in something that could leave us with nothing, which would be the case if we purchased an MOX/MOXF and if broke down on us. We know it is a plastic rather than metal body, but what about some of the circuitry and the various input/output jacks?

Thank you,

Mr. Jody Henderson and students
Woodstock HS/MS, Vermont

They are built for road and stage use. Can be last for many years. The advantage of plastic body is lighter and easy to carry, unless you want to throw your keys ;-)

Input/output jacks will be worn-out, but can be easily replaced them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2015 @ 04:22 PM
Roadman
Total Posts:  34
Joined  10-21-2012

I’ve been gigging with a mox8 for over two years now, and use it as my stage piano, and midi backing track player. I have had no issues at all in any way so far. Probably around 120 gigs and thousands of miles.
I had the same concerns when first buying, as it seemed a bit cheap from a case point of view. ADVICE.
Buy a professional flight case made specifically for the board, and buy some foam to further buffer to ensure it dies not move about at all in the case when being transported, has to be snug and tight.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ mox6 layering help
Next Topic:

selling my s90xs, excellent condition. ››