mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Export MOTIF XF8 tracks to Logic question"

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 06:04 PM
jchkayaker
Total Posts:  8
Joined  09-21-2012

I’m a relative newbie with both the MOTIF (XF8) and Logic. I’ll outline three different things I’m trying to do, and apologies if it’s already answered elsewhere I didn’t find.

Assume that my MOTIF is hooked up to my Mac only via FW16, I’m using Logic on my Mac, and I have nine tracks laid down in Logic using Logic voices and sounds.

1. I want to add more tracks to my song by recording a voice from the MOTIF or an Arpeggio from the MOTIF as one (for a voice) or four (for an Arpeggio) tracks—again, not as MIDI, but as the actual sound (WAV or something, I guess). How do I do that? (And will only being connected via FW be enough, or do I have to use some other type of connection?)
2. Alternatively, I want to record a song on my MOTIF using an Arpeggio, and export those into Logic as four separate tracks as MIDI files (understanding that I’ll have to find similar-sounding sounds in Logic of course for each track).
3. Third option: I want to record a song on my MOTIF using an Arpeggio, and export those into Logic as four separate tracks as sound files, not MIDI files.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 07:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1. I want to add more tracks to my song by recording a voice from the MOTIF or an Arpeggio from the MOTIF as one (for a voice) or four (for an Arpeggio) tracks—again, not as MIDI, but as the actual sound (WAV or something, I guess). How do I do that? (And will only being connected via FW be enough, or do I have to use some other type of connection?)

The only connection you need is FW for any of this as it is botH MICI and AUDIO. Here’s what you need to know:
To transfer Audio from the Motif XF in VOICE mode you must use the Main L/R output (which appear in Logic as the Motif XF’s first and second audio outputs).

When you transfer Audio from the XF in any of the other modes (PERFORMANCE, or SONG, or PATTERN) you can select any of the fourteen assignable FW outputs (which appear in Logic as three though sixteen), or the Main L/R (which as mentioned are one and two).

The difference between VOICE and the other modes is the others have PARTS. One of the PART parameters is OUTPUT SELECT. In Voice mode all audio travels through the main L/R.

The numbering of the Outputs starts with the Main L/R see attached chart below.

The assignable FW outputs can be configured in odd/even stereo pairs or selected as individual mono buses. Your choice - again it is a per PART setting.

2. Alternatively, I want to record a song on my MOTIF using an Arpeggio, and export those into Logic as four separate tracks as MIDI files (understanding that I’ll have to find similar-sounding sounds in Logic of course for each track).

Once you have recorded the data to the Motif XF sequencer you have two methods of transferring the MIDI data to your DAW
1) Save it as a SMF (Standard MIDI File) .MID format
2) Synchronize the clocks and record it over in real time

3. Third option: I want to record a song on my MOTIF using an Arpeggio, and export those into Logic as four separate tracks as sound files, not MIDI files.

Synchronize the clocks (use the DAW as the master clock, set the Motif XF to MIDI SYNC = AUTO), set the tempo in the DAW. Set the OUTPUT SELECT parameter for each PART to the output bus you decide to use. Again you can select an odd/even stereo pair or you can isolate it on its own mono bus.
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press a Part number 1-16 to select the PART parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] OUTPUT
Find the OUTPUT SELECT option
Press [SF6] to see a listing of the Output options.

Image Attachments
OutputsFW.png
  [ Ignore ]