mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do you name a song in the software editor?"

Posted on: June 07, 2014 @ 09:56 PM
vintagevibe
Total Posts:  35
Joined  05-24-2014

I can’t find a way to do this.  I can name it on the MOFX but, of course, it gets over written when I store a song from the software.
What am I missing.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2014 @ 10:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I can’t find a way to do this.  I can name it on the MOFX but, of course, it gets over written when I store a song from the software.

We are sure you mean the MOXF. You don’t say which Editor or how you are using the it. We will assume you are talking about the “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST” running inside of Cubase. (If it is not what you mean, then please specify what you are talking about).

You can NAME and SAVE the entire MIXING setup in the Cubase MediaBay/Sound Browser for recall… simply click on the Cubase SOUND CUBE at the top center of the Mixer and click on “SAVE PRESET...”

You can type in a NAME and the entire MIXING setup, every parameter and Voice (including MIXING VOICES), are saved as a VST PRESET inside of Cubase.

The EDITOR running inside of Cubase will automatically be saved when you Save your Cubase Project and it will automatically be restored when you open the Project - if you have your preferences set normally. And in such a case you simply name the Project - no need to name the MIXING SETUP

Saving the entire mix in the MediaBay/Sound Browser, however, allows you to recall the MIXING setup even without having to launch the Editor VST.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 12:50 AM
vintagevibe
Joined  05-24-2014

Yes I am using the Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST.  How do you do this in the standalone version...with out using a DAW?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 04:26 AM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011

You are talking about naming the song in the MOXF with the standalone Yamaha Editor. It has been my experience that when using this to edit “Mixes”, there is NO WAY to name the Song from the software. I would love to learn that I am wrong (Bad_Mister ? ;-)

However, you can name the song in the MOXF itself and it should not be overwritten by sending data from the Editor. It sounds to me like perhaps you are not saving the data in the MOXF after you change the name. Edit the name, then store the changes by pressing the STORE button (I believe - not in front of the unit right now).

Once you have saved the changes into the unit, you can then send revised mixing edits from the software and the name should remain. Note that there are other song-related parameters that cannot be edited from the Mix Editor of the Yamaha software, such as the out channels for each track, and the output switch settings. Hope that helps!

- Stephen Kay
KARMA Developer :: karma-lab.com
Check out the KARMA Motif Software for the MOXF!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 08:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The EDITOR used as a VST in a VST3 compatible DAW, like Cubase, would be used either in SONG or PATTERN mode. And the concept is that there is one multi-timbral MIXING setup per Project. The EDITOR VST settings are automatically “bundled” and saved with the Project. And are automatically restored when you next open the Project. The name of the PROJECT would equal the name of the music you are working on and suffice for Editor setup.

Actually there is no need to name the MIXING because it is always associated with the Sequence data (the song), same as in the keyboard itself… The MIXING (tone generator setup) does not have a Name. The Song title or the Pattern title has the Name. It is the sequence data that is the name. There is no Name parameter for the Mixing, the Name parameter is stored with the sequence data, the Mixing setup is automatically “bundled” with the Song or Pattern data, and is automatically recalled when you select or load the sequence.
The MIXING = the band
The SONG or PATTERN = the song or pattern sequence data

The Cubase Project carries the Name (title). The Editor setup is equal to the Mixing. Mixing Setups do not have names, they have a direct association with the sequence (which has the Name parameter). The Editor is every parameter found in the MIXING mode.

That said:
Now as I mentioned, if you wish to STORE your MIXING Setup separately you can save it in the Cubase MediaBay as a multi-timbral VST PRESET. (See screenshot below: “Get Lucky (MOXF)” is the VST PRESET Name.

VST PRESETs can be used to STORE individual VOICES, or as shown, entire multi-timbral (Song/Pattern) MIXING Setups. And Mixing Setups can be recalled independent of the Editor (so MediaBay/Sound Browser can be used as a great place to backup your MIXING setups and any MIXING Voices you have customized… Cubase simply backs up your MIXING setup and, of course, you can Name it.

Additionally, you could Save it as a separate Editor File (.X6E) on the Editor’s menu bar go to FILE > SAVE > the name of the file should be set to match your Song or Pattern title.

Hope that helps.

Image Attachments
MOXFeditorVST.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 02:21 PM
vintagevibe
Joined  05-24-2014
Stephen Kay - 08 June 2014 04:26 AM

You are talking about naming the song in the MOXF with the standalone Yamaha Editor. It has been my experience that when using this to edit “Mixes”, there is NO WAY to name the Song from the software. I would love to learn that I am wrong (Bad_Mister ? ;-)

However, you can name the song in the MOXF itself and it should not be overwritten by sending data from the Editor. It sounds to me like perhaps you are not saving the data in the MOXF after you change the name. Edit the name, then store the changes by pressing the STORE button (I believe - not in front of the unit right now).

Once you have saved the changes into the unit, you can then send revised mixing edits from the software and the name should remain. Note that there are other song-related parameters that cannot be edited from the Mix Editor of the Yamaha software, such as the out channels for each track, and the output switch settings. Hope that helps!

- Stephen Kay
KARMA Developer :: karma-lab.com
Check out the KARMA Motif Software for the MOXF!

Thanks Stephen. I thing was my situation.  I sorted it out indeed the Song name is not being overwritten.  I suspect that I got mixed up storing and syncing.  It would be great if you could name the Song from the standalone software.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2014 @ 02:31 PM
vintagevibe
Joined  05-24-2014
Bad_Mister - 08 June 2014 08:00 AM

The EDITOR used as a VST in a VST3 compatible DAW, like Cubase, would be used either in SONG or PATTERN mode. And the concept is that there is one multi-timbral MIXING setup per Project. The EDITOR VST settings are automatically “bundled” and saved with the Project. And are automatically restored when you next open the Project. The name of the PROJECT would equal the name of the music you are working on and suffice for Editor setup.

Actually there is no need to name the MIXING because it is always associated with the Sequence data (the song), same as in the keyboard itself… The MIXING (tone generator setup) does not have a Name. The Song title or the Pattern title has the Name. It is the sequence data that is the name. There is no Name parameter for the Mixing, the Name parameter is stored with the sequence data, the Mixing setup is automatically “bundled” with the Song or Pattern data, and is automatically recalled when you select or load the sequence.
The MIXING = the band
The SONG or PATTERN = the song or pattern sequence data

The Cubase Project carries the Name (title). The Editor setup is equal to the Mixing. Mixing Setups do not have names, they have a direct association with the sequence (which has the Name parameter). The Editor is every parameter found in the MIXING mode.

That said:
Now as I mentioned, if you wish to STORE your MIXING Setup separately you can save it in the Cubase MediaBay as a multi-timbral VST PRESET. (See screenshot below: “Get Lucky (MOXF)” is the VST PRESET Name.

VST PRESETs can be used to STORE individual VOICES, or as shown, entire multi-timbral (Song/Pattern) MIXING Setups. And Mixing Setups can be recalled independent of the Editor (so MediaBay/Sound Browser can be used as a great place to backup your MIXING setups and any MIXING Voices you have customized… Cubase simply backs up your MIXING setup and, of course, you can Name it.

Additionally, you could Save it as a separate Editor File (.X6E) on the Editor’s menu bar go to FILE > SAVE > the name of the file should be set to match your Song or Pattern title.

Hope that helps.

This is extremely helpful.  I’ve started a database of posts from this forum.  You posts are more in-depth and helpful than any other company’s forums or manuals!  As a matter of fact your YouTube videos were instrumental in my choosing the Yamaha MOXF over the Roland FA-06.  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A Couple Headscratchers
Next Topic:

Using MOXF for writing originals (thanks to all of you). ››