mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF8 & Digital Performer 8"

Posted on: June 05, 2014 @ 06:40 PM
Ksmccarthy
Total Posts:  32
Joined  03-04-2009

Considering purchase Motif XF8

Wnat to make sure it will hook up directly to my computer and specifically to Motu - Digital Performer 8

Windows 8.1 computer
Motu 828 Interface
Digital Performer 8

Would like the sequence I do in the keyboard to transfer to seperate tracks on Digital Performer so I can add audio adjust levels etc…

I have the Motif ES8 but I am selling it… as i had the Mlan16 to get it into DP on my Mac but it wasn’t able to get into my windows 8.1 computer because of old technology…

Any help is greatly appreciated… thanks! Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2014 @ 10:42 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Are you going to get the optional FW16E (FireWire) or you intend to use just the MOTU audio interface?

If you will are using the MOTU you can connect the L/R outputs of the XF to it and it will act as your audio interface. Connect the XF to your computer via USB for MIDI communication.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2014 @ 09:19 PM
Ksmccarthy
Joined  03-04-2009

Thanks Bad_Minster ... you’ve always been very helpful...thanks!

I’m not sure what I will need… maybe you can help decide?

Just want to a sequence on my keyboard and have it transfer and show up on 16 individual channels in Digital Performer… I actually got firewire added to my computer as I thought my ES8 Mlan16 would work on my windows 8 computer but it didn’t because the operating system was too new…

The Mlan16 and ES8 did work this way with my old Mac tower but it’s pretty outdated now...and I don’t even use perfromer on the Mac anymore…

I’m willing to get something extra if I need that FW16E in order for the same thing to happen with 16 tracks showing up in DP if I get the XF8… The biggest thing is that before i make the investment just want to make sure it is doable.. thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2014 @ 05:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

We can help you decide if you tell us your goals. Are you going to be recording MIDI tracks to your computer, audio tracks, both?

For MIDI you just need a USB cable, and the correct USB-MIDI driver.

In order to get audio into your computer from a Motif XF you have several options:
1) Since the Motif XF has its own built-in sampler (Integrated Sampling Sequencer) it is possible to record audio tracks directly to the XF… and then you can EXPORT the audio to your DAW in a separate operation. Audio sources include any internal PART or any device connected to the A/D INPUT.
2) If you get the FW16E (FireWire) Expansion this allows you to use the XF as your computer soundcard - in other words, you will be able to record audio directly to the computer via the XF. This includes microphones or other sources connected to the A/D INPUT. the FW16E provides you with 16 audio buses (Stereo + 14 assignable) on which you can route signal.
3) An external audio interface which will allow you to connect the XF via its analog outputs and on to the computer.

All are viable methods that you can work with - it all depends on how much and how extensive you want to get in recording.

For example, if you only envision recording tracks to the XF sequencer then simply singing a lead vocal - there is another option. You can simply connect a USB drive to the XF’s “To Device” jack and plug-in your microphone and sing over your basic tracks. The XF allows you to record a stereo mix (including the live input from the A/D INPUT) directly to a USB drive.

So you can experiment with the methods that will cost you nothing, then decide if you want to spend more money to increase your flexibility in music production. It make sense to try them before you spend money to expand - finding out you spent the money and would have been perfectly happy with a built-in method would be the wrong method.

So I recommend you try recording directly to your XF and see what kinds of things you feel you need that you cannot do.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2014 @ 08:41 AM
Ksmccarthy
Joined  03-04-2009

Thanks Bad…

Actually I am very familiar and comfortable with Digital Performer… it would be great to do a sequence in the XF8, and then “transfer” it so it would show in DP with each track of the sequence on a different track in DP then I can adjust everything, and add audio as well…

I’m assuming I would need to purchase the FW16E expansion to do this?

Could I do it somehow without FW16E expansion?

If so, could you explain then the steps needed to make this happen?

Thanks!

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2014 @ 11:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Actually I am very familiar and comfortable with Digital Performer… it would be great to do a sequence in the XF8, and then “transfer” it so it would show in DP with each track of the sequence on a different track in DP then I can adjust everything, and add audio as well…

When the word sequence is used, I read it as meaning MIDI data (not audio). You can easily record a composition in your XF8’s sequencer, which records only MIDI data… Then save that as a SMF (Standard MIDI File) this will allow you to export data from your 16 XF tracks in a .mid file.

All DAWs can import this MIDI data, this MIDI data can be used to trigger your XF8 by playing it back from DP via a USB cable.

I’m assuming I would need to purchase the FW16E expansion to do this?

No, the FW16E is only necessary when you want to record AUDIO (in addition to MIDI) from the XF to your DAW. The difference between MIDI recording and Audio recording is, simply put:
With MIDI data you will always need to be connected to the Motif XF so it can interpret the MIDI data and output sound on playback.
With Audio recording, obviously, the actual sound recording takes place. Audio formats can be played by a wide variety of playback devices.

Could I do it somehow without FW16E expansion?

Yes, of course. The FW16E is an expansion option that adds an extremely flexible AUDIO INTERFACE to your Motif XF. (It also simultaneously handles MIDI communication as well) but let’s focus on the Audio Interface portion.

As an Audio Interface the FW16E is a 16-in/6-out device. This means your computer will be able to receive 16 audio bus inputs digitally from the Motif XF. These can be used to record the internal Parts, and/or anything plugged into the A/D Input on the XF’s back panel.

There are tons of audio interfaces available that you can use. If you opt for an external audio interface you would connect the analog outputs of your Motif XF to the audio inputs of this interface, and it would then be responsible for the Analog to Digital conversion to send digital audio to your computer. The audio interface is also responsible for sending audio output to your monitor speakers.

Not everyone needs the FW16E with its 16 buses (which include Stereo plus fourteen assignable outs that can be configured as seven additional odd/even stereo pairs or as individual mono buses as you may require).

Your analog outputs on the XF are Stereo plus two assignable Outs (which can be configured as a second stereo pair or can be used as two separate isolated mono buses.

If so, could you explain then the steps needed to make this happen?

you have to envision your best workflow… And it is a personal thing. One other option you have with the XF is to use its ability to RESAMPLE directly on board the unit. It is possible to create ‘audio stems’ of your XF tracks and export them as 16-bit/44.1kHz .WAV files. These can then be imported/dropped into your DAW… at the appropriate measures.

The limitation here is that the longest single audio sample at full CD-quality will be 6 minutes and 20 seconds. So there are many ways to get audio into your computer without the FW16E.

The .wav files that you export can be any combination of instruments at a time, or even individual separate instruments, or even the entire composition. You can export mono or stereo wav files as you may require.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2014 @ 07:37 PM
Ksmccarthy
Joined  03-04-2009

Great thanks so much.. .this helps a lot…

Until I get the FW16…

1. can you tell me how to hook this up to my computer?

2. Do I use USB or firewire…

3. After I get proper cables, do I need to change any setting on the motif and how would I do that?

4. If I can get it going I might wait on the FW16
How I did it with the ES is I used wirewire into my computer tower and then my Digital Performer would recognize it after I set it up in DP.

Thanks so much!

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2014 @ 06:12 PM
Ksmccarthy
Joined  03-04-2009

Can anyone help?  that would be greatly appreciate, thanks! Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2014 @ 08:16 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Until I get the FW16…

1. can you tell me how to hook this up to my computer?

2. Do I use USB or firewire…

Until you get a FW16E, you can connect to your Motif XF to the computer via USB. USB will be a MIDI only connection for the XF. Without an FW16E you cannot connect via FireWire.

You will need the USB-MIDI driver for your computer type and operating system

3. After I get proper cables, do I need to change any setting on the motif and how would I do that?

4. If I can get it going I might wait on the FW16
How I did it with the ES is I used wirewire into my computer tower and then my Digital Performer would recognize it after I set it up in DP.

You can set the XF to control DP
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF1] REMOTE
Select DAW = Digital Performer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2014 @ 11:03 PM
Ksmccarthy
Joined  03-04-2009

Thanks Bad!

I really appreciate it… I actually got the driver downloaded it and it works… DP recognizes the keyboard automatically I can choose both INput and Output there are 4 midi channels each with 16 choices…

Now question…

I enable record and try to record but nothing happens, no data is shown as being recorded…

1. I’m assuming I need to turn on the midi on XF8???

2. Also I would like to assign 16 different sounds to the XF8 so I can choose them on the input in DP… can you help?

---------------------------------------

not related question - more a “sounds” question

3. The cool sounding “complete” sounds found in “perfrom like Inner Wind… I’m assuming those won’t transfer onto midi...which makes sense… however, can I get them to show as a track in the sequencer?… it would be great to sequences stuff using those sounds on a track.

Thanks!

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2014 @ 12:01 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Now question…

I enable record and try to record but nothing happens, no data is shown as being recorded…

1. I’m assuming I need to turn on the midi on XF8???

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Make sure MIDI IN/OUT = USB (while you using USB)

You have to enable a MIDI Track in your DAW (DP). Sorry we cannot help you there.

2. Also I would like to assign 16 different sounds to the XF8 so I can choose them on the input in DP… can you help?

The Motif XF is 16 PART Multi-timbral in SONG and PATTERN mode.

Press [SONG]
select a blank SONG 01-64
Press [MIXING]
Here you can see the sixteen PARTS of the Motif XF tone engine laid out on a mixer.

3. The cool sounding “complete” sounds found in “perfrom like Inner Wind… I’m assuming those won’t transfer onto midi...which makes sense… however, can I get them to show as a track in the sequencer?… it would be great to sequences stuff using those sounds on a track.

”Inner Wind” can be recorded to the Motif XF’s internal sequencer directly from PERFORMANCE mode, using the innovative “Direct Performance Record” feature, then you can transfer the MIDI data to your DAW if you wish.

Call up the PERFORMANCE “Inner Wind”
Press [RECORD]
You will be taken to the DIRECT PERFORMANCE RECORD setup screen.
Target an empty SONG location
Set the setup attributes so that KEY ON START is active. You do so by highlighting the parameter and press [INC/YES]

Now when you touch the keyboard recording will begin. You can record as long as you desire. Press [STOP] when complete.

Then you can connect the XF to your computer via USB and transfer the data from the SONG to your DAW… either in real time or save it as a SMF (.MID) and transfer it with a USB drive.

Press [SONG]
Press [SEQ SETUP]
Press [F3] QUICK
Select QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #2: Recording internal sequencer to computer

Set your DAW to send MIDI clock to the Motif XF and setup a MIDI track to recording incoming MIDI data - set the Track to record all incoming MIDI channels.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A/D imput
Next Topic:

KARMA Motif vs Tyros5? ››