mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to get a certain SECTION to increase tempo"

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 05:51 PM
ENOO
Total Posts:  144
Joined  07-05-2008

Awrite Mr. BADMister OR anyone that can help, please, thanq.

Here’s the scoop. In my PATTERN, got SECTIONS with different variations for a DANCE (usually lasts atleast for more than an hour at a time).
My TEMPO is set to 150, BUT I wanna have say like ONE or MORE SECTIONS (with 8 measures) that start @ 150 & go up in speed gradually increasing to 160.
Thanq.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 06:46 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Cool, what’s the specific question?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 07:18 PM
ENOO
Joined  07-05-2008

was just explaining my scenerio. OK to be specific: Wanna have 8 measures in a SECTION that starts @ a certain tempo & increases to a certain. How can i set this up, like a control ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 07:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Let me see, it’s an 8 Measure Section and you want it to gradually increase in tempo over an hour or more of time? I suggest you manually click the TEMPO 1 BPM every six minutes!
Highlight the TEMPO parameter
Use the DATA WHEEL every six minutes
Use your iPhone Timer to send you an alert with a 6 minute snooze

If you want to automate it you must either create a linear SONG or a linear CHAIN. Do you see why to automate tempo chain it must be done on a linear time line?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 07:31 PM
ENOO
Joined  07-05-2008

Haha ! no buddy forget the increase over an hour....however long it takes the ?: 8 measures to increase in tempo from a certain to a certain. Forget the time.
Wanna know if there is control like my KORG has.
Thanq.
AHA MAHA !! Song is LINEAR, Pattern made LOOPS.....

ALSO, if i chain it to a SONG, then whats the Control # ? & then i have to split SONG to PATTERN to a SECTION, correct ?
Please if you can give me a l’il detail on the automated tempo increase, etc.
Thanx.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 07:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Do you see why to automate tempo chain it must be done on a linear time line?

You cannot place a TEMPO CHANGE in a looping 8 measure Section, think about it - at what measure are you going to place it?

There is no cc for TEMPO
Tempo is its own dedicated command in MIDI.

If the section is looping - highlight the tempo parameter and change it manually - That’s why I was having fun with you - it is so obvious you don’t see it, huh?

Try it - you’ll see.

Image Attachments
PatternTempo.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 08:04 PM
ENOO
Joined  07-05-2008

Appreciate it. Already did that. That means if i was to sequence (SONG MODE) then that’s possible, correct.

Just finding out the Control, etc.

For the GIG I’m doin & I’m playing in the PATTERN MODE, yup I can just use the DATA WHEEL & keep uping it up ! towards the END of DA DANCE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 10:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

From previous posts on the TEMPO CHANGE subject. ......
_________ ________ _________ _______ ______

When it comes to TEMPO CHANGE there are a couple of ways.

You can have the Instrument create a Tempo Change curve for you automatically. Or you can record it in real time. Or you can automate Tempo Change with SONG SCENE Events.

Create a Tempo Change SONG mode

From your SONG, press [EDIT]
Press [F4] TRACK SEL (Track Select), this is a three-way toggle between the numbered TRACKS, the SCENE TRACK and the TEMPO TRACK. Press it until the TEMPO Track is selected (the track type will appear in the upper right corner).

With the TEMPO TRACK selected:
Press [JOB]
Press [F3] EVENT
Select JOB 05: CREATE CONTINUOUS DATA
Press [ENTER]

Because you selected the Tempo Track the ‘Create Continuous Data” JOB will be set to insert Tempo Change events into the dedicated Track. Set the Measure range to match the exact point you would like the tempo to begin changing, and where you want the change to stop.

Fill in the parameters as you desire. The “Clock” parameter will determine how often the Tempo Change events are inserted. And you can tailor how fast the tempo change occurs.

When to use: You would use this method when you want automate gradual tempo changes. You can set a start and end point, and you can even control how often a tempo event is placed. Trial and error works here - do not be afraid to experiment. While working in the [JOB] area, button [F1] is marked UNDO/REDO and allows you to compare your data at the touch of the button.

Recording TEMPO CHANGE in real time

Call up your SONG
Press [RECORD]
Set the REC TRACK = TEMPO
You can do so on the Setup screen, by cursoring to the “REC TRACK” parameter column and using the DATA WHEEL to select the TEMPO track.

Now move the highlight to the TEMPO parameter shown in BPM (Beats Per Minute).
You can record yourself changing the tempo in real time via the DATA WHEEL movement.

When to use: You would use this method when you want to manually control the tempo change. Again the JOB > [F1] UNDO/REDO will allow you to experiment without consequence.

Insert TEMPO CHANGES via the SONG SCENE memory

A “SCENE” (adopted from Yamaha digital mixing consoles) is a ‘snapshot’ of many parameters that can be instantly recalled by pressing a SCENE button or can be automated with a special SCENE EVENT for recall. This would be excellent when you need aburpt/specific changes in tempos

_ You record a SCENE by documenting the current status. Set the Tempo as desired. HOLD [SHIFT] + [SF1] to take a snapshot.
_ You can store 6 different TEMPOs to the [SF1]-[SF6] buttons.
_ You can recall a SCENE at any time by pressing the [SF1]-[SF6] buttons when they are labeled “SCENE1”. A SCENE containing data will have an eighth note icon. 
_ You can INSERT or record in real time a SCENE EVENT.

To store a SCENE simply hold [STORE] + [SF]
Store the original Tempo to [SF1]
Store the second tempo to [SF2]

To recall a SCENE simply press the [SF] button.

When to use: You would use this method when you manually want to control the tempo by recalling a pre-determined setting.

Tempo Change in PATTERN mode

By design, all Sections of PATTERN mode are the same Tempo. You can automate TEMPO changes by placing the Sections in a playback order, and then entering Tempo change events on a dedicated track for these type of events… this “playback order” is called a “Chain”

From PATTERN mode
Press [F6] CHAIN
You can record yourself ‘directing’ the playback order by placing the sequencer in real time record. The CHAIN will document when you press the SECTION buttons - thus creating an automated playback order.

Alternatively, you can enter the play order by:
Press [F6] CHAIN
Press [EDIT]
Now you can “INSERT” SECTION data on an Event List… you have a list of measures and a selection of EVENTS that you can ENTER, including SECTION CHANGE, Time Signature change, Tempo Change, Track Mute Status.

TEMPO event can be entered at any measure/beat/clock location.

Because of the cycling nature of PATTERN sections it make sense to insert certain changes to the playback of these sections only have you have mapped the playback order.

Say you have an 8 measure SECTION A… and an 8 measure SECTION B. Your compositions structure is going to be the ever poplular AABA song structure… but the second time through you want to increase the tempo… logically speaking, it only makes sense to insert a TEMPO change on a linear time line. That is how the CHAIN works - it gives you a linear time line onto which you can now map out exactly when a change is to take place.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2014 @ 11:36 PM
ENOO
Joined  07-05-2008

Gonna experiment, trial/error. Will read thru 2moro AM & put it to action.
Appreciate it BADMister.
Have a great w/e. Sure I’ll be in touch.

C I got the MOTIF ES few years ago, got sick for a l’il while so did not have the time to start exploring it. Then went to BOLLYWOOD & Europe trips, etc.
Finally, breathing & putting all my time into this precious piece of gear & DEFINITELY yr EXPERTISE is helping me to grasp the GOOD STUFF.
tc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2017 @ 08:20 PM
enooz008
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-24-2017

Hello Goodguys !!
Please advise on how I may reach BADMister.
Seem to have lost his contact info.
Please
Ty

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2017 @ 08:48 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
enooz008 - 20 July 2017 08:20 PM

[...]Please advise on how I may reach BADMister.[...]

https://yamahasynth.com/

[ Ignore ]