mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "YS driver without ASIO support?"

Posted on: May 07, 2014 @ 07:26 AM
TiasDad
Total Posts:  45
Joined  04-12-2014

A little information about my setup. I am using my MoxF6 connected directly to my laptop via USB for Midi recording. However, I also have the headphone jack connected to the laptop via an Alesis USB mixer as this gives me greater control over the input of audio signals, and the output and monitoring of audio and Midi recording. This also allows me the use of my Condenser Mic without separate phantom power. I do not wish to use the internal Audio interface of the MoxF as there is limited control and interfacing.

My problem is that the keyboard driver that is supplied for the MoxF is also an ASIO driver which rather than making use of the windows sound settings, is limited to directing the output audio back through the MoxF. I currently have to use ASIO4ALL which works but is not ideal as without a dedicated driver for the MoxF, I cannot use the Editor or Remote Tools programs.

My question is: - Are there plans to expand on the current Driver/ASIO package or even the possibility of a driver for the MoxF without the ASIO support?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2014 @ 07:47 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No.

No need, you have full volume control over the MOXF with the driver exactly as it is. Why you consider it limited is unknown, do you know how to adjust the volumes?  (Hint: “Digital volume” is an oxymoron, there is no such thing! Once you are sending the signal via USB the levels are fixed, you are cloning the signal. All relative levels between Parts are handled prior to the digital transfer, period. You can choose +0 or + 6dB as the output Gain for USB. How much of that you use is a sum of your internal mix!

We would have thought that would be your question. (Perhaps it does not work as you envision but works fine for digital recording) in digital recording you are transferring zeroes and ones. Volume is a result of analog signal being rendered by speakers.

Sorry, but you have a misunderstanding about how it works. Any limits are due to this misunderstanding.
We recommend you not use the headphone output as a source, (ouch)! except to drive headphones.

Well, to answer your question. No, no plans.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2014 @ 09:03 AM
TiasDad
Total Posts:  45
Joined  04-12-2014

Thank you for the quick response.

My issue is nothing to do with volume though.

I do understand about signal flow and Midi data, AD/DA converters etc. and as a digital studio, I have no problems with the MoxF. Adjusting the volumes and balances are not a problem on the MoxF.

My problem is that I like to record direct audio too. By using an 8 in 2 out mixer, I can leave all of my instruments and mics plugged in, thus putting much less strain on the sockets and less chance of introducing noise. Even if I totally ditch my AI mixer and replace it with a phantom power supply for my condenser mic, then reroute my inputs and outputs to all go through the MoxF, the current driver only supports data, not USB audio.

Unless I’m mistaken, as I’m not using Cubase, my DAW is Mixcraft, the incoming midi data is then interpretted and recorded by the VST’s available to the DAW. Hence the need to record the audio to get a true representation of the MoxF’s wonderful sounds. On playback through the MoxF, the Midi data will sound right but not on the actual DAW recording.

My Yamaha E433 came with a keyboard driver with no ASIO support and that is great. It allows me to do everything I want to. Please release the same for the MoxF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2014 @ 10:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I do understand about signal flow and Midi data, AD/DA converters etc. and as a digital studio, I have no problems with the MoxF. Adjusting the volumes and balances are not a problem on the MoxF.

Ok, great.

My problem is that I like to record direct audio too. By using an 8 in 2 out mixer, I can leave all of my instruments and mics plugged in, thus putting much less strain on the sockets and less chance of introducing noise.

Less strain on the sockets - come on - not a good reason at all. Sockets are meant to have cables plugged in and removed. Millions of times, literally, millions of times - the sockets can outlive you… or at least outlive your dog! :-). And “introducing noise” ??? what noise?

Even if I totally ditch my AI mixer and replace it with a phantom power supply for my condenser mic, then reroute my inputs and outputs to all go through the MoxF, the current driver only supports data, not USB audio.

Every time I read this it makes less sense. I don’t understand what you are trying to say here. Sorry. Please rewrite - as if I have no idea what you are talking about (I don’t, sorry). And if I am still missing the point - please help me understand.

Unless I’m mistaken, as I’m not using Cubase, my DAW is Mixcraft, the incoming midi data is then interpretted and recorded by the VST’s available to the DAW.

??? Again I do not understand what you are saying here. “...recorded by the VST’s available to the DAW.” ??? I don’t understand what you are trying to tell us here. I’d say you are mistaken. VST’s don’t record, as far as I know.

Hence the need to record the audio to get a true representation of the MoxF’s wonderful sounds. On playback through the MoxF, the Midi data will sound right but not on the actual DAW recording.

MIDI data does not sound (period)… it is a series of coded messages that trigger the tone engine to make sound. That notwithstanding. What is meant by “the actual DAW recording” ???  To record the MOXF connect the L/R (analog) audio outputs to your AUDIO INTERFACE.

My Yamaha E433 came with a keyboard driver with no ASIO support and that is great. It allows me to do everything I want to. Please release the same for the MoxF.

Great, you understand that the PSR E433 works for your concept. That will come in handy in the following explanation.

please read the following carefully: No, there will be no separate MIDI driver for the MOXF - it is not necessary - it is already in there!!! If you choose only to use the MIDI portion of the driver - please do so.

How? Simply do not select it as your ASIO driver - you do know that the “A” in ASIO is audio. (not MIDI). MIDI is totally separate, totally separate… as in totally separate!

It sounds to us like you are selecting the YS-USB driver as the ASIO driver when you clearly want to use something else to handle the audio. So do that - select the ASIO driver you want to use (the one recommended for your 8-in/2-out mixer). You do not have to select the YS-USB driver for MIDI - that happens automatically when you connect the unit (the driver must be installed on your computer, of course) - MIDI is independent of the AUDIO portion of the driver. We think you are over-thinking this whole process. (We are not sure we follow your thinking but on this point be clear: If you do not want to use the AUDIO portion of the YS-USB driver - don’t select it for your ASIO Driver. It’s that simple.

You will notice that the MIDI port selections show up just fine and work like your E433 (you don’t select it’s driver as your ASIO driver… why? because it does not have an audio portion). Treat the MOXF the same way!!!

The MOXF does both - both MIDI and AUDIO but separately. If you want to use the MOXF AUDIO portion then select its driver as your ASIO driver. If you DO NOT (and clearly, you do not) then don’t! - simply select the ASIO driver you care to use. The MIDI portion will do its thing independently, trust me.

That device (the one that uses that ASIO driver) will act as your AUDIO INTERFACE - connect the analog outputs of all your products to that device, this includes your microphones, your MOXF, and anything else you want to record - (it is your AUDIO INTERFACE). Connect its outputs to your monitor speakers or sound system. The MIDI from the MOXF will travel just fine to your computer, via USB, where you can select the MIDI communication as follows:
_ “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-1 (port 1)” for MIDI music, controller and tempo communication
_ “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-2 (port 2)” for Remote Control duties
_ “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-3 (port 3)” for one external MIDI device
_ “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-4 (port 4)” for the MOXF EDTIOR Standalone/VST
_ “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-5 (port 5)” for the REMOTE EDITOR

No new driver is necessary… it’s already in there!!!!!

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Melas Software advise
Next Topic:

Outputting Sound ››