mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mutec Flash 2GB…?!?!!?!?"

Page 1 of 4
Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 03:42 PM
RafalSC
Total Posts:  102
Joined  08-13-2011

What you think???
http://www.mutec-net.com/product_fmc-567.php?PHPSESSID=80mast2lvpa1qqgo7snmsr8s94&lng=en#features

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 04:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
RafalSC - 06 May 2014 03:42 PM

What you think???
http://www.mutec-net.com/product_fmc-567.php?PHPSESSID=80mast2lvpa1qqgo7snmsr8s94&lng=en#features

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471695/

It’s only useful if the processor’s address space can take advantage of it. Let’s say you fill one slot with a 2 GB module. Will a module installed in the remaining slot be seen? If so, what capacity could be used?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 05:24 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

I’ve spoken to a few people who bought these Mutec boards and they had problems with them -
failure, noise, etc. And Mutec doesn’t “service” them because they’re in Europe. You buy, you break - too bad.

The maximum Flash RAM that the Motif XF can address is 2GB, spread across two slots - 1 GB in each slot. You can go ahead and purchase the 2GB Mutec flashboard, install it, see what happens. But don’t be surprised or angry if it doesn’t work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 06:56 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

would the use of a non-proprietary module like these invalidate a motif warranty if some damage occurred?  I’m not a technician and perhaps there is no risk to the Motif....just curious?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2014 @ 06:55 PM
prokeysman
Total Posts:  101
Joined  02-05-2007

Yes, that would invalidate the warranty if it somehow broke something internally in the Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2014 @ 01:28 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

The new FlashRAM expansion will surely be compatible with the MotifXF, if Mutec states it.
What might be an issue is the price, not voiding Motif warranty, in my cas, because I bough it on Dec 2011…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 05:32 AM
DschoKeys
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-08-2005

The user Musiker Lanze wrote a review about the new 2GB Mutec flash boards in the German Musiker-Board. The Test can be found here.

I tried to (Google-) translate it to english:

Musiker Lanze - 14 May 2014 03:43 AM

So .. here are the results of my test of the new and upcoming 2 GB Flash Module MUTEC FMC-07.

[...]Mutec had asked me if I was willing to test the 2GB flash on my Motif XF. Why, yes!

Yesterday two of the new flash modules arrived and off we went.
I installed both flash boards, and after rebooting the Motif they were recognized immediately with their full capacity.

1. Test
I loaded two sound sets into the flash that have been programmed with many single samples ("Inspiration in a Flash” by Yamaha and “Super Session” by Easy Sounds). That took about one half of one flash boards capacity (just under 1 GB), and when I wanted to load another set, as I had guessed, the error message “Sample Memory Full” appeared.
Meaning , and that was actually presumed in advance that the maximum number of 2048 Waveforms and 8192 samples persists. But this is indeed a matter of the Motifs OS and not dependent on the flash board.

2. Test
Then I tested if different flash boards are running together, e.g. slot 1 with the 2GB Mutec Flash and slot 2 with 1GB of Yamaha and vice versa [...] These two different combinations work. One can then safely assume that the 2 GB modules will also work togehther with a 512 MB board. And of course the board also works as a single board.

Then I reloaded my own backup backup in the Motif with the 2GB modules installed. I tested if everything works fine...I couldn’t find any problems...works.

The Motif community should be sure delighted that you can now have up to 4 GB of flash on the Motif XF.

The only downside....
Yamaha should change the Motif OS and remove the limit in terms of samples / waveforms for the flash boards [...] It makes a big difference if you have 2 GB or 4 GB flash in Motif. Many of the musicians on the stage work indeed partially with audio tracks, and with 4 GB available you also gain space for more complex samples.

On the Tyros 5 they also remved this limitation of 9999 samples, and I hope that Yamaha can manage this with an update, provided that this is feasible for the Motif.

All the best, :)

Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 07:04 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DschoKeys - 14 May 2014 05:32 AM

The user Musiker Lanze wrote a review about the new 2GB Mutec flash boards in the German Musiker-Board. The Test can be found here.

I tried to (Google-) translate it to english: [...]

Thanks for posting that. I still have a concern about usage of the full 2 GB per module, and I see that you raised the same issue with Musiker Lanze on the German board.

I had previously emailed MUTEC about this, and this morning they replied. I was told that “Yes, the FMC-07 works in the MOTIF XF, you can use up to 4GB of FlashROM now. But please note, that the number of useable samples/waveforms will be not increased”. I’ll wait for further confirmation (from Musiker Lanze and/or others) before being fully convinced.

Although I didn’t ask about the cost, MUTEC wrote “The FMC-07 is priced as lowest at EUR 379.00each.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 11:26 AM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
5pinDIN - 14 May 2014 07:04 AM

Thanks for posting that. I still have a concern about usage of the full 2 GB per module, and I see that you raised the same issue with Musiker Lanze on the German board.

I had previously emailed MUTEC about this, and this morning they replied. I was told that “Yes, the FMC-07 works in the MOTIF XF, you can use up to 4GB of FlashROM now. But please note, that the number of useable samples/waveforms will be not increased”. I’ll wait for further confirmation (from Musiker Lanze and/or others) before being fully convinced.

Although I didn’t ask about the cost, MUTEC wrote “The FMC-07 is priced as lowest at EUR 379.00each.”

You know what - I just gotta say it - the amount of flash memory that can be addressed
is limited. So, as DschoKeys pointed out, with his OWN tests, having the extra gigabytes
is worthless. Yes, the Mutec board obviously works. No, it doesn’t allow you to store “more” waveforms than what the XF operating system can address.

To me, the people who throw their arms up with glee and say “hey, I can have more
stuff available now, c’mon Yamaha” are the same type of people who are always looking to get free software or somehow find a way to cheat the system. The same people who
use the “trial version” of Reaper forever without paying for it. The same people who
see nothing wrong with getting cracked copies of Cubase or posting third-party sound
libraries on mirror sites so everyone can have “the sounds they deserve”.

I’ve been pointing out all along that installing a 2GB Mutec flashboard isn’t really going
to give you any advantage. Case closed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 12:41 PM
DschoKeys
Joined  07-08-2005

Additional info from the German Musiker-Board: The Flash-Board indeed CAN be filled up with 2GB of samples/waveforms for a total of 4GB in the Motif XF and 2GB in the MOXF!!!

According to “Musiker Lanze’s” and “hape13’s” (hape tested two different boards on his MOXF) tests, loaded voices are working as normal, and long .wav-files can be played from the sequencer without noise/latency/crashes...with Flash-Boards totally filled up; the latter one could be relevant when one wants to play long Backing Tracks from the sequencer, for example.

Picture FL1

Picture FL2

Test for Motif XF: Musiker-Board

Test for MOXF: Yamaha-Forum

Case open, ;)

Jo

@Dave Polich: Your comparison to cheaters or other illegal stuff is simply absurd and silly! Can’t believe what I am reading… :/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 01:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavePolich - 14 May 2014 11:26 AM
5pinDIN - 14 May 2014 07:04 AM

You know what - I just gotta say it - the amount of flash memory that can be addressed
is limited. So, as DschoKeys pointed out, with his OWN tests, having the extra gigabytes
is worthless. Yes, the Mutec board obviously works. No, it doesn’t allow you to store “more” waveforms than what the XF operating system can address.

To me, the people who throw their arms up with glee and say “hey, I can have more
stuff available now, c’mon Yamaha” are the same type of people who are always looking to get free software or somehow find a way to cheat the system. The same people who
use the “trial version” of Reaper forever without paying for it. The same people who
see nothing wrong with getting cracked copies of Cubase or posting third-party sound
libraries on mirror sites so everyone can have “the sounds they deserve”.

I’ve been pointing out all along that installing a 2GB Mutec flashboard isn’t really going
to give you any advantage. Case closed.

Dave, you’re neglecting the situations where there are very few samples, but they’re large. One case in point, Chick’s Mark V.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 01:15 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
DschoKeys - 14 May 2014 12:41 PM

...According to “Musiker Lanze’s” and “hape13’s” (hape tested two different boards on his MOXF) tests, loaded voices are working as normal, and long .wav-files can be played from the sequencer without noise/latency/crashes...with Flash-Boards totally filled up; the latter one could be relevant when one wants to play long Backing Tracks from the sequencer, for example....

DschoKeys, I absolutely agree...the ability to utilize longer/larger .WAV files from Flash is huge...even without the ability to STORE any additional WAVEFORMS or Samples (by count) than allowed by the OS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 01:17 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Additional info from the German Musiker-Board: The Flash-Board indeed CAN be filled up with 2GB of samples/waveforms for a total of 4GB in the Motif XF and 2GB in the MOXF!!!

According to “Musiker Lanze’s” and “hape13’s” (hape tested two different boards on his MOXF) tests, loaded voices are working as normal, and long .wav-files can be played from the sequencer without noise/latency/crashes...with Flash-Boards totally filled up; the latter one could be relevant when one wants to play long Backing Tracks from the sequencer, for example. [...]

Vielen Dank, Jo. The tests by hape13 (Hans-Peter Henkel) and Musiker Lanze are quite compelling.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 01:24 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
cmayhle - 14 May 2014 01:15 PM

...According to “Musiker Lanze’s” and “hape13’s” (hape tested two different boards on his MOXF) tests, loaded voices are working as normal, and long .wav-files can be played from the sequencer without noise/latency/crashes...with Flash-Boards totally filled up; the latter one could be relevant when one wants to play long Backing Tracks from the sequencer, for example....

DschoKeys, I absolutely agree...the ability to utilize long/large .WAV files from Flash is huge...even without the ability to STORE any additional WAVEFORMS or Samples (by count) than allowed by the OS.

C’mon guys. It takes the same amount of
time to load Chick’s Mark V to the Mutec
as it does loading it to a 1GB board.
The only difference would be that if
you have one 2GB Mutec board, yes you
have room for other samples on that same
board..but, you cant have another flashboardx
installed and expect the system to address
anything on THAT board, if you have reached
the limit on your Mutec board.

So...you can either have 1 2GB Mutec
board or two 1GB boards. But the loading time
would be the same in either scenario, and
as Mutec themselves state, you cannot
exceed the addressable waveform or memory
limit.

I stand by the statement that there is no
real advantage to installing the Mutec
board. As well as my statement about
the cheater/freebie mindset. I’ve been
in this business too long to pretend
that isnt a factor.

Go ahead and dream if you want, buy the
Mutec board, have fun. It doesnt change
the facts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 01:43 PM
DschoKeys
Joined  07-08-2005

Musiker Lanze installed two Flash Boards at the same time and filled them both up with two GB of samples/waveforms EACH! Everything worked as expected.

All the best, :)

Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2014 @ 01:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavePolich - 14 May 2014 01:24 PM
cmayhle - 14 May 2014 01:15 PM

DschoKeys, I absolutely agree...the ability to utilize long/large .WAV files from Flash is huge...even without the ability to STORE any additional WAVEFORMS or Samples (by count) than allowed by the OS.

C’mon guys. It takes the same amount of
time to load Chick’s Mark V to the Mutec
as it does loading it to a 1GB board.
The only difference would be that if
you have one 2GB Mutec board, yes you
have room for other samples on that same
board..but, you cant have another flashboardx
installed and expect the system to address
anything on THAT board, if you have reached
the limit on your Mutec board.

So...you can either have 1 2GB Mutec
board or two 1GB boards. But the loading time
would be the same in either scenario, and
as Mutec themselves state, you cannot
exceed the addressable waveform or memory
limit.

I stand by the statement that there is no
real advantage to installing the Mutec
board. As well as my statement about
the cheater/freebie mindset. I’ve been
in this business too long to pretend
that isnt a factor.

Go ahead and dream if you want, buy the
Mutec board, have fun. It doesnt change
the facts.

Nobody besides yourself brought up the issue of loading time. The point that I made was that Chick’s Mark V is huge (400MB), but has few (five) WAVs. I had considered Chick’s Mark V not worth keeping installed because it hogged so much valuable space, but if larger flash memory is available then it’s less of a problem.

I respectfully suggest that you look at the evidence presented on the German site. Google Translate isn’t perfect, but it’s adequate. If nothing else, please look at the pictures that DschoKeys linked to.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 4