mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "TRAINING DVD MOXF 6 OR 8 Or Training on Flash"

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 01:10 PM
Joshman
Total Posts:  208
Joined  10-28-2013

Does anyone know if there has been or will be a Training Video for the MOXF 6/8 soon?  I had heard that Phil did was going to do an in depth article one Flash has that been published yet ?
Please Advise
Many Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 03:06 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Joshman - 05 May 2014 01:10 PM

Does anyone know if there has been or will be a Training Video for the MOXF 6/8 soon?  I had heard that Phil did was going to do an in depth article one Flash has that been published yet ?
Please Advise
Many Thanks

The DVD for loading, saving, and managing
data (including Flash memory) has been
filmed and is in post production. No release
date has yet been announced.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 03:23 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

What about Phil’s article
Bad Mister was going to publish?
I think right here in the Motifator

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 05:01 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Thanks for the Heads Up on the DVD..
Please let me know where and when I can obtain a copy as soon as it’s available..Many Thanks
Joshman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2014 @ 03:17 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Does anyone know if the Training Video for the MOXF 6/8 has been published and is for sale as of yet? Also, I had heard that Phil was going to do an in depth article on Flash has that been published yet ?
Please Advise
Many Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2014 @ 03:55 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Keyfax has announced the MOXF DVD is going to be released shortly.

No, I have not authored a formal article on the subject, I’ve been taking questions on a case by case basis. I am currently working on a tutorial involving the most efficient and elegant way to organize and gain access to your Voices and Mixing Setups that use the Flash Boards.

If you have a specific question, please ask. The tutorial will be finished shortly - I’ll let you know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2014 @ 05:24 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

That is Awesome !!
Would you let me know when that is available? I would love to have it.
Will it be a Video Tutorial I awesome ?
Please do let me know

Many Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2014 @ 10:00 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Bad-Mister:
Is this tutorial you mentioned different from the one mentioned above
The The DVD for loading, saving, and managing
data (including Flash memory)?
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2014 @ 10:36 PM
Bj Surf
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-26-2014

I am also awaiting this video in hopes that it will help me grasp how to
“Shoe-horn” all my favorites onto my 512 board. Basically select sounds from inspiration in a flash set and the Easy Sounds- Live instruments.
Maybe I’m dreaming here but I can’t help but feel there is an “understandable” way of excecuting this.
Thanks also for the Heads up “Bad_Mister”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2014 @ 09:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Maybe I’m dreaming here but I can’t help but feel there is an “understandable” way of excecuting this.

Yes, there is.
First step is understanding the relationship between the audio sample and the synthesizer Voice.
When you store a Voice, what goes where.
Only then can you understand how to efficiently work with your data.

I think a big learning moment happens when you begin by taking a very simply Voice and change just the oscillator. This allows you to see, hear and experience what Yamaha calls a Voice with a new level of understanding.

Ready? It takes two minutes....  here is the basic background you need.
In a sample playback synthesizer like the MOXF. The basic building blocks are
OSCILLATOR > FILTER > AMPLIFIER

The oscillator is sound source and determines PITCH
The filter shapes the timbre or TONE
The amplifier controls the LOUDNESS

Every acoustic instrument can be analyzed with these three building blocks.
Quickly ...think of a trumpet.

The oscillator system includes a pair of human lips, and some valves that lengthen and shorten the active tubing to help adjust the pitch. But the lips are the oscillating element of the trumpet system. Without those lips rapidly vibrating, no sound
The filter is the metal and the shape of the horn itself… A cornet sounds different from a Bb trumpet which is different from a heralding trumpet. The shape makes no sound, it modifies the sound of the oscillator
The loudness system includes the lungs at one end and the bell of instrument at the other… Lung strength is primary here, but it makes no sound, it simply applies a pressure to the system… Air pressure in this example.

A synth doing a trumpet would have a set of samples to be the oscillator
A filter that shaped the harmonic content of the oscillator output.
And amp that controlled the loudness as the sound began and ended.

The oscillator (the thing vibrating, oscillating) is the portion that has to be accurately described by the system. And as you will appreciate it takes tons more data than the others. Tons more. While the filter and amplifier take several KB of data to describe, the oscillator can take several megabytes of data.

Okay enough on that for now. Call up a simple single Element Voice and try the following experiment:

What we are going to do is navigate to the parameter where the OSCILLATOR is referenced and simply swap it with a different sound source. Any of the following Voices will be great for this experiment, mainly because they each use a single oscillator - so changes you make are profound, and immediate.

Ens Mix Pre4:30(B14) String sound that is a stereo sample of an entire orchestra
Rap Lead 1 Pre5:48(C16) synthesizer lead
Feeling Pre5:50(D02) synthesizer lead

Press [EDIT]
Press numbered button [1] to view Element 1 parameters
Press [F1] OSC
Press [SF1] WAVE

It is here that the Voice accesses the Waveform that will be the sound source.
First obvious lesson: you see the Wave Bank / Wave Category / Wave Number
Change the Bank from “Pre” to “User”
If the user location is empty - you should observe the first major lesson… There is no sound.
All the other parameters together make no sound without an oscillator.

Set it back to “pre”, but this time change the Wave Category
Doing so now applies all the other Voice settings to the new oscillator, sound source
The fact that you can independently change the oscillator is fundamental to this type of synthesis. And is something fundamental you need to know about Voices that access Waveforms other than those in the preset Wave ROM.

When you have a library that contains new samples and waveforms, they will be accessed via that “user” setting we saw in the first experiment. So it is very important when you load the Voice parameters, that they “know” which exact “user” waveform they should access. Because as you can hear from our second experiment - if the Voice does not access the exact correct Waveform, the sound is just not right… Or not there at all.

Thus endeth the first lesson.

The routine of loading Voices into the MOXF is a matter of making the proper selection, and targeting the correct location, then let the MOXF do the heavy lifting… It documents exactly “where” every oscillator (waveform) goes. You job is then to backup the work it does. If you think you are finished once the data is loaded, you’re wrong. After changing your Flash Board, make a backup file!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Controlling pattern sections from external device
Next Topic:

New 2GB Flash Memory Module! ››