mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Fat JUMP-sound"

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 06:36 AM
snsbola
Total Posts:  9
Joined  02-25-2014

Hi Motif-owners, i’m struggling to create the classic synthbrass-sound to Van Halens Jump. Is there any one on this forum that would like to share it with me??

Regards
/SNSBOLA

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 07:37 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I suggest this:

If you have a handheld playback device, connect its audio outputs to the Motif XF so that you can hear and compare the sounds of the original Oberheim OB8 and the Voices you will use in the XF.

We’ve actually done a remix of the tune “Jump!” As a part of a tutorial we are working on showing how to recreate the mix environment found in classic era recordings from the 70s, 80s, and 90s… This was done on the Motif XF and we were able to match the sound to a tee using this method.

Start with a “Synth Comp” Category Voice that uses the “OB Saw” Waveform (which is based on an Oberheim sawtooth wave) I began with the Voice “After 1984” (if you get the pun then you know this is the one). Used this one, not for the opening chords, but for the more ‘string type’ backing in the interior of the song. Edited it for the more “brassy” synth hook… Actually, took out Elements to strip it down to a more brassy tone.

The opening chords were actually just the “OB Saw” waveforms in a two Element Voice… Tweak to your liking. If you are not adept at tweaking sounds yourself, get the DCP Library… The Voice “Jump!” Is absolutely nailed his Vintage Keys Library. (Dave has a gifted ear and his emulations are always spot on).

Again the original was a pretty standard sawtooth (on the brassy side of sawtooth), a little Detuned (on the original OB, that detuning was not done purposefully, it was the nature of the oscillators which would drift on you and were hardly ever really all in tune.

One thing you start to realize is you can actually improve on the sound when working in the XF (compared to the original) make the sound a bit wider in the stereo field, add specific effects (yes the OB8 predates synths with effects!) hard to believe it was mono and dry. That’s not to say the XF can do everything the original analog synths did - it can’t. But those things it can do, it can do exceedingly well!

Anyway, you reach a point in a remix where you can leave it like the original or actually create a bigger bolder sound using the tools on board.

It is something that as you work and compare directly you will hear happen. Don’t go by memory, get the original recording and do your comparison… A/B style, it’s exhilarating.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 07:48 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
snsbola - 05 May 2014 06:36 AM

Hi Motif-owners, i’m struggling to create the classic synthbrass-sound to Van Halens Jump. Is there any one on this forum that would like to share it with me??

Regards
/SNSBOLA

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/452022/

You may have to change the Bank number if you have an XF rather than XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 11:06 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

The sound is in the Vintage Keys library, available for purchase and download at the Shop.

Click on this link, then click on the “Classic Rock Synths” mp3 demo on the page:

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/motif-xf/vintage/vintage-keys-xf.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 04:11 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

Both Dave’S VK library and Pop/Rock library (I think it was P/R 1) have this voice.  both are good, I used to play in a cover band and we did this song, it works fine live.  I think Dave’s is a bit better - a bit more brassy like VH’s classic OB synthbrass.

Either Library is less than $40 last time I looked, and use existing preset waveforms (do not need flash memory).  hard to beat that unless your time has no value.  Look in the Shop here on Motivator.

For this song alone, I go with VK.  But both libraries have alot of other things that are useful, depending on what you do. 

Pop/Rock delivers more classic 80s synth songs, I used it for alot of other songs we used to cover.  Pop/Rock also has more performances, though i never use those - I rearrange based on how I want to play.

VK has a great collection of old EPs which I love and use alot, but its is less focused on mimicking exact 80s songs.  Jump is one of handful of exceptions in the library.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 06:06 PM
jwatilo
Total Posts:  32
Joined  12-31-2013

+1 for Dave’s VK library.  Worth every cent!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 06:25 PM
billbayer
Total Posts:  1
Joined  03-15-2011

“Inspiration In A Flash” has DCP’s “Jump” in User 3 G07.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 05:56 AM
snsbola
Joined  02-25-2014

Thank you all, this forum is very helpful. My Motif XF is great but even better with you guys in this forum :-D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2014 @ 03:38 PM
jcrow
Joined  10-13-2014

I am hopeful someone on this thread can help.  I have purchased the Vintage Keys- have the new sounds on my keyboard.  But can’t find the one for Jump?  What’s it called?  Which bank might I find it in?  Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2014 @ 06:02 PM
DschoKeys
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-08-2005

If you mean DCP Vintage Keys: In the Motif XS version, there is a voice called “Jump” in User3, 114 (H02). Depending on the version you have chosen (e.g. for Motif XF; X3A), it might be in another bank at the same position.

All the best, :)

Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2014 @ 09:39 PM
jcrow
Joined  10-13-2014

I found it!  Awesome.
Thanks for your help - -

[ Ignore ]