mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vocoder"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 01:35 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1/8” stereo to two 1/4” TS mono

The 1/8” stereo connects to the output of the CD player or iPhone headphone out
The two 1/4” TS mono jacks connect to the A/D Input of the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2014 @ 08:20 AM
daniel8802
Total Posts:  29
Joined  04-29-2014

Thanks again! I purchased this cable from amazon last night so it should be here tomorrow.  I’ll report back with the verdict.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2014 @ 06:20 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

Alright, so the 1/8” to Ring/Tip cable came in today.  I plugged it into my iPhone and it sort of worked through the moxf.  I can hear the volume, except it is extremely low - and yes, everything is turned up.  The volume is so low that the level meter isn’t even registering (even when I switch it to A/D).  Could this be part of the issue or a broken unit?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2014 @ 07:43 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

I’m not sure if that is an issue with the board at this point or not.  Have you heard of this happening before?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2014 @ 08:00 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
daniel8802 - 11 May 2014 07:43 PM

I’m not sure if that is an issue with the board at this point or not.  Have you heard of this happening before?

Check out This Thread right below yours.

He is using the same mic/vocoder as you with his MOXF.  Not sure exactly what the take-away here is, but obviously something is not working right in your setup!

You may need to have your board checked by a service technician.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2014 @ 08:56 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

Alright, I’m convinced I got a dead board.  I also plugged my ring/tip cable into my 15” retina MBP and the same thing is happening.  If I max everything out I get almost audible distorted audio.  When I adjust the gain knob nothing happens.  Guess I’ll have to take the board to a repair shop.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2014 @ 09:30 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Alright, I’m convinced I got a dead board.

I’m not (at all) convinced that the problem is the board. Not at all.

Low volume could be a simple setting - if I had a nickel for every time this was the cause I would have retired years ago, a very wealthy individual!!!

So before you get charged for labor (repair shops don’t like to take the time to examine gear and give you a free lesson).

Plugging anything into the Mac Book Pro’s microphone input is just not a good test for anything… the PRO in that name is talking about everything on the computer but that microphone input!!! Trust me on that one.

Alright, I’m convinced I got a dead board.  I also plugged my ring/tip cable into my 15” retina MBP and the same thing is happening.

Error - right there - you plugged a Ring/Tip (??? what is that?) into your 15” retina MBP??? WHY! 

What is this supposed to accomplish. I’m confused. What did you hope to accomplish with this connection? Which jack on the MBP did you plug this cable into? Are you using the MBP as a sound source to the MOXF input… don’t do that, please (to many things are in play with a computer as a signal source).

I realize you are looking for an alternate audio source to test your AD INPUTS: - a regular guitar cable and your thumb will cause signal to flow - yes it is a hum but it is signal and will suffice to test the jack is working. Touch the jack get a hum, let go hum stops… That tests the signal flow.

Other inexpensive test devices that almost everyone has laying around: A pair of headphones. Speakers and Microphones are devices called TRANSDUCERS - the take one form of energy and convert it to another. Yes, a speaker is the opposite of microphone.

(One takes air molecules in motion and turns them into electrons, the other does the exact opposite… takes electrons and turns them into air molecules in motion). Plug your headphones in the LEFT A/D INPUT jack. Place the left headphone close to your mouth and speak… Now the better the headphone, the better microphone they make. Of course, it is not beautiful sound, but you can certainly test your input jack and whether or not it is working… without spending extra money. And without connecting your MBP’s output to your AD Input… yikes.

Was that your thinking - to use it as a sound source?

And, please, stop MAXING everything out. You are going to blow your gear up or worse, your ears. Gear, you can always buy more gear… (expensive yes, but you can always buy more)… your ears, on the other hand, sorry, you get one set of those, blow those up and you’re done. The most common mistake made when something is wrong with sound is not believing and understanding what your METERS are telling you. Before you allow sound to come out of your speakers to your ears, you should have a meter that is telling you what to expect.

Did you know the most sensitive part of your body to heat is your upper lip… Do you know why? it is to prevent you from fatally putting something in your mouth that will burn you beyond repair… like a glass of molten lava!!! or Java, as the case may be…
:-)
Did you know that meters are designed to give you a good idea of what output level you are going to get before you fatally put signal into your ears that will take them beyond the point of repair? Trust your meters, stop MAXING everything out, if you are not sure. Especially when you are not sure. Trust me on this, I have met enough hard-of-hearing musicians (and it is not pretty)!

That’s today’s audio hint.

Please do not proceed to the repair shop just yet.

Test your AD INPUTS - make sure your instrument is set so MIC/LINE = MIC when you are using a microphone or guitar as an input source. Make sure your instrument is so MIC/LINE= LINE when you are using a keyboard or other non-microphone device as the source.

The Meter should tell you signal is flowing when your set the ON/OFF button ON.

you say you have tested the mic and cable. If you are certain they are working. Then and only then proceed to your repair shop.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2014 @ 01:54 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

Alright, I’m not attempted to start a flame war or anything but please trust me on the fact that I know some what of what I am talking about.  I deal with a lot of pro audio gear on a regular basis and have a background in selling/repairing computers.  I really appreciate your help but do not appreciate some of the sarcasm.

Let me explain, the reason I am thinking it may be the board is because when I sent Yamaha Support my ALL file they uploaded it to their MOXF and said the settings worked fine.  I am also wondering if it is the board because I have performed many tests.

Plugging anything into the Mac Book Pro’s microphone input is just not a good test for anything… the PRO in that name is talking about everything on the computer but that microphone input!!! Trust me on that one.

First, I did not plug anything into the microphone port of my MacBook (it doesn’t even have one).  I OUTPUTTED From the headphone jack into the A/D L&R;input.  I also had it on MIC as well as STEREO from the utility menu and this is when the audio was sounding very poor.  This is the cable I am using to see if the A/D input is the issue.  The purpose of this was to test the input just to see if I would get sound thru the keyboard.  Is this an incorrect cable?  Again, I DID NOT plug this into my MacBook.  I was also using this cable, again, to accomplish a simple audio test.  I wanted to see if this would give me input audio through the MOXF.

The Meter should tell you signal is flowing when your set the ON/OFF button ON.

Finally, the meter button is never flashing when I have the microphone plugged in (and no, my mic does not have a switch).  I used the same cable I am plugging into my MOXF into a m-audio soundboard I have with my headphones in the output of the soundboard and I can hear myself fine through the m-audio unit.

I hope this helps.  Any other ideas would be appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2014 @ 06:16 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

Hi Again, everyone ... Well, just to keep everyone in the loop - the problem was not a fault of mine and I was not doing anything incorrectly to make the mic work.  The crackling audio and non working a/d input blocks and output blocks were due to a bad soldering job as well as look connections.  Took it to a yamaha certified center to be repaired at no cost.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3