mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vocoder"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: May 04, 2014 @ 09:46 PM
daniel8802
Total Posts:  29
Joined  04-29-2014

Thanks ... I saw that and performed the reset however my levels are still peaking.  Gain is all the way down and it is set to line - this just started happening tonight.  It happens when I play at a harder velocity.  When I play normally it sounds fine.

Never got the vocoder working.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2014 @ 09:55 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

What are you listening on? Just headphones? If so, are they connected directly to the PHONES jack?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2014 @ 10:25 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

i am using a pair of Bose QC3s adapted with a 1/4” adapter going directly into the PHONES jack.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2014 @ 10:47 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
daniel8802 - 04 May 2014 09:46 PM

Thanks ... I saw that and performed the reset however my levels are still peaking.  Gain is all the way down and it is set to line - this just started happening tonight.  It happens when I play at a harder velocity.  When I play normally it sounds fine.

Never got the vocoder working.

You said earlier you had input set to mic, now you are saying line?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2014 @ 10:53 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

No, it’s on Mic.  I switched it to line as a test.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2014 @ 11:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
daniel8802 - 04 May 2014 10:25 PM

i am using a pair of Bose QC3s adapted with a 1/4” adapter going directly into the PHONES jack.

Is the battery fully charged? The Bose noise-cancelling headphones can distort badly otherwise. Do you need the noise cancellation? IMO there are better (standard dynamic) headphones for use with the MOXF.

Sometimes the 1/4” adapters don’t make good contact, which can also lead to poor sound quality (crackling, distortion, etc.).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 12:00 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Do you know that you have to speak into
the mic and press keys at the same time
to hear something? You’ll hear nothing if
you call up a vocoder voice or perfornance
and sing or talk into the mic without playing
on the keyboard.

I know that is perhaps a dumb thing to
point out, but some users havent grasped
the concept of playing the keyboard while
simultaneously speaking into the mic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 05:46 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Good point, Dave. Follow the steps below exactly until you understand what’s what. Let’s take it it a step at a time. This way we can determine which of your products is faulty. Assume it is the Mic or the Cable (or as Dave points out, You), before you assume it is the MOXF… These others are less expensive to fix!
:-)

Serious WARNING: In general keep the output of your MOXF slightly lower than normal so that when the Vocoder comes on you do not split your head open with LOUD output. It is better to start soft and turn up, then to turn up first, blow your ears out and then try can get your hearing back. Please trust us on this…

Turn the front panel GAIN knob to minimum to start.

SETUP for [VOICE] mode
Call up a normal Voice… Start with the “Full Concert Grand” - play and hear the piano

Setup the microphone
Plug in a dynamic microphone to the Left A/D INPUT jack and Set the MIC/LINE parameter to MIC:
Visibly view the jacks… I cannot tell you how many people mix up the left and right jacks. The left jack is the one farthest to the left when you are in front of the keyboard (closest to the low end). It’s on the right if you are viewing the the keyboard from the back.

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F3] VOICE A/D
Press [SF1] OUTPUT
Set MONO/STEREO = LMono (this matches the jack to which you connected the microphone)

Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF6] OTHER
Set MIC/LINE = MIC
Turn the A/D ON/OFF = ON
Turn the GAIN knob on the front panel clockwise to increase the level until you can hear yourself comfortably.

STOP and report....
1) Do you hear the microphone?
2) Do you see the meter on the front panel respond to your Voice?

Let us know. If the answer to either question is No, please do not continue.... Report back here! Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 11:39 AM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

Hi Dave and all,

Thanks very much for your help through all of this, I appreciate it.  Yes, I do know that you must press down a key for the vocoder to work.  However even when I turn up the gain knob after turning the proper parameters on I don’t even hear my voice through my headphones.  Bad_Mister ... I also followed your directions and the directions as described in the manual.  I also flashed the Ram with the new update last night and reset to factory.

I have an email out to Yamaha right now and I may give them a call tomorrow as well since I do not have to be in work until later.  I am going to fiddle some more when I get home tonight.

As far as my headphones go; They were charged a day or so ago.  I also have an older pair of harmon kardons that I tried with the same results as the Bose (HK regular headphones, no batteries). I even tried another 1/4” adapter with the same results.  The issue only occurs during ‘moments of velocity’ as I start to crescendo while playing.  If I play at the same velocity or if I play about C3 or C4 it is not much of an issue.  The strange part is even though it sounds like it is clipping my level meter is still green/first yellow dot.  What pair of headphones would you recommend?  Thanks so much again everyone!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 03:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Maybe I wasn’t clear on what I wanted you to try:

1) Do you hear the microphone?
2) Do you see the meter on the front panel respond to your Voice?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 04:26 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

No on both accounts.  That’s why I was confused when I at least thought I should see the level meter bouncing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 09:59 PM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

I tested the cable as well on a little MAudio unit that I had and I was able to hear my voice and see the status light so we can rule out the cable too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2014 @ 11:30 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

I haven’t read of anyone mentioning pressing the level meter button so that it is lit. Would this be necessary to pass the signal through?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 12:47 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No on both accounts.  That’s why I was confused when I at least thought I should see the level meter bouncing.

Then the mic or the cable is no good. Or you have not followed the correct setup.

I tested the cable as well on a little MAudio unit that I had and I was able to hear my voice and see the status light so we can rule out the cable too.

? So you are saying both the cable and mic are working. Ok, good. Starting to sound like a trip to repairsville.

I haven’t read of anyone mentioning pressing the level meter button so that it is lit. Would this be necessary to pass the signal through?

That’s because it only determines what the level meter is showing… And has nothing whatever to do with routing. Thus the name: “level meter button”. It simply selects whether you are metering the AD Input or the Mixed signal AD Input plus the keyboard velocity/DAW return. The ON/OFF button is the only button you need concern yourself with. With an SM58 the GAIN should be set to maximum.

I highly recommend you double check your steps. Mic/Line, Voice mode, physically look at the jack you are connecting to, etc.

Next try plugging something else into the AD Input… To test whether the MOXF jack is working. Again you are simply looking for the meter to respond.

If there is no response, take your unit to a service center.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2014 @ 11:58 AM
daniel8802
Joined  04-29-2014

If I wanted to try something like my iPhone or a CD player as a test, would I need to use a TS to 1/8” or TRS cable?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3