mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF connection to iPad using camera connection kit"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 05:29 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Hi,

I have noticed an issue while connecting MOXF6 using provided USB cable to iPad2 via
Camera connection kit. My iPad2 is updated to the latest iOS7.1 and mentioned connection works
both with my Motif ES6 and Rack XS. Both units are immediately recognized in Cubasis. Furthermore,
Rack XS works nice in Yamaha apps (Multi and Voice editor). ES is not supported in those apps,
but it also works fine with Faders & Pad app.
I was surprised that MOXF couldn’t work in the same manner, esp. since I’ve bought Performance
editor app just before I noticed this problem. USB cable that comes with MOXF is OK,
since it works with any issues while MOXF is connected to Win7 laptop and Cubase 7.5.
Before I have posted this question, I have also checked if MOXF could be seen in Yamaha iPad
apps using iConnectMIDI interface and 5pin MIDI cables. It works, but I have noticed some differences
in response during transmit/receive operations compared to Rack XS connected via USB CCkit.
I suppose that I should not buy a new interface like iMX-1 or i-UX1…

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 07:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The difference in the products that work and don’t work, is the ones that have both a MIDI and Audio USB interface (MOX, MOXF, MX) worked until iOS 7, which “broke” the function. Apple and Yamaha are working to resolve the issue. Combining audio and MIDI in a driver (a Yamaha Steinberg thing) seems to be an issue with iOS 7 from the keyboards mentioned above but was not for the earlier driver.

The Rack XS, the Motif series in general, do only MIDI via USB. (Audio for cameras is usually simple, not multiple stereo buses with high resolution sample rates… I’m guessing might have something to do with it). Multiple channels of audio are handled via the FW option in the Motif series from the beginning… given the idea was moving as many as 8 channels in the Motif (classic) and 16 audio channels in each model since… Not just stereo or dual stereo via USB as is the case with MOX, MOXF and MX. (USB is just now getting up to 16 buses. The camera kit was probably not thinking in terms of Multi bus recording like that… I’m sure it can, but the driver will need to be elegant, and adjusted, apparently).

When? .... I’m sure is the next question. This does not have an answer, just as soon as they can they fix it.
The good news is they are aware of the issue and are looking for a viable solution… So standby.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 05:00 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

BM,

Thanks for your (always!) detailed explanation.
I thought that might be a problem with iOS version,
esp. since MOXF uses USB not only for MIDI but also for audio.
First time when I have connected my equipment to iPad I was positively surprised when I saw that my old ES6 is recognized immediately without any driver installation or settings as “Yamaha Motif ES”. So, that’s why I’m a little bit disappointed when I realized that the newest keyboard don’t function in the same manner.
Finally, what would you suggest? Should I wait a little bit more for a new update of Yamaha driver or apps, or maybe to consider purchasing Yamaha interface? As I said in my question, I have iConnectMIDI interface that have both USB and two 5pin MIDI in/out channels, so I could use MOXF until…

Regards,
Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 07:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The MOXF, MOX, MX driver works fine when connected to a proper computer running a current OS. It worked fine up until iOS 7. If you are impatient use a I-device that is running and old operating system or just wait.

Sending both MIDI and Audio via USB is too good a concept to abandon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 06:28 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Bad_Mister - 22 April 2014 07:51 AM

The MOXF, MOX, MX driver works fine when connected to a proper computer running a current OS. It worked fine up until iOS 7. If you are impatient use a I-device that is running and old operating system or just wait.

Sending both MIDI and Audio via USB is too good a concept to abandon.

I completely agree with you BM! I will (try to) be patient!

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 08:05 PM
padking
Total Posts:  70
Joined  01-05-2011

If you run out of patience you can buy a Irig midi
from IKmultimedia. It works fine.
I am not sure that the midi access to the MOXF/Ipad is a priority
for Apple or Yamaha. They have a lot on their plate.

Padking

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 08:39 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Works fine? for both audio and MIDI from a MOXF? Really, that is news!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 08:58 PM
padking
Total Posts:  70
Joined  01-05-2011

I work with the Irig MIDI, it works FINE with my MOXF
using all the Yamaha software, arp and dr Pad, Synth and
dr Pad, also chord and polypad.

Never mention anything about audio.

Padking

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 03:46 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

padking - 22 April 2014 08:05 PM

I am not sure that the midi access to the MOXF/Ipad is a priority
for Apple or Yamaha. They have a lot on their plate.

Padking

I know about this product, since I have a lot of stuff from IK Multimedia, both hardware and software. But, since I already have iConnectMIDI as a MIDI to iPad interface, I am not thinking about buying another one. What version of iPad and iOS do you have? I have noticed some problems during receiving MIDI bulk in Multi Editor (I was in Song mode to be clear).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 04:18 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I work with the Irig MIDI, it works FINE with my MOXF
using all the Yamaha software, arp and dr Pad, Synth and
dr Pad, also chord and polypad.

Never mention anything about audio.

No, I know you didn’t but that is what the discussion was about. That and the camera kit. We know there are MIDI solutions, good to know that you have it working with the kit you mention… That is helpful for those looking for MIDI connectivity - we were talking about connecting specifically with the standard camera kit and the iOS 7 issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 12:19 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

The iPad has never worked with the MOXF’s USB Audio.  The MOXF does not appear to be class-compliant.  If you are implying Yamaha will update the MOXF to be class-compliant, allowing the USB Audio to work with the iPad, then that will be crazily fantastic!!!!!

nbadesign, what issue are you having with the bulk dump?  Do you hook up the MOXF to the iConnectMIDI using MIDI or USB?  I recall us having a similar conversation before, but I need a refresh on your setup.  I can look at duplicating it.  I have the original iConnectMIDI is that what you have?  I’m also still on iOS 6.  So I won’t have a 100% identical setup as yours, but I can test it out.  Not sure I can get to it tonight as I have a practice and need to be sure I’m all prepped for that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 05:27 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

SSquared - 23 April 2014 12:19 PM

The iPad has never worked with the MOXF’s USB Audio.  The MOXF does not appear to be class-compliant.  If you are implying Yamaha will update the MOXF to be class-compliant, allowing the USB Audio to work with the iPad, then that will be crazily fantastic!!!!!

nbadesign, what issue are you having with the bulk dump?  Do you hook up the MOXF to the iConnectMIDI using MIDI or USB?  I recall us having a similar conversation before, but I need a refresh on your setup.  I can look at duplicating it.  I have the original iConnectMIDI is that what you have?  I’m also still on iOS 6.  So I won’t have a 100% identical setup as yours, but I can test it out.  Not sure I can get to it tonight as I have a practice and need to be sure I’m all prepped for that.

Hi, SSquared. At first I agree with you that it is hard to believe that Yamaha drivers will be class-compliant and have audio support for iOS.

Second, regarding your kind offer to try connection with iCM. I have first version of iConnectMIDI with the latest firmware 1.27. Although in the instructions of this update manufactures states that it supports new Yamaha keyboards, there are several issues. And that was at the time when I have iOS 6 installed.
First, ES could only work using 5pin MIDI. Rack XS could work through USB hub with another MIDI controller (Keystation 32) connected via USB to the same hub. But, Rack XS could not work in such a manner with Yamaha apps, neither when it is directly connected to USB port on iCM (without hub). I have contacted iCM support, but they said to me that Yamaha drivers are specific and that they are trying to find solution. Since they have now new product line and have discontinued this version of iCM, I don’t believe that they will publish any new firmware. Now regarding MOXF. I have tried also to use USB over iCM to iPad, but only classical MIDI in/out works. I found that during receive from keyboard I got message “timeout bulk error”.
I have tried to increase bulk time in ms on MOXF, but without results. Contrary, on the same iPad2 with iOS7 and camera kit from the beginning of my post, Rack XS works smoothly with Yamaha apps without any delay. It even looks that both receive and transmit are almost instantaneous.
I hope that I gave you a lot of informations.

Thanks,
Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2014 @ 09:16 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

I tested out the iPad, iConnectMIDI and Rack XS and the Multi-Editor also timed out on me as well.  It worked the first few times, then I got the timeout.  I removed the Multi-Editor app from memory and restarted the app and still could not get rid of the timeout.

Now that I have the MOXF6, I don’t really use the iConnectMIDI anymore.  I currently still have iOS6 on my iPad, so the CCK/USB works fine for me.

Have you tried the new iOS 7.1.1?  Just curious.  The iOS/USB/Yamaha issue is kind of the only issue left that is holding me back from upgrading to iOS7.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2014 @ 06:33 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

SSquared - 27 April 2014 09:16 PM

I tested out the iPad, iConnectMIDI and Rack XS and the Multi-Editor also timed out on me as well.  It worked the first few times, then I got the timeout.  I removed the Multi-Editor app from memory and restarted the app and still could not get rid of the timeout.

Now that I have the MOXF6, I don’t really use the iConnectMIDI anymore.  I currently still have iOS6 on my iPad, so the CCK/USB works fine for me.

Have you tried the new iOS 7.1.1?  Just curious.  The iOS/USB/Yamaha issue is kind of the only issue left that is holding me back from upgrading to iOS7.

I’ve tried new iOS 7.1.1 and answer is unfortunatelly NO. CCKIT don’t work for MOXF. In all apps I received “No MIDI devices” error just after the application start. Rack XS and ES6 works on the same iOS version with CCKIT. iConnectMIDI had a problem with iOS 7.0, but with first update I could use it again. Of course, only using 5pin MIDI not via its USB port.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2014 @ 07:19 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Just an update. iConnectMIDI could not work now with MOXF via standard MIDI.
Yamaha apps didn’t say “no MIDI device”, but communication could not be established.
Interesting thing happens when I moved MIDI cables on iCM from port Din1 to Din2.
After that, led in app that corresponds to MIDI input is now green (??) so it looks like that there is some signal. Still nothing, so I should buy another MIDI interface… Or downgrade my iPad....

Padking, you said that you are using iRIG with your MOXF and that all Yamaha apps works with it.
You didn’t mentioned what version of iPad you are using (2,3,4,Air) and what iOS (6 or 7)?
I’m waiting for your answer since I don’t know whether to invest in iRIG when I have iCM or not.
Thanks in advance.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2014 @ 05:02 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Final update - found a solution!

“You can use various iOS applications with this instrument by connecting to an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch device via the
optional i-MX1/i-UX1 MIDI interface” - page 162 of MOXF Reference manual. No one said that camera connection kit could be used ;(, but I don’t know why I didn’t notice that earlier. So, I went to the local store, found last pcs of i-MX1 and just plug in iPad2 (iOS 7.1.1) and MOXF6 (both MIDI 5pin ports). All Yamaha applications works nice, without any issue!!! So, no timeout errors, problems with iOS version, etc.
I don’t know why I didn’t buy this interface earlier. Obviously, it reads at start what Yamaha instrument is connected, since it immediately recognizes when I switch from MOXF to Rack XS and vice versa. And just one thing to add, iConnectMIDI works with Yamaha instruments (ES and MOXF via DIN and Rack XS via USB MIDI) and they could be connected to each other or PC or some other instrument, even iPad, but could not work with Yamaha applications. So anyone who would like to use this apps without issues should use i-MX1 or iRIG like Padking.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF vs. S90XS
Next Topic:

Stereo piano ››