mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "More Preset Patterns?"

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 05:28 PM
m4mforever
Total Posts:  4
Joined  12-31-2013

I have a MOX8, and I feel that it is really short on preset patterns. What is the best way to get/add more preset patterns/styles like those in the cheaper Yamaha keyboards like 8 beats, 16 beats, etc?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 07:15 PM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

There’s 7000+ arp patterns, is that what you mean?

Easier to look at with the VSTeditor.

There’s no styles in mox, more of a workstation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 07:49 PM
m4mforever
Joined  12-31-2013

Ok thanks so much, but how do I access the arpeggios? The handful of patterns I’m referring to are under “drum assign” in performance mode. And what is a vst editor?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 11:56 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Hi.  Sounds like you just picked up the MOX and are hopping on the learning curve. Been on that curve for 9 months, still on it - and enjoying the climb!

MOX VST EDITOR

The MOX VST Editor is the PC/MAC software application that can be used as a “standalone” editor application or as a VSTi with your favorite DAW (particularly well integrated with Cubase). 

When opened as a standalone application, it can be synchronized with your MOX and used to create/edit/manage Voices, Song/Pattern Mixes (and Mixing Voices); you can save your work not only to the MOX but to libraries on your computer.  A great way to explore the MOX global, voice, waveform, arpeggio and song/pattern mix parameters.  I also found it helped me learn the MOX “button and screen” relationships to try to find the VST Editor parameters on the MOX LCD screen, e.g. how to use the [EDIT][COMMON] versus [EDIT][TRACK 1-16] button combinations, how to use the [ARP EDIT], and so on.

A suggestion (if you haven’t done this already) to help you understand what the VST Editor does, you might want to work through these articles in this order to start, then dig into the VST Editor manual (see the manuals link at the end of this post).

MOX6/MOX8 and your Computer: A Getting Started Guide
MOX6/MOX8: Basic Audio Recording
MOX6/MOX8: Basic Audio Recording II
MOX6/MOX8: Basic Audio Recording III
MOX6/MOX8 Basic MIDI Recording with Cubase
MOX6/MOX8: Cubase and the EDITOR VST

ARPEGGIOS

Regarding learning about arpeggios, here’s an Arpeggios 101 curriculum:
Arpeggios Explored Part 1
Arpeggios Explained Part II Sort + Direct

A really useful article on how Performances integrate Voices and Arpeggios as well as tips on when and how to record to the sequencer (Song/Pattern modes) is Playing Performances and Direct Performance Record ("Clavi Jam").  However, as the article targets the MOTIF XS user, you’ll have to explore the MOX onboard editor a bit to find the performance, voice and arpeggio parameters discussed.

And if you want to learn how to create an arpeggio, suggest starting with Drum Track Construction; the MOX has a powerful “drum machine”.  Then, you might want to check out this Arpeggio How-To link, in which Bad_Mister provides further insight and examples on creating arpeggios.

SOME OTHER MOX RESOURCES

Here’s the link to dozens of MOX Articles - from working with Voices and Performances to creating Patterns and Songs to deep dives on how to use effects, assign controllers (e.g. mod wheel, foot switches, assignable knobs), tweak voices and so on.  Also, you’ll find that many of the MOTIF XS Articles directly apply to the MOX.

And, just in case you bought a used MOX, and didn’t get the software/manual DVDs, to get to all the MOX manuals and software (except for Cubase AI), Click Here.  If you haven’t already, suggest you download and install all the latest MOX software upgrades.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 10:10 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

An arranger keyboard has styles and is like the whole band playing for you and you’re the conductor.

I have an arranger keyboard, only thing I’m doing with it is bass.

It’s my robot bass player, just send it the chord structure and pick out your bass and style. Really helps get a full sound when you’re writing.

Those arps used to be called phrases, when they had the phrase factory.

So they are riffs and groves for all instruments, lot of stuff in there.

Good if you’re a guitar player trying to play keyboard like me.

Are you working with a computer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 01:36 PM
m4mforever
Joined  12-31-2013

Thanks so much for your expertise and patience jazz.preest! Yes, I am a little technically challenged, lol. I have got some serious homework to do, and these links will keep me busy for a while, as I discover what this baby can do!!! lol Tacman-7, thanks so much I have often said my next keyboard addition will be an arranger keyboard for those reasons!!! Yes, I have a computer, it’s just that I’m more a audio/video learner, so it takes me longer when I have to sit down and read through manuals, than it would if I could just pop in a video or audio track! Youtube is pretty good too. I also tried ordering the Discovering Mox8 dvd with Badmister, but apparently they are no longer in production because everywhere I look they are sold out! But, I won’t give up, paid too much money for this keyboard not to be able to master it, that’s why I’m so glad I ran across this forum, to be connected to such awesome helpful gurus like yourselves! :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 01:49 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
m4mforever - 22 April 2014 01:36 PM

[...]I also tried ordering the Discovering Mox8 dvd with Badmister, but apparently they are no longer in production because everywhere I look they are sold out![...]

For an alternative to the physical DVD, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472101/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 02:46 PM
m4mforever
Joined  12-31-2013

Thanx 5pinDIN!!!! :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Getting back original settings?
Next Topic: