mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading Problems"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 09:53 PM
chmoxf8
Total Posts:  42
Joined  01-20-2014

I need some help regarding loading new Waveforms into a freshly formatted 1024M Flash Module in my MOXF8.  The waveforms were originally in Motif XS format on a CD ROM, which I have successfully converted to Motif XF waveforms in John Melas’ waveform editor on my computer. They were then installed on a USB thumb drive as .X3A files.  Then I try loading all of the 330MB of data as an ALL file. When I am finished after about 40 minutes, all of the USER banks simply say INITIAlIZED VOICE that sounds like a piano.  I tried this with the ‘with Waveform’ checked, and ‘with System’ both checked on and off.
I am not able to do a One Bank Voice ‘with waveform’ because when I try this, all I get is ‘File not Found’.  The only other Type that I could try was ‘WAVEFORM’.  I loaded all 26 waveforms one at a time.  This took about 1 hour.  The Flash module indicates that 330MB of the module has been used up. I was optimistic when I tried to find the new organ sounds, but every one of the USER banks still says INITIALIZED VOICE.

I am not sure what is going wrong, and /or where to find the waveforms that I have laboriously loaded into the Flash module.  I have been working on this all day and I am pretty tired of trying out all the different combinations that I can think of, and then re-formating the flash module in between attempts.  Hopefully you can help with a simple solution.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 10:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
chmoxf8 - 13 April 2014 09:53 PM

I need some help regarding loading new Waveforms into a freshly formatted 1024M Flash Module in my MOXF8.  The waveforms were originally in Motif XS format on a CD ROM, which I have successfully converted to Motif XF waveforms in John Melas’ waveform editor on my computer. They were then installed on a USB thumb drive as .X3A files.[...]

Aside from the Waveforms, what other data was converted and made part of the X3A file? If there weren’t specifically Voices, Performances, etc., that were part of the original data, or if they didn’t get converted as part of the X3A, then the initialized locations would be expected.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 10:22 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

I checked out the data in Waveform editor and it only contained Waveforms.  There were no Arpeggios or Voices in the data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 10:27 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

Is there a way to use the data that I have already loaded onto the Flash Module to create voices in my User Banks?  I thought I was doing that when I was loading the individual waveforms.  I was assigning each of them to what I thought was an actual location on the User Banks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 10:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You seem to not be fully aware of the relationship between Waveforms, Voices, etc.

This thread, although not completely on the current topic, might be helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/ub../viewthread/470760/

If you have some Waveforms properly installed to flash, then they certainly can be used with your own Voice creations. However, if the Voice banks are all currently empty, you might consider loading them as a starting point. I don’t know what sources you have available, but one possibility is to do a factory reset, which will repopulate the User Banks without affecting the contents of the flash module.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 11:12 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

I am not very experienced yet with keyboards, but I am slowly learning from this forum and the various materials that I am accumulating.  I will check out the link you have provided tomorrow morning when I am a lot fresher mentally. It has been a long frustrating day. I know that I have read it before, but it obviously didn’t completely sink in the first or the second time I read it.
I am pretty sure that I can do a factory reset without much trouble, but I am not sure how that is going to help populate the user banks with the voices that I want to create from the waveforms.

FYI, what I am trying to do is populate one of the User Banks with voices derived from the waveforms I purchased from vintagekeyboardsounds.com, specifically the 20 or so organ sounds from a 1955 Hammond B3.  Dave Hammond is the vendor.  The associated waveforms comprise about 330MB in a Motif XF file in Waveform Editor. 

If I do a factory re-set, is that going to help me with what I want to do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 11:34 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
chmoxf8 - 13 April 2014 11:12 PM

I am not very experienced yet with keyboards, but I am slowly learning from this forum and the various materials that I am accumulating.  I will check out the link you have provided tomorrow morning when I am a lot fresher mentally. It has been a long frustrating day. I know that I have read it before, but it obviously didn’t completely sink in the first or the second time I read it.
I am pretty sure that I can do a factory reset without much trouble, but I am not sure how that is going to help populate the user banks with the voices that I want to create from the waveforms.

FYI, what I am trying to do is populate one of the User Banks with voices derived from the waveforms I purchased from vintagekeyboardsounds.com, specifically the 20 or so organ sounds from a 1955 Hammond B3.  Dave Hammond is the vendor.  The associated waveforms comprise about 330MB in a Motif XF file in Waveform Editor. 

The answer is no. You need to learn
the basics of editing and programming.
That isnt something explained in a short
paragraph.

Do you know what an oscillator is, what
an amplitude envelope is, a filter envelope,
velocity, controllers,LFO’s? What the different
effects are? What is meant by “scaling”?
What a pitch EG is?

If you dont then a course in synthesizer
basics is necessary. The “Sound Advice”
DVD set, available at the Shop on this site,
is a good resource.

The waveforms provided in VintageKeyboardSounds
products are just the basic building blocks..
the “colors” for your paintbox. You have to
make the “pictures” (voices) using those
colors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 06:20 AM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

The simple answer to most of your questions is that I clearly don’t know nearly enough to accomplish what I would like to do with these waveforms to create the voices that I would like.  I guess I could spend a huge amount of time learning how, but as a non-professional musician, I would rather just play music than spend all of my time learning technical skills that I will rarely use again.
I suppose the best thing for me to do is to re-format the Flash Module and start again with another product that will allow me to directly load banks of voices into the MOXF8.  I have already done this before, and it didn’t involve buying additional DVDs and becoming a computer programmer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 07:09 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
chmoxf8 - 13 April 2014 11:12 PM

If you don’t have it already, the Synthesizer Parameter Manual can be helpful. Here’s a source for it:
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/moxf6moxf8_synth_en_pm_a0.pdf

chmoxf8 -

Until now, you hadn’t revealed what the 330MB was comprised of. It isn’t necessary that you do a factory reset, but since I had no idea what Waveforms you had installed to flash, at least that had the potential of giving you a starting point.

Even experienced synth users sometimes find it a challenge to create good Voices when all they have to start with are samples. I’d suggest that as a beginning, you might try substituting the Waveforms in flash for those already in factory Voices, rather than starting from scratch. Examining factory Voices, referring to the manual I linked to and other sources, should help you program your own Voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 03:33 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

Before I completely give up on this attempt to use the Waveforms from vintagekeyboardsounds.com, I thought I would mention some of the material from their ad. In the case of the Farisa sounds, this is a portion of the description:

“We also offer Motif VOICE files for owners of the Yamaha Motif ES and XS. These files are easily loaded as sample waveforms so you may import them directly into your Motif ES or XS (step-by-step instructions included).”

You will note that they say that VOICE files are provided, but so far I haven’t been able to hear any voices or see evidence of them on the User Banks. 

I am not sure if this has to do with the fact that I have a MOXF8 rather than a Motif ES or XS.  If so, then that is a simple explanation. 
I have converted the XS files into XF form.  I am not sure if that would be a problem, but I don’t think so.  If I am wrong, please let me know. 

I have sent an e-mail off to the vender at vintagekeyboardsounds.com to see if I can get any help.  If he can provide me with a simple explanation or solution, I will let the forum members know. 

For the time being, I have purchased B’s Knees for Motif XF from the Motifator Shop. As long as I can load it into one of my User Banks (other than Bank 4 as per the details in the Shop description), I should be satisfied with the Hammond B3 sounds. On the other hand I would really like to hear the Farfisa and Gibson 101 sounds from vintagekeyboard.com and unless I can figure out how to either access or create the voices, I guess I will be disappointed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 04:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

On the other hand I would really like to hear the Farfisa and Gibson 101 sounds from vintagekeyboard.com and unless I can figure out how to either access or create the voices, I guess I will be disappointed.

Who is ‘vintagekeyboard.com’???
I find no such url? Is it just me?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 05:06 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
Bad_Mister - 14 April 2014 04:53 PM

On the other hand I would really like to hear the Farfisa and Gibson 101 sounds from vintagekeyboard.com and unless I can figure out how to either access or create the voices, I guess I will be disappointed.

Who is ‘vintagekeyboard.com’???
I find no such url? Is it just me?

http://www.vintagekeyboardsounds.com

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 05:39 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I see no mention of being compatible with current Yamaha keyboards. So I guess that is where the problem began… trying to convert a library that was not made for the keyboard you are putting it in - and not knowing how or what needs to be done to get them into the current Yamaha keyboard.

Hope it is worth the effort.

Can you tell us what or how you attempted to use the Melas Waveform Editor to convert them?
Can you post a screenshot of your data in the Melas Waveform Editor? A picture could tell so much…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 05:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
chmoxf8 - 14 April 2014 03:33 PM

Before I completely give up on this attempt to use the Waveforms from vintagekeyboardsounds.com, I thought I would mention some of the material from their ad. In the case of the Farisa sounds, this is a portion of the description:

“We also offer Motif VOICE files for owners of the Yamaha Motif ES and XS. These files are easily loaded as sample waveforms so you may import them directly into your Motif ES or XS (step-by-step instructions included).”

You will note that they say that VOICE files are provided, but so far I haven’t been able to hear any voices or see evidence of them on the User Banks. [...]

From their Hammond page:
We also offer Motif voice files for owners of the Yamaha Motif ES and XS. These files are easily loaded as sample waveforms so you may import them directly into your Motif ES or XS (step-by-step instructions included). Please email us if you wish for us to include either the Motif ES or XS files.

The question is, exactly what was included in what you received?

Had you asked for the offered Voice files?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 06:53 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

5pin, I think you figured out the situation. The “voice” files have to be requested by the
VintageKeyboardSounds customer. They’re not “included” in the download unless one
emails Hammond Dave and asks for them.

One has to wonder why the programmer did this...I certainly wouldn’t offer a library that
was waveforms only. I’m guessing he was trying to provide his samples in a manner that
would work universally with any sampler.

Here’s what I would do - load the VKS waveforms to flash, then load in B’s Knees and
call up a voice from that library - like the first one. Then select the first element and replace
its waveform with a VKS waveform. Do the same for the remaining eight elements. Store as
a user voice. Move on to another B’s Knees voice and do the same thing...and so on.

I did buy VKS’ “Elka Panther” sample library, and now that I think back, I had to email Hammond Dave and ask for the separate XS voice files that the samples “belonged to”.
And as I recall, the voices he sent weren’t really very good, so I went back to making my
own voices and using the waveforms in elements in those.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 10:05 AM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

I have purchased the B’s Knees program from KeyFAX and have successfully installed it into User Bank 3.  It was ridiculously easy to do.  I will also be calling up the vendor at VKS, who has offered to walk me through the process. Although I am pleased with the Hammond sounds from KeyFAX, I would like to try out the Farfisa and Gibson sounds from VKS.  If it is relatively easy to do, I will give it a try.  If it is a major piece of work, then I will not make the effort.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF User Voice Capacity ?
Next Topic:

motifator.com ››