mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Two Keyboard Options"

Posted on: April 05, 2014 @ 05:40 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys!

Which, and why, two keyboard combination would you go with:

1) Yamaha MOXF8 and a Roland FA-06?

2) Roland FA-08 and a Yamaha MOXF6?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2014 @ 09:04 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

I think I have tried the Roland, but I can’t recall.  I don’t really know which way *I* would go.  But I recommend considering the following:

How do you plan on using these?  Is this for a live setup?  Is this only for home use?  Is only one going to be used for live?  If only one is for live use, will it be the 61-key or the 88-key you want to use live?

Are you mainly going to use the 88-keys for piano?  Is piano even an important sound for you?

Do you use the mod wheel a lot?  Although I use mod wheels on 88 keys, it can be an odd stretch.  A lot more comfortable to use pitch/mod on 61 keys.  Just to point out, the Roland has no separate mod wheel.

Spend time playing both 88-key versions.

Figure out what you want out of the 88-keys and out of the 61-keys.  Then look at all four boards and consider which best fits your 88-key needs and your 61-key needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2014 @ 09:31 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi SSquared :)

At this point, mainly for Home Recording use. I will use the 88 as my main Keyboard for playing Piano.

I agree that the Mod/Pitch Bend Wheels on the MOXF8 are awkward to use because there on top of the keyboard.

My thoughts so far are that as far as the 88 keys go (used mainly for Piano), I won’t be using either the Yamaha or Roland Wheels/Joy Stick, so I can go with the Roland as my bottom keyboard.

That means that I will use the MOXF6 for strings, bass, horns, synth, etc.

So for those type sounds, the Mod/Pitch Bend Wheels are in the more traditional position (next to low C) on the MOXF6.

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 01:49 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
jerrydpi - 05 April 2014 09:31 PM

Hi SSquared :)

At this point, mainly for Home Recording use. I will use the 88 as my main Keyboard for playing Piano.

You might want to consider something like Yamaha CP50 stage piano or another 88key as your piano and master controller (same price point as MOXF8).

Wondering why you’re doubling up on functionality: Roland FA and MOXF are both music production workstations targeting the same market niche.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 04:46 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I suspect he wants both Roland sounds and Yamaha sounds. While they cover the same ground in theory, they don’t sound the same.

You should go to a dealer that has both of the 88 key versions and try them. I’m originally an organist who’s not at all picky about piano actions so I have no opinion myself.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 06:51 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
meatballfulton - 06 April 2014 04:46 AM

I suspect he wants both Roland sounds and Yamaha sounds. While they cover the same ground in theory, they don’t sound the same.

Hi meatballfulton (how ya’ been doin’?)

Bingo!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 08:49 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
jerrydpi - 06 April 2014 06:51 AM
meatballfulton - 06 April 2014 04:46 AM

Hi meatballfulton (how ya’ been doin’?)

Bingo!!!

Ah.  Well, in that case, if you like the Yamaha MOXF8 keybed, you might want to team it up with the Roland Integra 7 sound module.

The Roland FA-08 has a subset of the Roland Integra 7.

(EDIT) On the other hand, seems if you like the Roland FA-08 keybed better and don’t care about the missing Supernatural Roland voices, your least expensive option might be Roland FA-08, and using your current Yamaha synth as a rack?

BTW, I’ve got a similar desire for, first, expanded sounds and, secondly, a good 88key keyboard.  As I’ve a well-equipped music production platform (Intel i7, 8GB RAM, multiple fast hard drives, Windows 7), decided to expand sound resources by integrating software libraries (Native Instruments Komplete 9 @ $500 first on list) and, if picking up an 88key, looking into 88key midi controllers with aftertouch, e.g Akai MPK88 @ $800 or the Studiologic VMK-188 @ $1000.  Would use MOX6 as rack as well as “Performance-Pattern-Song” motif development tool.

[ Ignore ]