mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Headphone Output OK, L and R Outputs Low Volume"

Posted on: March 31, 2014 @ 06:40 PM
bugstone
Total Posts:  10
Joined  01-22-2006

Hello,

I have not used my ES6 for a number of years.  I tried using it today by connecting my powered Genelec monitors directly to the synth via balanced TRS jacks to the L and R output jacks.  I can hear sound; but, the volume is very low.  The headphone volume is fine.  The monitors and cables are fine.  I don’t know why this is happening.  Is there some kind of assign switch that I inadvertently hit?  Is there any reason why the headphone out is ok; but, the L and R output is way soft?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bugs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2014 @ 03:41 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Did you factory reset your ES? You should do so ... Try that then let us know… This will take care of any changes you may have inadvertently made. But the headphone out and the main L/R are always affected together.

Volume is subjective, as long as you realize this, you’ll be okay. You are not measuring anything here. We get the sense you are saying the headphones sound pretty much as they always have, it’s the main outputs that are unusually low from what you remember…

And although you say the speakers and cables are okay, you offer no proof of this, not even any non- scientific, subjective proof, so actually, they are still suspects in this crime. You are using TRS type cables between the keyboard and the monitors? The keyboard is unbalanced (TS) out (we assume you know this)…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2014 @ 04:19 PM
bugstone
Joined  01-22-2006

Thanks for your interest Bad Mister,

I know that it is not the cables, the speakers or the fact that I am using TRS jacks because the sound is fine coming out of the L and R Assign outputs.  I used the TRS jacks connected to the main outputs for years. When I say soft I mean REALLY Soft.  The volume level of the main outputs with the fader all the way up while playing sounds in Voice mode is the equivalent of the volume level of my cd player coming into my the AIEB2 card digitally with the audio in volume set at about 7 while in Performance mode and using the L and R Assign outs - not even close!  The headphone out blasts the headphones just fine with the fader up full.  Could it be dust?- I did read of someone fixing their output fader by physically cleaning it with alcohol. Is there really no possible circuit variable between the headphone out and the L and R main outs?

Anyway, thanks for your patience.
Bugs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2014 @ 05:55 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Master Volume control (fader) precedes the Main L/MONO and R output amplification and the PHONES amplifier. If it was the cause of low output at the main outputs, it would affect the PHONES level as well.

Just past the Master Volume the circuit branches to the main and headphone amps. Since the headphone volume is sufficient, the problem is apparently in the main line amp stage. It uses a dual op-amp, so if that failed both channels might be affected. It’s possible that the output coupling capacitors are bad, or that the muting transistors have become leaky.

If you can’t have the ES looked at right away, the PHONES output can be used with proper cabling. Any loss in quality should not be substantial.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2014 @ 06:54 AM
bugstone
Joined  01-22-2006

Thanks 5pinDIN,

I will check that out.

Bugs

[ Ignore ]