mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Copy effects from voice to performance?"

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 04:25 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

I created a performance with just one part.  The voice itself has the effects I want, but the performance doesn’t.

Is there a way to tell the performance that I want it to use the effects from that voice?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 05:36 PM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

In your Performance click Edit> Common> Effect> Ins Sw - make sure it’s set to on, be sure to save if you had to change it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 05:54 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

Yes, it’s already set to ON.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 06:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is there a way to tell the performance that I want it to use the effects from that voice?

To understand what happens, a Voice in Voice mode has 2 Insert Effects which are apart of the Voice architecture itself. Insert Effects can have controllers assigned to control them in real time. The Voice also uses the following items from the system… A reverb, a chorus (time delay) effect, plus a master effect, and a master EQ, before the output.

When you take your Voice and go to Performance mode, or Song mode or Pattern mode - you place it in a PART. The PART parameters work like a mixer allowing you to combine multiple Voices together, it is like an individual musician joining a band… and the band has a mixer. You plug the output of your individual sound into the band’s mixer.

That mixer resets your volume to 100, pans you center, strips off the reverb and chorus processor, resets the Master Effect, sets the channel of the mixer so that the EQ is flat, etc., etc.,

So of course, the Voice sounds different in a Performance. Although it brought along its 2 Insertion Effects, it did not bring along the SYSTEM EFFECTS or the EQ, or the Master Effects…

All the musicians in the band share the system mixer… In your case you are only using one Part of the Performance, but you can understand that the Performance PART parameters are the settings on this virtual mixer.

The Good News:
You can COPY the REVERB and the CHORUS and other attributes from that Voice into your Performance. This will make them the a Reverb and Chorus types shared by all four PARTS. Each Part has a SEND control… Just like on a mixer where each channel has two Auxiliary Send controls to these System Effects. They become like the studios effects… Where the Insert Effects belong to the Voice itself.

From your PERFORMANCE
Press [JOB]
Press [F3] COPY
Press [SF2] VOICE
Set the original Voice location
Select the attributes you which to Copy, by placing an “x” in the box next to the item
Reverb, chorus, master EQ, master effect
Press [ENTER] to execute.

This will copy the Effect Types, but does not make the SEND amount settings, naturally, you do that by ear, in the context of the Voices you’re combining this with.

Manually set your Reverb and Chorus SEND amounts to your taste.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2014 @ 02:58 AM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

It’s odd that I’ve not had to do that. It’s always been about the Ins Sw.

Then again, it’s probably to do with the Melas Editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2014 @ 09:13 AM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

This has been extremely helpful.  Thank you.  Between this post and one of the articles, it will help me moving forward as I create sounds.  It means I need to rethink which effects I use for Inserts vs. System/Master for a Voice.  On my Motif Rack-XS I only used Voices, so never thought about the consequences of this.  But with the MOXF I have been working on Performances and eventually Mixing Songs/Patterns.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2014 @ 11:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It helps to think about it as a mixing console that has two Aux Sends… the REVERB - you only need one for all the instruments because each channel has a send amount. Reverb recreates the natural outer environment, the room or space in which all the music takes place. The Send amount helps position the music closer or further from the ‘listener’. The CHORUS (or Time Delay) effect is also reached by this Aux Send arrangement.

The Insert Effects belong to the individual musician (Distortion and wah-wah on the guitar; Overdrive and Rotary Speaker on the organ, Damper Resonance (soundboard) and VCM EQ on the piano, etc., etc.).

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF CUBASE AND Windows XP?
Next Topic:

sampling sounds from other keyboards to Yamaha XF ››