mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha Steinberg Driver v 1.8.4 Issue on Vista"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: March 11, 2014 @ 09:24 AM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

I recently updated to the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver v1.8.4 on my Vista 32-bit laptop.  Once installed, the computer would no longer see the MOXF6.  When plugging in the MOXF6 through USB, Windows displayed the dialogs to search for an appropriate driver.  I re-installed the driver and I got the same problem.  I still had the installer for the previous driver so I re-installed the previous version (I think it was 1.8.3, but I am not near the computer at the moment to check for sure) and now everything is working again.

As the 1.8.4 update did not appear to include anything too specific to my needs, I’m good with the older Driver.  But do want to mention this issue in case I want to update to a future driver or if others might run into it.

Anyone else having issues with the 32-bit driver on Vista?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2014 @ 09:42 AM
merthj
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-15-2014

Hello SSquared,

I have the same operating system on my machine and I experienced the same when I installed v1.8.4 Steinberg USB driver. I had to revert to the v1.8.3 in order to keep my system working. Fortunately I had the installer of the previous version…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2014 @ 10:46 AM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

Thanks for the post. I hope the next driver will work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2014 @ 12:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We need clarification… When you say the computer no longer “sees the MOXF” what does that mean exactly.

There is not reported issue with a Vista except these two reports here.

We need to have you know where to look for the exact version in order to file a report for you. Or you can call Yamaha when you get your information together and report it directly. Are you connecting to a DAW software? If so which one? What version?

Please let us know. Don’t wait for the next update… Vista just keeps getting older and older and farther and farther in the technology rear view mirror…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2014 @ 01:11 PM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

By not seeing the MOXF, I mean the computer is no longer recognizing how to communicate with the attached MOXF6.  As I mentioned, “When plugging in the MOXF6 through USB, Windows displayed the dialogs to search for an appropriate driver.” This is what happens when a driver is not installed and you plug in an unrecognizable USB device.  There is no DAW involved at this point at all.  Windows sees a device plugged in to the USB port, does its checks and displays the dialog boxes saying to install the appropriate driver.  When I revert back to the 1.8.3 driver everything works again.  When I install the 1.8.4 driver, Windows again says there is no recognizable driver and wants to locate the correct driver to use.

Essentially when I install the 1.8.4 driver, Windows no longer thinks it has an appropriate driver to communicate to the MOXF6.  When I install the older 1.8.3 driver, Windows no longer complains and communication between the synth and computer work.

I have the 1.03.0 firmware installed in the keyboard..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2014 @ 07:03 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Please verify the installation of v1.8.4 as follows:

Go to Control Panel > the icon for the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver should appear. Launch the Control Panel, what does it report? Thanks.

We’ll check with engineering, but have not heard of any incompatibilities thus far. And know of several people using Vista with the driver.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2014 @ 01:10 AM
merthj
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-15-2014

I tried to dig into the deep of this driver problem.
The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver installer copies the files to the c:\Program Files\Yamaha\Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver folder.

Comparing the files in case of the two driver version all the files are different. The ysusb.inf file contains some modifications, there is a new device which has been added, and the developers changed [Manufacturer] section from this value:
%MfgName%=Yamaha,NTx86.5.1,NTAMD64.5.2
to this:
%MfgName%=Yamaha,NTx86.6.1,NTAMD64.6.1

On this site you can find information about the meaning of this parameter:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff547454(v=vs.85).aspx

That means while the old v1.8.3’s supported minimal operating system was Windows XP, the new v1.8.4 supports only at least Windows 7. For supporting Windows Vista there should be 6.0 in the inf file.

So I must say it is not possible to use the new v1.8.4 driver for the Windows Vista in this state. Maybe it could be run under Vista, but the developers did not allow to run it.

The installer not blocks the setup process on Vista. Therefore many of us may believe that it is applicable for this OS, while the inf file prevent the usage.

Should be clarify whether Yamaha finished supporting of Windows Vista, or made a mistake in the manufacturer section of the inf file.

(On the control panel appears the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver v1.8.4, but the device “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8” cannot be selected, because the driver is not installed, in the device manager it is a “question marked, driverless” device.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2014 @ 08:31 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

It appears that v1.8.4 is indeed for Windows7 and later only. Sorry for the confusion.
I will attempt to get clarification for XP and Vista users, I’ll report back ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2014 @ 09:23 AM
SSquared
Joined  01-29-2014

Thanks for looking into this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2014 @ 06:41 AM
GrandMS
Total Posts:  41
Joined  07-27-2004

I have the same problems with Vista.
Is there a solution in the meantime?
Where can I download an older version of the driver?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2014 @ 06:54 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The obvious solution would be to update your computer (in computer terms, its time).

Each driver download, each computer application always lists the compatible operating systems and requirements. Usually if you are back one generation there are few problems, but if Vista was the sixth generation, the Windows systems are at 8 now… You can anticipate less and less compatibility with new software and drivers as the years go on.

A close read of the most recent driver download indicates that it supports Windows 7 and later. This does not always mean it will not work, but that it is now beyond a point that it is recommended any more. In general, if your OS is not listed, do not install that driver… It is that simple, really.

As to where you can get the older driver, you may need to contact Yamaha customer support, if you don’t keep your most recently installed drivers in your download area (always highly recommended, by the way).

I will attempt to get clarification on this as well, as I’m sure you are not the only one that doesn’t always read all of the Requirements, I’m guilty as well… But computers seem to obsolete the old on a consistent basis, so we all have to be vigilant.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2014 @ 07:49 AM
GrandMS
Joined  07-27-2004

if you don’t keep your most recently installed drivers in your download area (always highly recommended, by the way)

Hey, Bad_Mister

Thank you for your ‘encouraging’ words.
I bought my MoXF 6 yesterday.
So - unfortunately - I have no recently installed drivers in my download area.
And my old MoX Drivers (V 1.7.3) work under Vista, but won’t work with the MoXF.

Is this Yamaha’s customer-friendly policy ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2014 @ 08:21 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

We’d love to give everyone a new computer. :-)

Is your comment serious? No, it is not any policy of Yamaha, at all. I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. If you have a serious question we’d be happy to look into it for you. Are you serious? Sorry for your inconvenience but don’t see what can be done in this case.

The driver necessary to connect to your computer is listed with the software you are trying to run.
What software are you trying to run?
What are the requirements of that software?

The MOXF came out in 2013
It comes with Cubase AI 7 2013
These software require at least Windows 7 (or later to run)
Windows 7 came out in 2009
Windows Vista (2007) is now 7 years old…

Not sure why I need to explain this, but it will, if you like find out for you what to do if you want to run these free software packages.

You do always have the option/right to forego the free stuff and purchase items that will run on you legacy system.

I will find out as promised to the OP find out about legacy drivers, but I cannot on Sunday, your patience is requested. OK ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2014 @ 08:27 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
GrandMS - 23 March 2014 07:49 AM

Hey, Bad_Mister

Thank you for your ‘encouraging’ words.
I bought my MoXF 6 yesterday.
So - unfortunately - I have no recently installed drivers in my download area.
And my old MoX Drivers (V 1.7.3) work under Vista, but won’t work with the MoXF.

Is this Yamaha’s customer-friendly policy ?

No guarantees, but try:
http://japan.steinberg.net/jp/support/downloads/ur22.html
--- or ---
http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/downloads_ur22.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2014 @ 09:32 AM
GrandMS
Joined  07-27-2004
Bad_Mister - 23 March 2014 08:21 AM

We’d love to give everyone a new computer. :-)

Is your comment serious? No, it is not any policy of Yamaha, at all. I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. If you have a serious question we’d be happy to look into it for you. Are you serious? Sorry for your inconvenience but don’t see what can be done in this case.

The driver necessary to connect to your computer is listed with the software you are trying to run.
What software are you trying to run?
What are the requirements of that software?

The MOXF came out in 2013
It comes with Cubase AI 7 2013
These software require at least Windows 7 (or later to run)
Windows 7 came out in 2009
Windows Vista (2007) is now 7 years old…

Not sure why I need to explain this, but it will, if you like find out for you what to do if you want to run these free software packages.

You do always have the option/right to forego the free stuff and purchase items that will run on you legacy system.

I will find out as promised to the OP find out about legacy drivers, but I cannot on Sunday, your patience is requested. OK ?

Thanks,

I’m not interested in Cubase, I primarily wish to work with John Melas editors, so I only need the midi ports.

I followed your advice and contacted the German customer support. Hope they could help me.

I wish you a happy sunday.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2014 @ 09:59 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
GrandMS - 23 March 2014 09:32 AM

I’m not interested in Cubase, I primarily wish to work with John Melas editors, so I only need the midi ports.[..]

Did you look at what I linked to above?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB Flash versus Expansion Module
Next Topic:

Where do my FIles go when I load them? ››