mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Important Question about my multi-platform audio-interface"

Posted on: March 10, 2014 @ 10:14 AM
kmart
Total Posts:  87
Joined  09-25-2010

I recently bought the Cakewalk V Studio 100. I am in the process of learning how to use it with my keyboard as controller.I have a simple question. I am using it with a Yamaha MM6. I want to learn how to do audio recording first using this ai as a stand-alone. I have taken Cubase and Mixing classes and seem to have missed and few critical areas of understanding including the term “bus”.Here is my question: Do I need one or two MIDI Cables to connect the audio interface to the keyboard controller? I also have a Yamaha NP 31.It appears that the MM6 would make a better controller. Later I can use Cubase or Sonar. Right now I just want to hear the keyboard. I have Alesis Elevate and BX5’s. I am using the Alesis monitors as a test before I plug in my better quality monitor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2014 @ 11:10 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Do I need one or two MIDI Cables to connect the audio interface to the keyboard controller? I also have a Yamaha NP 31.It appears that the MM6 would make a better controller. Later I can use Cubase or Sonar. Right now I just want to hear the keyboard.

If all you want to do is hear the keyboard, you don’t require any MIDI cables. MIDI cables carry MIDI data, you cannot hear MIDI data - this is just a series of coded messages that carry information about a musical performance. They are not sound on their own.

YOu need audio cables to carry signal from the keyboard to the Audio Interface, and cables to carry signal from the Audio interface to your speakers. MIDI is not involved, at all, at this stage of things.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2014 @ 08:43 PM
kmart
Total Posts:  87
Joined  09-25-2010

At what point could I require a MIDI cable or two? Is it for mixing or for use with a DAW or something else?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2014 @ 03:30 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

MIDI cables are for when you want to connect to another device that has MIDI jacks… this could include another keyboard or synth module, or to a MIDI interface. Mostly computers do not have MIDI jacks so they are useless for connecting directly to a computer.

Typically you would have some external device that supports standard MIDI jacks and cables. It is not necessary on most Yamaha MUSIC PRODUCTION synths because they connect to the computer via either USB jacks or FireWire (depending on your product) for MIDI communication.

These connection types are more efficient than the pair of 5-pin cables for MIDI IN and OUT. Via USB, for example, from the MM you would be able to send and return MIDI data on 16 channels via that single USB cable connection. And most computers come equipped with USB jacks, no computer since Yamaha stopped making them in the early 1990’s, come with standard MIDI jacks. (Yamaha no longer makes computers, musicians could not find the MIDI jacks!) :-)

If you are connecting to a computer DAW use a simple USB cable for MIDI communication.

in order to transfer audio, you will require an AUDIO INTERFACE (these often come additionally with 5-pin MIDI jacks, just in case your keyboard is not as sophisticated to have its own built-in USB-MIDI connection, as your MM does).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2014 @ 03:38 AM
hhampte
Total Posts:  6
Joined  03-02-2014

The MM6 is already equipped with a USB if you are connecting to a Computer but if you are using it as a Master or Slave MIDI controller with your V-studio 100 you have to set it up within the controllers themselves as a stand alone via MIDI setup.

The V-studio is an Audio/MIDI interface that can be used as a standalone or your DAW via computer.
The V-studio is equipped with an Audio instrument input you can connect your MM6 to this via line out to record Audio input within V-studio which you can later transfer to your DAW.

Since the V-studio is a Audio/MIDI record sequencer control surface, I would set this up as a Master MIDI Controller or the opposite could be true, but there are many ways to setup your control surface it a matter of what your trying to do, be it Computer/DAW/V-studio/MM6 you have many option at your disposal.

Oh by the way MIDI does not transmit Audio, some of the things you can control with MIDI is via Master to slave Time codes, Start and Stop, Play, record, transport position, Synchronizing, delete, copy, paste, fader controls, Pan, ETC.

Hope this helps

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ best microphone for wind instruments
Next Topic:

To any Propellerhead users out there!!! ››