mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "playing ipad synth using MX possible"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 08, 2014 @ 12:56 PM
shaneblyth
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-19-2014

I have tried plugging my ipad with the camera lighteing adapter into the usb out of the MX and i dont seem to get either any MIDI oput at the iPad or it doesnt recognise it. I have done this on my Korg Kronos before. So what is the correct setup to get the MIDI passed out of the MX and into a Lightening iPad app. I have lots of synth apps on the iPad and have had them work great with the Kronos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2014 @ 07:58 PM
shaneblyth
Joined  02-19-2014

So no one has tried using an ipad hooked to any sort of midi out on and MX?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2014 @ 09:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have, but I don’t know how, exactly, that would help you. You give us no real information about what you are attempting to do (which App, for eample). Are you asking if the Camera Kit works with the MX? Are you asking is the MX similar to your Korg Kronos? Are you asking does the MX send MIDI out to an iPad?

If you are asking how to get the MX to work with an iPad in general (no specific app in mind) - it is a very broad and unanswerable question. And if you are asking specifically about the Camera kit the answer will depend on what iOS you are running. As some devices no longer connect with iOS 7, your mileage will vary.

I’m using the Yamaha iMX-1 or iUX-1 with an Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter to connect my App (Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer) to my MX. I’m able to select sounds on the MX and trigger it with App using iOS 7. I was able to using the Camera Kit prior to iOS 7, but it stopped working upon updating the iPad

I’m afraid no one is answering your question because it is too broad a question. With the iOS changes causing incompatibilities via the Camera Kit for some devices, it is difficult to speak generally - try being more specific (at this point). The iPad, like a personal computer, is cool - not built specifically with making music in mind - but with the proper versions, diligence in researching connectivity, staying up with what you should and should not update, you can find a way to make some music with it. It’s supposed to be convenient, currently it is a Work In Progress, as far as that goes. IMHO

I am not clear on what changed when the iOS changed to cause the incompatibilities, I am just an observer (musician) noticing what happened - I have asked the question myself. When I find out I’ll certainly pass it on.

Currently MIDI data can be transferred to and from an MX via either an iMX-1 + Lightning adapter or an iUX-1 + Lightning adapter.

The iMX-1 connects to the 5-pin MIDI jacks of the MX
The iUX-1 connects to the “TO HOST” USB port of the MX

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2014 @ 10:03 PM
shaneblyth
Joined  02-19-2014

My question I thought was simple enough sorry if it was confusing but I said basically, So what is the correct setup to get the MIDI passed out of the MX and into a Lightening iPad app?  I can plug in any external controller keyboard into the camera kit and it instantly passes midi to any ipad app. No setup no adjustments required. But plugging in the mx it doesn’t work. My setup is latest iPad mini with latest ios 7.x. As I have said I have dozens of synth apps And any of my keyboard controllers rangeing from my Kronos to various mini keyboards such as a cheap I control 61 key midi controller keyboard to my 25 mini key QuNexus from Keith McMillan they just plug in and are powered by the ipad and bang a key on the keyboard and your playing music from the ipad.  It doesn’t seem in that case that the MX is a class compliant midi device as all these controllers are and require no driver or setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2014 @ 04:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

True. The MX is not like other keyboards you have tried. It features its own built-in audio and MIDI computer interface (and it is this that suddenly seems to make the difference) - as most musicians are using computers (not iPads) currently so connecting to a proper computer is facilitated without jumping through extra “fruit loops"… seems with an iPad the “feature” that allows you to easily connect to a computer, becomes a stumbling block when connecting to a tablet…

Most consumer level Yamaha keyboards would work as class compliant controllers, however, not those that support their own MIDI and audio interfaces apparently, as with iOS 7 Apple has caused/chosen to prevent them from working… if you have not updated to iOS 7 you can still probably use your Camera kit connection.

If however, you’re iOS 7 then you will need an iMX-1 or iUX-1 connector and Apple Lightning adapter to use the MX49/MX61, not the camera kit, as far as I know. Sorry, that’s all I know currently. As I learn more about what is at issue, I’ll pass it on.

The Camera Kit I’m sure was developed for devices other than musical instrument (or it would have a different name). In developing musical hardware Yamaha strives to make it useful for the most musicians in the use case most in demand. The hiccups with tablets I would guess is just growing pains of the media. Cameras I’m sure work seamlessly through this connection, but devices that have multiple protocol going over USB (as in both MIDI and audio) seem to have stopped working as of the most recent update.

In an attempt to learn more, can I ask, do any of the working devices also act as their own MIDI and audio interfaces via USB when connected to a computer? (I can only address what I have observed with Yamaha MP synthesizers many of which do have this capability).

The Camera Kit will work in iOS 7 with the Motif XF series of keyboards (you mention it works with your Korg Kronos, the Motif XF would be on par with the Kronos. I do not doubt this is working with the Kronos - It works with the Motif XF as well. The Motif XF does not do MIDI and AUDIO via USB either, just like the Kronos and therefore probably still works with your iPad App)

But the Yamaha MX, the MOX, the MOXF all do both MIDI and AUDIO via USB, and all worked previously with it in iOS6, is iOS 7 specifically, that has suddenly changed things. Do you have any other devices that are apples to apples (no pun intended) with the MOXF? That is, one that does do both MIDI and AUDIO via USB? I’m trying to see if some conclusions can be made using a wider assortment of products, than what I have here to test. Thanks.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2014 @ 06:55 AM
shaneblyth
Joined  02-19-2014

All the midi controllers I use are class compliant devise and only use midi and not audio, except the Kronos which has Midi and audio via USB. With the Kronos you simply plug the camera connection kit into the USB port and it works as an in and out for midi and also passes the audio from the ipad.directly into the Kronos and can be directed out of the Kronos so you don’t even need to use the earbuds plug out of the ipad. That’s all I know sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2014 @ 12:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

That is helpful. Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 10:36 AM
yam44
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-18-2014

Hi Bad_Mister and everyone,

I’m a reader of Motifator’s forum for many years, but this is my first post here.
(Moliere’s language is mine too, so please excuse my french ;)

My question is quite simple (but not the answer, I suppose ?) :
It seems that the Korg audio/midi interface passes thru the IOS7 filter/bug with a CCK, so why is the interface of Yamaha MX not even detected ?
Any idea ?
Could it be an effect of the new privacy/microphone settings in IOS7 ?

Can we hope a MX’s firmware update to fix that frustrating issue ?
Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 01:52 PM
shaneblyth
Joined  02-19-2014
yam44 - 18 March 2014 10:36 AM

Hi Bad_Mister and everyone,

I’m a reader of Motifator’s forum for many years, but this is my first post here.
(Moliere’s language is mine too, so please excuse my french ;)

My question is quite simple (but not the answer, I suppose ?) :
It seems that the Korg audio/midi interface passes thru the IOS7 filter/bug with a CCK, so why is the interface of Yamaha MX not even detected ?
Any idea ?
Could it be an effect of the new privacy/microphone settings in IOS7 ?

Can we hope a MX’s firmware update to fix that frustrating issue ?
Thanks.

What what I can gather it seems for some reason that the Kronos USB is what’s called class compliant but the MX is not. Please also not the huge price difference between the Kronos and the MX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2014 @ 04:17 PM
yam44
Joined  03-18-2014

Sorry shaneblyth, I may be wrong but to me, the MX soundcard obviously IS a class compliant device.
If it is not, how do you explain that it’s fully fonctional ( audio and midi) on an ipad runing ios 6 and connected with the apple camera adapter ?
This is not a CC Issue, and the price difference has nothing to do with that story.

May be it’a a bug in the MX firmware, revelated by the new ios 7 detection routine ?

I don’t think I will purchase the MX if nothing is done to fix this....

@badmister, an answer would be much apreciated.
Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2014 @ 06:01 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

I think I’d lose the camera connector and get the correct device. Seems easy enough.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2014 @ 11:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Like you, we are waiting to hear from Apple - they are aware but do not announce when they will release something to fix things. As they say “Top people are working on it....” Who? You ask… “Top people”.

The firmware of the MOX, MOXF nor the MX changed, it was iOS 7...once they discovered it was broken, they will fix it, when? Unfortunately they don’t announce when they are going to release fixes prior to fixing them, just stay tuned.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2014 @ 01:30 AM
yam44
Joined  03-18-2014

Stoneb3, are they those imx1 , umx1, that you call ‘correct device’ ?
In my opinion, they are obsolete, and, as midi devices, they won’t fix any audio issue, am I right ? So I should pay an extra for this, and I should pay another audio interface too ?
That’s a lot of money and stuff to bring out and connect.
My ipad mini and the MX are (or should be) both correct devices, they are only 1 year old.
I’d like to use the same easy to use direct USB cable, like people do with their older ipads, mac or pc.
Do I ask too much ?

The MX HAS its own audio midi interface, right. Why is it so unstable ?

The firmware of the MOX, MOXF nor the MX changed

Since many other midi and audio devices are working well with ios7,
Maybe it’s time for yamaha devs to look for a fix in their own firmwares/drivers.
Are they aware of this ? Could you please transmit them our request ?
They will possibly fix it easily :)

Yamaha devs has done a very good job with ‘Mobile Seq’ app.
This app has been made to control Yamaha keyboards like the MX, XS, XF, ...
But....
This is not a free app (16€, and quite more expensive when you buy the whole in-apps purchases) and it’s not working anymore ! Do we have to look for another 50€ app ?
Imx and umx things cost 60-80€, right ? And how much for a new audio interface ?
That’s a lot of money !
Do we have to say “ok, no problem, thank you, I love obsolescence, i’m a happy consumer now, ‘cause I was born to pay more and more, and you made it real. Thank you very much, Yamaha, Apple and all the World Companies.”

Imho, Yamaha devs can’t wait for ‘top people’ apple devs to make the job. That’s not serious.
I hope they’re working with them on it.

Sorry for the long message. Of course I have nothing personal against people in this forum.
Thanks to read me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2014 @ 05:57 AM
yam44
Joined  03-18-2014

There is another discussion here about this specific issue with yamaha synths.
(Translated from german)
I don’ t speak german and the translation is very aproximative, so I’m not sure I get everything, particularly the last posts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2014 @ 02:10 PM
YorkshireLakeside
Total Posts:  46
Joined  06-15-2013
yam44 - 28 March 2014 05:57 AM

There is another discussion here about this specific issue with yamaha synths.
(Translated from german)
I don’ t speak german and the translation is very aproximative, so I’m not sure I get everything, particularly the last posts.

I’ve been reading the updates for the iPad - I’ve not got an iPad but I can understand your frustration when simple things should just work.

Most of the time it is the lack of information from these big companies that really get at people and I think it is time that they are more “transparent” about these issues - we understand that problems occur but it would be nice to have somewhere which displayed these updates or actually tells us where to keep an eye out.

I get numerous emails from people on the Community Facebook page ‘YamahaMx49Mx61’ regarding the iPad and it’s clear to me that this is what people want to use - I just wish I could give them some hope.

On the other hand I purchased the MX49 knowing that it would work on Cubase AI6 on either a Mac or PC so I am happy about this - if it worked on the iPad I would see this only as a bonus… but not really able to demand that it should work.

Will there be drivers for Cubasis 1.8????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2014 @ 04:26 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

All Yamaha Music Production drivers are found at the official Yamaha download site:
http://download.yamaha.com

All Steinberg updates are found at the official Steinberg site:
http://steinberg.net

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ What are ASSIGNABLE FUNCTION 1 and 2 on the MX61
Next Topic:

Bees Knees for MX 61 ››