mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Song to my DAW"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 09:46 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys,

I’m sure I’ve previously been told how to do so, but please walk me through the steps of how I transfer/Record all the Tracks of my Song to my DAW.

I’m still not sure of how you transfer, say 8 Tracks, when the usb interface will only output two stereo pairs total at a time.

I’m also unsure of the transfer/Record process being synced, as one or two of the Tracks have an ARP going on as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 10:59 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
jerrydpi - 03 March 2014 09:46 AM

Hi guys,

I’m sure I’ve previously been told how to do so, but please walk me through the steps of how I transfer/Record all the Tracks of my Song to my DAW.

I’m still not sure of how you transfer, say 8 Tracks, when the usb interface will only output two stereo pairs total at a time.

I’m also unsure of the transfer/Record process being synced, as one or two of the Tracks have an ARP going on as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

You know, Jerry, you keep asking these same questions. We’re kind of not in the free
consultation business, and I think you’re running close to exceeding your free time
allotment.

I honestly have to ask you why, if you want to get things into Logic, that you don’t
sequence in Logic itself, and just use the Mo XF as a sound source?

You can even record the arpeggiated voices by setting Logic to the same tempo as the
arps, and then simply turn the metronome on in Logic, and press a key at the appropriate
time to record an event press which will trigger the Mo XF and then you record THAT in
as an audio track.

I happen to use Digital Performer as my main DAW, but my process has always been the
same - my hardware keyboards (including the Motifs) are just connected as sound generators. My DAW is where I do all the sequencing...because that’s where the audio
is going to end up anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 12:33 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

You know, Jerry, you keep asking these same questions. We’re kind of not in the free
consultation business, and I think you’re running close to exceeding your free time
allotment.

Jeez Dave, that’s approaching rude and I would have never thought you to be rude.

This is a free Yamaha Forum and any of us Members should be allowed to ask any question we want.

Dave, everything in life does not revolve around making a dollar :)

FYI, I take 100% responsibility for asking the same questions and it’s true I do ask them too many times.

It is 100% my fault that I keep changing Yamaha keyboards and never learn how to use them to their full advantage, but as I don’t have a lot of spare time to pursue my true dream, for the little time I do have I try to devote it to writing original songs (much easier than learning the technology, btw), so that’s why I can’t easily remember the answers all you Forum Members have graciously given me.

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 12:41 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I honestly have to ask you why, if you want to get things into Logic, that you don’t sequence in Logic itself, and just use the Mo XF as a sound source?

Dave,

Is there a book somewhere that will teach me how to sequence directly into Logic?

I’m struggling (for now) in just sequencing into the MOXF :)

To answer your question, Bad_Mister thought it would be better/easier for me to use the Yamaha Sequencer.

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 02:16 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

TBH Jerry I have noticed it as well.

All you need to do is a search on your name for all your posts (and questions) and all these “new” questions you are asking you may find have already been answered.

Or get into the habit that I do, which is when I get answers to my questions that are involved, require a mini-tutorial to answer, or are answers that I know I won’t remember, I do a cut and paste to a “Tips” text file I keep in my MOXF data folder on the PC.

I don’t think Dave is being rude, he is making an observation that you do tend to ask the same questions (in different ways, and on different threads) often. I think nothing would be more annoying for someone trying to assist to keep finding the need to re-answer questions either over and over, or on several different threads, ALL with the same intent.

Anyway, Dave is a good guy who helps a lot of folks, and perhaps he is just frustrated with a poster getting answers but seemingly paying no attention to them...I know I have suggested the exact same to you - sequence everything in a DAW sequencer using the MOXF/Motif as a sound source only.

And now you are asking for help on using Logic?? Go to the Logic forum and ask there is my suggestion.

Not trying to be nasty as you do seem a nice guy, but c’mon - just go back and re-read ALL the replies you have been given on this, do some thinking and working out on your own armed with that information, and you truly will be “good to go”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 02:18 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
jerrydpi - 03 March 2014 12:41 PM

I honestly have to ask you why, if you want to get things into Logic, that you don’t sequence in Logic itself, and just use the Mo XF as a sound source?

Dave,

Is there a book somewhere that will teach me how to sequence directly into Logic?

I’m struggling (for now) in just sequencing into the MOXF :)

To answer your question, Bad_Mister thought it would be better/easier for me to use the Yamaha Sequencer.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sure. Do an internet search for “Logic tutorials”.
There’s a boatload of YouTube videos on
using Logic (as well as every other major
DAW).

My answer to you could have been interpreted
as rude, sure. It was kind of meant to because
here’s the thing...I think you’re perfectly
capable of learning how to use your gear
and software. You can do it. But rather than
spending any more valuable free time
posting the same questions here (and
this is not a Logic forum), you might help
yourself better by simply buckling down
and learning to do it on your own. The
internet is a vast resource..you can get
farther by googling your questions and
finding the links.

Neither I nor Bad Mister nor anyone else
learned music production by just asking
questions. We all at some point sat down
in front of the gear and..well, figured it
out, on our own. Because you learn best
by doing, not asking.

I’ve had people ask me a lot about programming.
At a certain point, I usually tell them, “Dude,
turn on your stuff, grab some coffee, and
have at it. You’ll get it.” And you know what?
They always do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 02:54 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

And now you are asking for help on using Logic?? Go to the Logic forum and ask there is my suggestion.

Not trying to be nasty as you do seem a nice guy, but c’mon - just go back and re-read ALL the replies you have been given on this, do some thinking and working out on your own armed with that information, and you truly will be “good to go”.

Dennis,

1) I was asking what to do from the MOXF end.
2) I’ll do as you suggest :)

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 01:04 AM
wizardgraphics
Total Posts:  171
Joined  01-15-2012
jerrydpi - 03 March 2014 09:46 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Jerry

There is a new keyboard that is supposed to hit the market within a week or two. It is the Roland FA-06/08. This keyboard will allow you to export what is know as stems, so if you got 16 tracks in a song or pattern you can export 16 “.wav” files to an SD card and transfer that into your DAW. One shot. Cool.

But, since this is a Yamaha forum. Here is the answer. You can’t do that with a MOXF. You can transfer 8 tracks if I am not mistaken on a Motif XF using the FW16E card which I found to be extremely hard to setup and use, even with cubase.

Now, how can you get your sequenced 8 tracks to your DAW (in audio format of course)? You gonna have to record to 8 tracks in your DAW, 8 times, in real time. The MOXF is set to sync via USB midi (auto by default) and your DAW can be configured to send out its clock data to control the playback of your tracks. I believe this would be the only way. That is if you would like to use the sequencer in the MOXF and not the one in your DAW.

Personally, I find Ableton Live and its session mode very powerful and easy to use and matches the pattern mode in the MOXF and motif and surpasses it by giving you DAW easy controls. I do most of my sequencing there and I only use the pattern mode in the MOXF to lay down new ideas. Then once I get them figured out. I use the USB audio interface to record audio into Ableton Live and loop that if I need to. It is much easier for me this way.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 09:13 AM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

As has been discussed in other threads wizard, it is not an 8 step process necessarily.

Using the USB outs 1&2;and 3&4;you can get 4 tracks at once by panning

USB 1 = L USB2 R USB 3 = L USB = R

However as has also been suggested (but not apparently tried by the OP) is to do all the sequencing in a DAW and using the MOXF only as a sound module. Rather than trying to go through all the hoops he is (apparently still) going through.

It is very easy to record say, the 4 parts of a performance this way, not to mention really quick!

You can also do the same in Song mode, albeit restricted to 4 tracks at once.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 09:26 AM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012
miden - 05 March 2014 09:13 AM

As has been discussed in other threads wizard, it is not an 8 step process necessarily.

Using the USB outs 1&2;and 3&4;you can get 4 tracks at once by panning

USB 1 = L USB2 R USB 3 = L USB = R

Oh thanks miden. Yes you are right. I have never tried that. What about stereo vs mono?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 10:21 AM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

I personally find recording into a DAW is better in mono. For one thing as the audio is to be edited mixed and produced (I assume) in the DAW environment, then the tracks need to be as “clean” (as in no effects, no compressing, no anything really- apart form notes of course LOL) as possible, imo.

One can always create a stereo track within the daw for the purposes of some effects that NEED stereo.

I personally record tracks in mono, but then I mix down to mono/stereo buses and a full stereo mains.

Not saying that is how everyone should work, just what I do. Plus it opens up working shortcuts, for EG this one - getting 4 tracks of audio from the MOXF at one pass.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 03:51 PM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012
miden - 05 March 2014 10:21 AM

I personally find recording into a DAW is better in mono. For one thing as the audio is to be edited mixed and produced (I assume) in the DAW environment, then the tracks need to be as “clean” (as in no effects, no compressing, no anything really- apart form notes of course LOL) as possible, imo.

One can always create a stereo track within the daw for the purposes of some effects that NEED stereo.

I personally record tracks in mono, but then I mix down to mono/stereo buses and a full stereo mains.

Not saying that is how everyone should work, just what I do. Plus it opens up working shortcuts, for EG this one - getting 4 tracks of audio from the MOXF at one pass.

That is indeed a smart and professional way of doing things.

But, isn’t a piano sample for example in the motif or MOXF recorded in stereo? Aren’t you losing something this way? What about rotary speaker for an organ sound? I can settle for 2 tacks at a time :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 05:08 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

No the MOXF sums quite well to mono via the main L/Mono out. The pianos sound fine.

Might interest you to know that the original Leslie Speaker system WAS mono ;-)

It had a rotating “blade” over the speaker cone to give that distinctive sound. Personally, rotary works just as good in mono for me :-) as always your personal preferences may have a different conclusion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 05:10 PM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012
miden - 05 March 2014 05:08 PM

No the MOXF sums quite well to mono via the main L/Mono out. The pianos sound fine.

Might interest you to know that the original Leslie Speaker system WAS mono ;-)

It had a rotating “blade” over the speaker cone to give that distinctive sound. Personally, rotary works just as good in mono for me :-) as always your personal preferences may have a different conclusion.

That is indeed interesting. I am now intrigued to map 4 tracks to my USB ports and see how my workflow would progress. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 05:28 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Good move I reckon wizard!..I do not use the MOXF Pattern or Song modes for anything other than playing back midi data from my DAW, or smf backing tracks from the iPad.

Suffice it to say that that should give you an idea of what I think of it...Although to be fair, most keyboard based sequencers are at about the same level for me ;-)

The 4 track USB system reminds of my days with the Tascam...except better :-D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 05:41 PM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012
miden - 05 March 2014 05:28 PM

Good move I reckon wizard!..I do not use the MOXF Pattern or Song modes for anything other than playing back midi data from my DAW, or smf backing tracks from the iPad.

Suffice it to say that that should give you an idea of what I think of it...Although to be fair, most keyboard based sequencers are at about the same level for me ;-)

The 4 track USB system reminds of my days with the Tascam...except better :-D

Yeah, I wish I could do that, but, as you have seen in that other Arp tutorial request post that you started. I am having trouble getting the most simple midi data out of my DAW (Live) to the MOXF. Still can’t figure it out. I posted that midi file there in case you are interested to look at it. Thanks.

To me the Motif line sequencers in pattern mode are very good as scratch pads for ideas. I do a lot of solo piano compositions and that really helps as I am figuring out my different parts for the song.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2