mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Kontakt to MOXF? (Scarbee Rhodes and Motif Creator)"

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 04:01 AM
lotsakeys
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-03-2014

Hello
new to the forum
I’ve got a few questions about Kontakt libraries and the MOXF.

I understand that the Motif Creator software converts Kontakt files to Motif format.

Does it work well? Is it compatible with the MOXF?
Do all the mappings, velocity switching, release samples work properly?
Does it work with 16bit 32khz files?

I would like to convert the Scarbee Rhodes to use with the MOXF8.
My plan is to convert a reduced size version of the file so that it can fit in the MOXF 1 giga flash memory.
The file is in Kontakt 1.5 or Kontakt 3 format.

I still haven’t bought the keyboard and the software, but I will if it all works out.

Thank You!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 04:36 AM
tcamp
Total Posts:  40
Joined  07-10-2006
lotsakeys - 03 March 2014 04:01 AM

Hello
new to the forum
I’ve got a few questions about Kontakt libraries and the MOXF.

I understand that the Motif Creator software converts Kontakt files to Motif format.

Does it work well? Is it compatible with the MOXF?
Do all the mappings, velocity switching, release samples work properly?
Does it work with 16bit 32khz files?

I would like to convert the Scarbee Rhodes to use with the MOXF8.
My plan is to convert a reduced size version of the file so that it can fit in the MOXF 1 giga flash memory.
The file is in Kontakt 1.5 or Kontakt 3 format.

I still haven’t bought the keyboard and the software, but I will if it all works out.

Thank You!

I can’t comment on Motif Creator, but if you don’t mind having a computer tethered via USB, you can run Kontakt virtual instruments (midi out via USB on the MOXF to play Scarbee Rhodes etc., and the audio from Kontakt sent back via USB and plays back through the MOXF).  You can even use master mode to layout a zone on the MOXF that maps to Kontakt and use internal MOXF sounds in parallel.  Works slick but requires a computer in your set up and you don’t compromise the samples to fit in on board flash.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 05:24 AM
lotsakeys
Joined  03-03-2014
tcamp - 03 March 2014 04:36 AM

I can’t comment on Motif Creator, but if you don’t mind having a computer tethered via USB, you can run Kontakt virtual instruments (midi out via USB on the MOXF to play Scarbee Rhodes etc., and the audio from Kontakt sent back via USB and plays back through the MOXF).  You can even use master mode to layout a zone on the MOXF that maps to Kontakt and use internal MOXF sounds in parallel.  Works slick but requires a computer in your set up and you don’t compromise the samples to fit in on board flash.

Thank you for your answer and suggestion.

The point for me though, would be to have the sound in the keyboard, without having to bring the computer to gigs and set it up.

And I already run the reduced size patch in the computer and it still sounds great, can’t really hear a difference live.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 08:58 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
lotsakeys - 03 March 2014 05:24 AM
tcamp - 03 March 2014 04:36 AM

Thank you for your answer and suggestion.

The point for me though, would be to have the sound in the keyboard, without having to bring the computer to gigs and set it up.

And I already run the reduced size patch in the computer and it still sounds great, can’t really hear a difference live.

This question has been asked many times over the past years.

You are not understanding a basic thing. The size of the Kontakt instruments, even at
“reduced” would be more than even your flashboard can accommodate. Plus, you would
have to load the waveform layers from the Kontakt instrument separately and know
how to map them. That is something you cannot do on the Mo XF itself. You have to
have a waveform editor to do it, AND you’d have to first look at the sample mapping in
Kontakt itself, make notes, and attempt to map things like that using the waveform
editor.

Frankly, my response has always been, forget about getting Kontakt instruments into
your Motif. Just continue to use the Scarbee Rhodes inside Kontakt, if you really need
to.

This also brings up an interesting point - compare the Scarbee Rhodes to the Mo XF
Rhodes sounds. The Scarbee Rhodes really isn’t very good - seriously. Honestly, the
Rhodes samples in the Mo XF are better, and the Mo XF voice architecture allows you
to have separate key-off elements, which you don’t have available in the Scarbee
Rhodes.

If you’re looking for new Rhodes sounds for your Mo XF, check this library out -
doesn’t even require a flashboard:

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/moxf/vintage-keys-voice-bank-for-yamaha-motif-mo-x.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 09:53 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Honestly I don’t understand this burning desire of having Scarbee Rhodes timbres inside a Motif.
There are exceptional electric piano Voices already on Motif XF ROM to satisfy all the most demanding players.

The most important thing, after all, is playing and develop new and fresh ideas. If your ideas are “linked” to a particular sound, what you’d do if one day you miss that sound?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 10:25 AM
lotsakeys
Joined  03-03-2014
DavePolich - 03 March 2014 08:58 AM

This question has been asked many times over the past years.

You are not understanding a basic thing. The size of the Kontakt instruments, even at
“reduced” would be more than even your flashboard can accommodate. Plus, you would
have to load the waveform layers from the Kontakt instrument separately and know
how to map them. That is something you cannot do on the Mo XF itself. You have to
have a waveform editor to do it, AND you’d have to first look at the sample mapping in
Kontakt itself, make notes, and attempt to map things like that using the waveform
editor.

Frankly, my response has always been, forget about getting Kontakt instruments into
your Motif. Just continue to use the Scarbee Rhodes inside Kontakt, if you really need
to.

This also brings up an interesting point - compare the Scarbee Rhodes to the Mo XF
Rhodes sounds. The Scarbee Rhodes really isn’t very good - seriously. Honestly, the
Rhodes samples in the Mo XF are better, and the Mo XF voice architecture allows you
to have separate key-off elements, which you don’t have available in the Scarbee
Rhodes.

If you’re looking for new Rhodes sounds for your Mo XF, check this library out -
doesn’t even require a flashboard:

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/moxf/vintage-keys-voice-bank-for-yamaha-motif-mo-x.html

I set up a Scarbee patch that is about 600 megs, and, if I understand correctly, the MOXF can accomodate up 1 gigabyte, so, it should definitely fit.

The Scarbee Rhodes does have keyoff samples, or release samples, if that’s what you mean.

The reason I am asking the question is that the Motif creator software is advertised as converting Kontakt instruments to Motif format, and I wanted to know if anyone knows how well it works.

Naturally, tastes are subjective, and for my personal taste, the Scarbee Rhodes is superior to the Motif Rhodes.
Again, it’s not an absolute fact, I just like the way it sounds and responds to dynamics, and find it playable and inspiring.

Thank you for the suggestion, I checked the link you suggested and the Rhodes seems to sound ok, although it has a little too much bell for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 10:29 AM
lotsakeys
Joined  03-03-2014
digitalperformer7 - 03 March 2014 09:53 AM

Honestly I don’t understand this burning desire of having Scarbee Rhodes timbres inside a Motif.
There are exceptional electric piano Voices already on Motif XF ROM to satisfy all the most demanding players.

The most important thing, after all, is playing and develop new and fresh ideas. If your ideas are “linked” to a particular sound, what you’d do if one day you miss that sound?

I totally agree, and I don’t depend on any particular sound in any way.

In fact, being lazy, I never drag the computer out at all, and I use other stuff, but the idea of having my favorite Rhodes sample in hardware is pretty exciting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 10:53 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
lotsakeys - 03 March 2014 10:29 AM
digitalperformer7 - 03 March 2014 09:53 AM

I totally agree, and I don’t depend on any particular sound in any way.

In fact, being lazy, I never drag the computer out at all, and I use other stuff, but the idea of having my favorite Rhodes sample in hardware is pretty exciting.

Well, then, feel free to try. Be prepared to get very frustrated, that’s all I can tell you.

Yes, we disagree on the Scarbee Rhodes. Years ago, it was thought to be the shizzle.
Fast forward to 2014, not so much shizzle. The Rhodes offerings from
Gospel Musicians and Sonic Couture have surpassed it by miles. That, and I always thought the Motif Rhodes has been better than Scarbee, even from the very beginning.

You should check out “Chick’s Mark V” Rhodes library as well. That is a unique and
very cool Rhodes library that will fit on your flashboard (taking up less space than
your proposed Scarbee conversion).

By the way, I programmed the “Vintage Keys” library and happen to prefer bell-like Rhodes sounds, but the demos don’t cover all 32 Rhodes sounds in that library. There are several that are of the more “mid-range bark” variety.

I digress, though. By all means, see if you can get the Scarbee converted for your Mo XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 01:13 PM
lotsakeys
Joined  03-03-2014

I tried the GospelMusicians and, while I do like it, I still prefer Scarbee. Oh well.

The main point, though, is that there are many really good sounding Rhodes options for the MOXF, which are way better then what I’m using now, so I think I’ll get the Keyboard anyway, Scarbee or not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 02:20 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

+1 on ditching Scarbee - one of the worst EP vsti’s around (imo)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2014 @ 12:21 PM
Maxwell2_18
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-24-2014

Just loaded the Chick Corea Mark V library yesterday. After figuring out getting the USR bank set right and remapping the samples in the Voice parts, I now have the best Rhodes I have ever heard or played in a digital keyboard. I have the Scarbee VST. The Chick library kills it!

[ Ignore ]