mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I just Sequenced my first entire Song"

Posted on: March 02, 2014 @ 10:57 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Well boys I did it and it is pretty cool (just like Bad_Mister said it would be) :)

I used the Song Mode because at this point it felt a little easier to me to play the entire original song from beginning to end.

I have a few preliminary questions for tonight now that I have saved the Song.

1) Can I go into the Song and swap out some of the Voices.
2) Can I change the Tempo of the Song?
3) Can I transpose the key of the Song?
4) If so, can any of you send me some toilet paper :) ?

Also, when I’m playing along (with a Piano) on Track 6, I could have sworn I heard some notes cutting off. Is that possible?

I’ll ask my next questions about transferring the Song to my DAW at a later time.

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2014 @ 11:08 PM
wizardgraphics
Total Posts:  171
Joined  01-15-2012
jerrydpi - 02 March 2014 10:57 PM

I have a few preliminary questions for tonight now that I have saved the Song.

1) Can I go into the Song and swap out some of the Voices.
2) Can I change the Tempo of the Song?
3) Can I transpose the key of the Song?
4) If so, can any of you send me some toilet paper :) ?

Jerry

1) Yes
2) Sure
3) Of course
4) No :) Buy your own.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2014 @ 11:14 PM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012
jerrydpi - 02 March 2014 10:57 PM

Also, when I’m playing along (with a Piano) on Track 6, I could have sworn I heard some notes cutting off. Is that possible?

Jerry

Not sure about how many voices and effects you are layering here so you be the judge regarding your polyphony. Sustain pedal all the time can occupy your 128 voices very quickly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2014 @ 05:32 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012
wizardgraphics - 02 March 2014 11:14 PM

Not sure about how many voices and effects you are layering here so you be the judge regarding your polyphony. Sustain pedal all the time can occupy your 128 voices very quickly.

Well, I don’t use the Sustain Pedal all the time ( :) ), but the Song does have an EP layered Pad as one of the Tracks and I’m sure I used the Sustain Pedal occasionally on it.

Plus, most of my chords are 4 to five notes on my right hand.

So that being said, I’m sure that when I’m playing along with the main Piano part that I’m using sustain at probably the same sections.

Thanks!

Jerry

PS
What’s your first name?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2014 @ 03:46 AM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

Wizard, perhaps you can elaborate just a little on how to change these things in a recorded song as Jerry asked about.  I have not figuered out how to change a tempo or transpose an already-recorded song that I have made.  The transpose and tempo functions do not work for me after a song has already been recorded.  Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2014 @ 04:13 AM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012
Jeff R 50 - 04 March 2014 03:46 AM

Wizard, perhaps you can elaborate just a little on how to change these things in a recorded song as Jerry asked about.  I have not figuered out how to change a tempo or transpose an already-recorded song that I have made.  The transpose and tempo functions do not work for me after a song has already been recorded.  Thank you.

Hello, regarding transposition you can transpose in two ways.

First, you can transpose the whole song in play mode (in semitones to +32 or -32) See the screen capture below. Check reference manual on page: 76 (MOX ref manual). Please note that the physical transpose and octave buttons on the front panel do not work with recorded notes. These transpose and shift the keys for what you gonna play. Use the display option to transpose during play instead as mentioned above.

Second, you can dive into the (Song job > F2:Note) and actually transpose notes and change them after they have been recorded and that change will be permanent and not just during play. The MOXF and Motif lines have very powerful sequencers, the best in any workstation. You can check how to do that in details for certain tracks or measures in the reference manual on page: 89 (MOX ref manual)

As for tempo change of the whole song, simply during playback you can use the knob for that and it just works. I am not sure yet how to save that changed tempo or if you can save it at all if this is what you are after. But, I do know that you can edit a tempo track with changing tempos throughout the song. To do this check page 84 of the reference manual. It is under song > Edit > F4 Tr Sel

I hope this helps.

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 6.53.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-04 at 6.51.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-04 at 6.51.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.07.40 AM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2014 @ 05:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

From your SONG, press [EDIT]
Press [F4] TRACK SEL (Track Select), this is a three-way toggle between the numbered TRACKS, the SCENE TRACK and the TEMPO TRACK. Press it until the TEMPO Track is selected (the track type will appear in the upper right corner).
The first event in the TEMPO Track is your SONG’s documented tempo - this represents the TEMPO used to record your SONG, if you wish to change it, simply edit the event and press {STORE] to update your SEQUENCER and MIX settings.

Other Tempo Change functions are covered here:

Tempo Change article

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 09:12 AM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

Thank you Bad Mister and Wizard for explaining that to me.  Not sure why I couldn’t figure that one out myself… you made it sound so easy.  I think it must be from lack of sleep, I work the midnight shift and don’t sleep much… yeah, that’s it : )

Always appreciate the help on this Forum.  I would be lost without it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2014 @ 09:42 AM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012
Jeff R 50 - 05 March 2014 09:12 AM

Thank you Bad Mister and Wizard for explaining that to me.  Not sure why I couldn’t figure that one out myself… you made it sound so easy.  I think it must be from lack of sleep, I work the midnight shift and don’t sleep much… yeah, that’s it : )

Always appreciate the help on this Forum.  I would be lost without it.

You are so welcome Jeff, my wife works night shifts. I know how that is like.

[ Ignore ]