mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Q: Is the Motif XF8 flight friendly? i.e. “as checked baggage in hard-shell case”?"

Posted on: February 26, 2014 @ 09:06 PM
wizardgraphics
Total Posts:  171
Joined  01-15-2012

Hi guys, I am planning on buying a Motif XF8 and taking it overseas on a flight. This board is the heaviest that I have seen at 64 lb. It is huge too. If I get the Gator or the SKB TSA case for that which is an additional 33 lb.

The Question is: Is the Motif XF8 in a hard shell case with so much weight flight friendly as a checked baggage? Does anybody have any experience that he would like to share? I am sure there has to be a lot of musicians who had to travel with it here. Thanks a lot in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2014 @ 10:12 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
wizardgraphics - 26 February 2014 09:06 PM

Hi guys, I am planning on buying a Motif XF8 and taking it overseas on a flight. This board is the heaviest that I have seen at 64 lb. It is huge too. If I get the Gator or the SKB TSA case for that which is an additional 33 lb.

The Question is: Is the Motif XF8 in a hard shell case with so much weight flight friendly as a checked baggage? Does anybody have any experience that he would like to share? I am sure there has to be a lot of musicians who had to travel with it here. Thanks a lot in advance.

Answer is no. You won’t be able to travel with it as “normal” checked baggage at that weight. You’ll either have to ship it ahead via cargo carrier, or check it in as overweight
baggage at a premium charge...if the airline you’ve chosen allows that. Some do, others
don’t.

Why are you taking it overseas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2014 @ 10:17 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

While I cannot answer your question directly, since I have not taken my XF on board an aircraft, I personally would be very hesitant to do so in any case, even if others have done this and had no problems.  It clearly will not fit in an overhead bin or under the seat, and baggage handlers can be extremely rough on checked baggage.

As an alternative, I would suggest looking into renting an XF, and take along your flash memory board(s) if you have one and are planning on using it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2014 @ 10:17 PM
wizardgraphics
Total Posts:  171
Joined  01-15-2012
DavePolich - 26 February 2014 10:12 PM
wizardgraphics - 26 February 2014 09:06 PM

Answer is no. You won’t be able to travel with it as “normal” checked baggage at that weight. You’ll either have to ship it ahead via cargo carrier, or check it in as overweight
baggage at a premium charge...if the airline you’ve chosen allows that. Some do, others
don’t.

Why are you taking it overseas?

Been living here in the US for quite some years and have to move back to Egypt for a while before moving again probably back here. So I am looking at 2 or 3 trips with my Motif. I can’t part with it.

I understand that it has to be checked in as both oversize and overweight baggage for $$$. I was hoping that people here could share their experiences and successes or fails with various airlines. Anybody with stories?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ SOLVED: Performance creation in XF vs MOXF
Next Topic:

fsx action ››