mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Found my “go to” piano.."

Posted on: February 26, 2014 @ 04:58 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

I think I have found my fav acoustic piano set for the MOXF, and it is free..The CP1 Piano set

Thanks to 5Pin and BM for the links. Folks, do yourself a favour and at least try these..I think they are terrific!

http://download.yamaha.com/file/60662

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 08:09 AM
chmoxf8
Total Posts:  42
Joined  01-20-2014

I am also searching for a ‘go to’ piano.  I tried loading the CP1 from the Motif Premium Collection last night, but I didn’t do it right and spent most of the evening re-installing other sounds that were overwritten. 
I would appreciate some advice on how to do it properly.

Firstly, I have the 512MB Flash module installed.  It currently has 388MB used up.
1. Will I have adequate memory to install the CP1 on the Flash module?
2. I have already installed some organ voices that have filled up User 1. I don’t have anything in Users 2 or Users 3 that I would consider essential, so I would like to install the CP1 piano voices in either of those User Banks.

Please let me know the commands that I need to install the CP1 data into the MOXF8.  For example, which TYPE do I use, and which User Bank will the files originate from. I have the CP1 file loaded into a USB thumb drive.

I currently am using a single Roland KC350 as my amp for the keyboard. I don’t particularly want to buy another one so that I can obtain stereo sound, but I would also appreciate any advice regarding how to optimize the piano sounds. For example, should I have my output to the speaker set up as mono or stereo. I have played on a grand piano for many years and although I may not be able to match it’s sound, I want to get a lot closer than what I am currently hearing.

I realize that tweaking the existing piano sounds will probably help a lot, but I am not entirely sure how to approach that problem either.  What are the commands and areas within the voice that I should focus on, and how do I save those settings?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 08:28 AM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

The Cp1 pianos occupy the first 16 slots of USER 2 on the X3A file.

It is about 60mb in size so you should b e fine.

Th 16 CP1 pianos are in USR 2 (first 16 slots) of the X3A file. If you want to load the entire bank choose 1BANKVOICE, selecting USR 2 on the right(from the USB device) going to USR 2 on the left (the MOXF banks). Also ensure the WithWaveform box is checked. It will appear when you use the cursor on the right to go to the CP1~.X3A file. When the CP1 file is highlighted press Enter and this will then display the banks, cursor down til Usr 2 is highlighted then cursor back to the left side of the screen and ensure Usr 2 is selected....press EXEC (sf1)

If you want to do it voice by voice, almost the same as above, except you select VOICE and not 1BANKVOICE...this time when CP1 is higlighted (double check WithWaveform is selected - although it is the default so it should always be checked) , you press enter, go to USR 2, press enter again and this will then display the individual patches...select one then cursor back to the left to the MOXF storage slots, and the choose anywhere on the three usr banks to store the sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 08:57 AM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

That’s great.  I will give it a try tonight.  I don’t know what I did wrong last night, but I will hope for the best. 

Is there any specific CP1 voice that you would recommend as your favorite?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 09:22 AM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Not really, I can find a use for all of them. The first three Grand Light and Rock are good, imo...and the Unison is really cool for playing that “Beer Hall” type music for earlier last century.

I have not had a chance to “tweak” them yet, but as time goes on I will do this to get them as close to how I want them.

As with most hardware based pianos, the sustain times tend to be a little too short and drop off in intensity too quickly, but these are not too bad.

Still nothing on software based VSTi pianos, but one cannot have everything hey ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 09:42 AM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

I have never done any tweaking on the piano voices, or any other voices for that matter.  I am new to keyboarding and I would like to learn what to do.  Any pointers for me, especially regarding modifying piano voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 10:55 AM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Not really as I don’t get in to specifics as each person hears things differently.

And such instruction is way beyond the scope of this forum. There are plenty of resources online so do a search and you will find copious amounts of data :-)

As a primer (very short!) Just have a play around with EQ settings (primarily - and probs the quickest and easiest way to “tailor” a sound) , velocity settings and some of the AMP and EG settings..have a look from page 31 onwards of the Reference Manual which explains it in detail.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 11:21 AM
lastfermata
Total Posts:  54
Joined  01-20-2012

Actually, it’s not beyond the scope of this forum at all. :-) Here’s an excellent support article for customizing piano voices:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/learning_to_customize_a_piano_sound

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 11:28 AM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

hmmm...strictly speaking that is NOT part of the forum ;-) and that is what I meant.

The forum (IMO) is not really the place for extremely long and detailed tutorials like that.

A good link though - I had forgotten that one. Written for the MOX but the principles are the same - except the MOXF has 8 elements and 8 Ins slots.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 11:49 AM
lastfermata
Total Posts:  54
Joined  01-20-2012

Good point! Here’s the version for the Motif XS, which should be a closer match to the MOXF:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/learning_to_customize_piano_voices_to_your_playing_style

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 12:06 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

Thanks for providing the links.  I am sorry if I violated the protocal of the forum.  I am new to this forum and I am still trying to learn my way around it.  I will spend more time on the Support section in the future before I ask for specific instructions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 12:29 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005
chmoxf8 - 28 February 2014 12:06 PM

.......... I am sorry if I violated the protocal of the forum.  I am new to this forum and I am still trying to learn my way around it.  I will spend more time on the Support section in the future before I ask for specific instructions.

No, not at all :-) All good.

I was just saying that large tutorials are not really suited to any forum layout and operation..just my personal view!

I would suggest though you read the Owners manual first, and then the Reference Manual - they are a hard slog, but if you read them while at your MOXF, it makes it a lot easier to understand what is being said, and you can push buttons and twirl knobs etc as you go.

THEN, start haning out at the support section, and if still no joy use the forum. TBH, being inherently lazy when it comes to this stuff, I tend to jump to the forum first (and I shouldn’t really) but sometimes one is looking for a “quick-fix” of info. A lot of the time I ask the question here, but still research via the manuals and support section…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 04:55 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

I was able to successfully load all of the CP1 sounds into the MOXF8 tonight.  I initially did a 1BankVoice download from the USB to User Bank 2.  When I was finished, I searched for the CF voices in the Accoustic Piano category, and they were not there.  I then decided to re-download the sounds one voice at a time.  Once again, I couldn’t find them in the Accoustic Piano category, so I decided to go searching for them.
I finally found them in the No Assign voice category under User2.  I am not sure why they would not be assigned to the Accoustic piano category. 
Any idea why?  If I want to assign them to the Accoustic Piano category, is there a way of doing that?

BTW, I like an number of the CP1 piano voices better than the piano voices in the Preset banks.  I am grateful for your help sorting out my problem. I suspect that I had loaded them properly last night, but I never thought to go looking for them in the No Assign category of voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2014 @ 06:32 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Because the sounds did not have a category assigned to them in the first place :-)

Easy to fix if you want to though:

Press Edit (Make sure the Common button is lit)..then > cursor down (one line) to MainCtgry and enter it there, press enter, then again to confirm - done!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2014 @ 05:17 AM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

Thanks.  I will do that. 

I am working my way through the MOX DVD. It is very insightful, but there is so much information that it is hard to remember it all.  I will be watching it a few times. Its too bad that the MOXF DVD wasn’t available when I bought my MOXF.  Additional information about the Flash module would have been very useful.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Piano sounds
Next Topic:

Performance MIDI Question ››