mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Use Motif as Midi Controller in Cubase le 5"

Posted on: February 23, 2014 @ 08:12 AM
soulful36
Total Posts:  9
Joined  07-19-2012

Good morning,

I’m very grateful for this site!  I always get great advice! So my issue is not too complicated but as I’m a first-timer, it’s challenging.  Basically I would like to use Motif as a midi controller in Cubase so I can record midi.  I am having issues with setting this up.  Let me describe my gear. I have a Motif 6, Mio ( 1 in 1 out USB 16 channel MIDI interface) and Cubase le 5.  So I would love a step by step instruction on how to set up my keyboard and cubase so I can record midi. I was told that on the Motif I would have to turn local off, which I did.  Do I also need to turn “Midi In/Out” to USB?  Or leave as is = MIDI.  I’m really struggling with the setup in Cubase… a step by step direction would be awesome.  Thanks again… I’m getting so frustrated with the setup, but I know you all can help me.  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2014 @ 09:15 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Yes, set the MIDI to USB. You’ll need to load the appropriate USB drivers for the Motif if you have not used USB before (go to the Support section here).

Because Yamaha didn’t start shipping Motifs with copies of Cubase AI until the XS, there are no articles on setting up Cubase with the Motif Classic.  You can take a look at the articles for the XS in the Support section about setting up Cubase AI. It won’t be 100% the same for the Motif and LE5 but should get you started.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2014 @ 01:49 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Let me describe my gear. I have a Motif 6, Mio ( 1 in 1 out USB 16 channel MIDI interface) and Cubase le 5.

You will not need any external MIDI interface, as the Motif 6 has its own built-in USB-MIDI interface. So the single USB cable will handle all MIDI communication bi-directionally with the computer.

http://download.yamaha.com

Is the official website to download the USB-MIDI driver you will need for your Motif 6 based on your computer type and operating system.

The driver comes with an installation guide that will explain the driver installation.
As mentioned you want to set MIDI IN/OUT = USB

We need to ask… What is your ultimate goal in setting up the Motif 6 with Cubase?
The reason we need to ask is when you are new to all of this, there is a tendency to confuse the roles of MIDI and audio. Currently, no mention was made of an audio interface. You mentioned a MIDI interface -which you DO NOT need because the Motif has its own built-in - but no mention was made of an audio interface.

The role of the audio interface is to allow you record audio into your DAW (Cubase) and it also allows you send audio out from the computer to a pair of quality Studio Monitors… And ultimately it allows you to render your compositions in a widely distributable (audio) format.

In other words, if all you have is MIDI data only people with the appropriate MIDI gear will be able to play it back. Audio formats like .wav, AIFF, MP3 allow just about anyone to play it back… They will not have to have a Motif to hear your music!

So if your goal is to distribute your music, you will need an audio interface, and a pair of studio monitors.
If, however, that is not your goal, MIDI data is plenty useful, and there are other methods of mixing down to audio that don’t involve a computer, as the record device.

MIDI is used as a construction tool. It allows you to record, edit, manipulate and otherwise perfect your musical performance (even notate is with the Score feature) before rendering it to the widely distributable audio format… During the final mixdown process.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2014 @ 04:32 PM
soulful36
Joined  07-19-2012

First off, thank u for the replies.I’ve literally been frustrated to tears, so ur help is greatly appreciated.... more than u can imagine.  Ok, so this is great information… so I don’t need the mio cable at all, just need to plug in the usb cable from computer to motif.

Let me explain my goal, thank u for asking. I have an original song that I want to record as a midi file so I can have it arranged by a composer who is going to give it a cinematic/film score sound, hence why he wants it in midi vs. audio.  So, let me make sure I understood everything.... I need to do the following....

1. Install driver (thank u for providing website)

2. Ensure motif midi in/out = usb, ensure local = off.

Next would be setting up midi in Cubase…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2014 @ 02:37 PM
soulful36
Joined  07-19-2012

Good afternoon, thanks so much for the detailed information and explanation.  I feel like I have a better understanding of the process.  I installed the driver, set the keyboard up so midi in/out = usb, local = off. In cubase I selected ‘yamaha motif category’ in the device menu. Not sure what exactly should be selected for the midi output dropdown… but when I went to record I saw the bars move when I pressed on the keys...yay! So it certainly appears to be connected where the computer is receiving the midi signal from the keyboard. Also, I see the midi boxes… which further indicates everything is working well. So now my issue is that I can’t hear anything from neither the motif or the computer.. Do I need to change any settings in cubase so I can hear what I’m playing? Also, im guessing that I need to select a vst?

Sidenote: I do have an audio interface (behringer mixer x1622) if I need to use that to hear audio from the midi?

Thanks again for ur assistance! If it’s easier to include print screens I would be more than happy to do so! I love this site :-).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2014 @ 03:11 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In Cubase go to PROJECT > ADD TRACK > ADD MIDI Track

Make the MIDI Track so that the MIDI IN is “Yamaha Motif6-1”
Set the MIDI OUT = “Yamaha Motif6-1”

When you highlight this track you will complete the circuit between the Motif and Cubase.

LOCAL OFF as mentioned disconnects the Motif’s keybed from the Motif tone generator - such that MIDI messages travel OUT to Cubase, they arrive in the MIDI Track, which echoes the data back to the Motif on the MIDI channel as set by that track.

Create a new MIDI Track for each PART you wish to record. When your Motif is in SONG mode > press MIXING and select a different sound for each of the 16 PARTS.

in Cubase you can create as many as 16 Tracks - one for each PART.

As you select a track you will be able to hear that track’s assigned sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2014 @ 10:25 PM
soulful36
Joined  07-19-2012

Thank you Bad_Mister!!!!! You are awesome! I can hear sound from the motif now.  Thank you for the step by step directions and explanation of how midi works.  Yay, now I can record the midi file for the arranger :-).  Once again, this site has been so helpful!  Thanks & have a great night :-)

[ Ignore ]