mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pattern Mode Problems"

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 03:35 PM
phampton123
Total Posts:  62
Joined  12-30-2013

Hi,

I have been having problems recording in pattern mode. Each time I record a section (A,B,C that I like, I copy it over to the next section. For instance (copy section A to B) and then I add another track to the new section. I am trying to preserve the original, in case I make a mistake. Or I want to start fresh again by copying the previous section.

My problem is that after agonizing over getting one section right, I was satisfied and moved onto creating a completely new section. I recorded using performance mode. When I went back to my previous section it had completely changed. New sounds, arps, etc. What the F*&^% happened?

I re-recorded everything, but recorded my new section in the next pattern, e.g. Pattern 5, Section A. Can I create a chain using (Pattern 4 Section D), and (Pattern 5 Section A)?

Thanks.

phampon123.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 04:13 PM
Catfood
Total Posts:  40
Joined  01-29-2012

Hi phampton,

If you use direct performance record and point it at a pattern section, lets say section A for example you must save it before you switch to another performance and record again to a different section for example section B. This is because each performance will have different `Mix settings`. The mix settings are overwritten when you record multiple (ie different) performances to the same pattern. If you want to record different performances to the same pattern then point the subsequent performances at different tracks. For example perf 1 on tracks 1-4 p2 on tracks 5-8, p3 on tracks 9-12 and p4 on tracks 13-16. This way you will have up to 4 separate mixes on the sixteen available tracks. You are given the option to select the track destination when you select direct performance record.

I dont know if you can chain together different patterns. I have never tried this as the 16 sections have always been more than enough for me.

Regards

Catfood

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 06:14 PM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

Thanks very helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2014 @ 04:18 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Correct. I would only add the Mix settings are overwritten because the parameter is set to overwrite them. If you want to keep the mix settings (not have them change) simply opt out. Tell the MOX not to “Copy Performance Parameters” or as mentioned target different a Tracks.
When setting up to direct Performance Record, the “copy” option appears when press [Record] and go to [F3] OTHER. here you can set Key On Start, Copy the parameters to the Mix, and switch modes upon completion.

Each Performance, in general, is like a “Rhythm Section” (featuring a drummer, a bass player, a chordal instrument, etc). The Song/Pattern mode is like your 16-track recorder. Just as any logical person would do you would dedicate a track for each instrument throughout.

You wouldn’t record the drummer on track 1 in the Verses, and then switch to another track during the Choruses, you’d most likely dedicate a track to record drums throughout the composition. I say that because it is logically what is done most often… Is all.

If, however, you are using more that one Performance to create a single composition, it is like hiring a second “Rhythm Section” in our real world analogy. A second drummer, a second bass player, a second chordal instrument… In a real world studio situation… What would you do now?

Would you also put this new drummer on a Track 1? I don’t think so… You’d want to keep them separate with a track of their own… Had you done that the MOX would have copied the ‘second’ rhythm section’s parameters to Parts 5-8, leaving the first Rhythm Section’s parameters alone in Parts 1-4.

We are assuming here that not only are you targeting a second set of tracks for this second rhythm section, but that you are also targeting a second Section…

Performance 1 goes to Tracks 1-4, using Parts 1-4 of Section A
Performance 2 goes to Tracks 5-8, using Parts 5-8 of Section B

That would work - even with the MOX copying the Performance Parts to the Mixing.

You asked if entirely separate Patterns can be used in a single Chain… Well, no. But certainly Sections from different Patterns can be assembled into a single SONG.

Remember the Pattern Chain is a working step between Patten mode and a linear Song. It is the Song that is the finished product. When converting a CHAIN to SONG, you will notice you can start the conversion at any measure. This allows you to use as many Patterns and as many Pattern Sections as you may require.

There are some 1024 Pattern Sections. If 16 Sections is not enough, you can simply use another Pattern, you will need to assemble the data by converting the first Pattern’s Chain starting from measure 001, and converting the second Pattern’s Chain to start from a later measure, and so on.

This is useful in creating medleys etc. A Medley being a single Song location that plays several musical compositions in a row.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2014 @ 08:51 AM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

Thanks Bad_Mister! My upcoming weekend recording will go much smoother.

[ Ignore ]