mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Small problem when Recording"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 09:26 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I now have a MOTIF XF7 with a FW16E.

I have created a new Project with (4) audio tracks.

I am recording a Performance that has (4) Voices that I am outputting through the FW16E.

All four tracks record perfect except for one small problem.

Before I hit Record, my EP plays and sustains (by the sustain pedal) perfectly.

When I hit Record, the sustain pedal does not make the EP respond to sustain anymore.

Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 10:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

MIDI problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 10:09 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

How can tracks specifically set up as Audio Tracks be sending MIDI?

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 10:27 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

It’s possible that you’ve set up your project to filter Control Change messages. But it’s really not possible to guess without further details about how you’ve set up project for recording. If possible, please provide screenshots of your DAW Audio and MIDI settings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 10:44 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I’ll get some Screenshots tomorrow.

Back to my problem

All I’m doing is starting a new Project from scratch.

When it opens I’m asked:
1) If I want MIDI, Audio, Drummer, External MIDI or Guitar or Bass (I choose Audio)
2) How many tracks I want (I put 4).

When the new Project opens all I’m doing on each channel strip is changing the input channels to match the FW channels the XF is sending for each Voice.

That’s it.

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 10:53 PM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010

Please also tell us how you’ve set up your XF.

Are you using any of the ‘Quick Sequencer Setup’ options as described on Page 232 of the XF Reference Manual? If not, please share the settings you make on [UTILITY] > Control > MIDI screen of your XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 01:56 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Your Audio Tracks are set to receive audio. It’s not the tracks. The tracks are a destination. When you travel on a trip you don’t start at the destination… Start at the source.

Now the keyboard (it sends tons of MIDI messages), you press those keys, they START the process. If this was a travel vacation… You start with the Keys.... They generate messages that trigger (transmit messages to ) the tone generator. That is if LOCAL CONTROL = ON.

Start your signal flow troubleshooting with the keys of the XF… Is Local Control ON?

If local control = off you have a problem. The key presses, the sustain pedal, the MW, the PB Wheel, will not trigger the tone generator directly. Sustain is a MIDI message. Sustain is a MIDI message.. You ask how could it be MIDI?

Sustain is a MIDI message. If your starting Logic prevents/stops sustain, your MIDI routing is messed up somewhere… Guaranteed… Because Sustain is a MIDI message. Making sense yet?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 08:14 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

It’s starting to make sense :)

I’ll check it when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

PS
It seems everything somehow always points to MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 08:02 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
VikasSharma - 17 February 2014 10:27 PM

It’s possible that you’ve set up your project to filter Control Change messages. But it’s really not possible to guess without further details about how you’ve set up project for recording. If possible, please provide screenshots of your DAW Audio and MIDI settings.

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2.pngScreen Shot 3.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 08:03 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
Bad_Mister - 18 February 2014 01:56 AM

Your Audio Tracks are set to receive audio. It’s not the tracks. The tracks are a destination. When you travel on a trip you don’t start at the destination… Start at the source.

Now the keyboard (it sends tons of MIDI messages), you press those keys, they START the process. If this was a travel vacation… You start with the Keys.... They generate messages that trigger (transmit messages to ) the tone generator. That is if LOCAL CONTROL = ON.

Start your signal flow troubleshooting with the keys of the XF… Is Local Control ON?

If local control = off you have a problem. The key presses, the sustain pedal, the MW, the PB Wheel, will not trigger the tone generator directly. Sustain is a MIDI message. Sustain is a MIDI message.. You ask how could it be MIDI?

Sustain is a MIDI message. If your starting Logic prevents/stops sustain, your MIDI routing is messed up somewhere… Guaranteed… Because Sustain is a MIDI message. Making sense yet?

Local is on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 08:04 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
VikasSharma - 17 February 2014 10:53 PM

Please also tell us how you’ve set up your XF.

Are you using any of the ‘Quick Sequencer Setup’ options as described on Page 232 of the XF Reference Manual? If not, please share the settings you make on [UTILITY] > Control > MIDI screen of your XF.

I’m not sequencing (yet).

Regardless, it is on Setup Number 1.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 08:33 PM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010

So you’re in Performance mode (on your XF). Do the following and tell us what happens.

Go to [UTILITY] > Control [F5] > MIDI [SF2].
Set Basic Receive Ch to off.
Set Keyboard Transmit Ch to off.

Now, is the behavior that you described in your original post unaffected after doing the above?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 09:23 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

VikasSharma,

1) That solved both the problem of the “chiming” I originally talked about AND the EP not responding to sustain (it does now ;))!
2) How did you know making those changes were the answer?

Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 09:43 PM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
jerrydpi - 18 February 2014 09:23 PM

1) That solved both the problem of the “chiming” I originally talked about AND the EP not responding to sustain (it does now ;))!

This clearly indicates that it’s a MIDI problem. Although your problem appears to be solved, this is not the solution per se. This was only meant to be a diagnostic step. I’m not very familiar with Logic Pro but there is definitely something wrong with the MIDI settings in your DAW that needs to be corrected (either at the DAW level or at the Project level). We’ll have to find that out to get a proper solution.

jerrydpi - 18 February 2014 09:23 PM

2) How did you know making those changes were the answer?

Setting the Basic Receive Ch and Keyboard Transmit Ch to off isolates your Motif from external world as far as MIDI is concerned (No receiving or transmitting of MIDI data). As I said, this was suggested as a diagnostic step only. You still need to find out where the problem “actually” is and then try and resolve the same.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 09:50 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Last (2) questions tonight.

1) From the XF end, how do I make the REMOTE On/Off work?
2) On Logic you go to Control Surfaces. When I go there I am offered (3) choices: Logic Remote/Logic Control/Mackie Control.

Which one do I choose and do I have to set up an output and input MIDI port?

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 10:08 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I got luck and made it work :)

On LPX you choose Logic Control and then select “Remote” for both the in and out port.

Thanks again!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Logic Pro X Problems
Next Topic:

Help on changing the Tempo of a recorded song ››