mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Split Keyboard in Mixing Mode."

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 07:33 PM
nikhilc
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-17-2014

Hey, I saw in another article that in the mixing mode on the MOX6 you could have upto 16 voices that you can switch between seamlessly during a live performance. Can you also split the keyboard in this mode? And if so how?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 08:18 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
nikhilc - 17 February 2014 07:33 PM

Hey, I saw in another article that in the mixing mode on the MOX6 you could have upto 16 voices that you can switch between seamlessly during a live performance. Can you also split the keyboard in this mode? And if so how?

Pretty easily.  Set up one VOICE with note limit edits set to play it from one end of the keyboard (below your chosen split point).  Set up the other VOICE (PART) with note limits to play it from the other end of the keyboard.

Use volume edits to create a balance (volume) between the (2) PARTS.

Set both PARTS to the same MIDI channel, and when you call up (1) of the PARTS, the other will sound with it.

This occurs because in MIXING Mode (SONG or PATTERN) only (1) MIDI channel plays at a time...but all PARTS set to that MIDI channel play together (Up to the limits of the machine).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 08:29 PM
nikhilc
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-17-2014
cmayhle - 17 February 2014 08:18 PM
nikhilc - 17 February 2014 07:33 PM

Pretty easily.  Set up one VOICE with note limit edits set to play it from one end of the keyboard (below your chosen split point).  Set up the other VOICE (PART) with note limits to play it from the other end of the keyboard.

Use volume edits to create a balance (volume) between the (2) PARTS.

Set both PARTS to the same MIDI channel, and when you call up (1) of the PARTS, the other will sound with it.

This occurs because in MIXING Mode (SONG or PATTERN) only (1) MIDI channel plays at a time...but all PARTS set to that MIDI channel play together (Up to the limits of the machine).

Hey , thanks for the reply...just another question, does this mean if say i want to use a baseline in the left hand and switch between parts in the right hand, i will have to set bass as the lower voice part individually for all the 16 midi tracks with the other voices?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2014 @ 09:12 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
nikhilc - 17 February 2014 08:29 PM

Hey , thanks for the reply...just another question, does this mean if say i want to use a baseline in the left hand and switch between parts in the right hand, i will have to set bass as the lower voice part individually for all the 16 midi tracks with the other voices?

Well...you are partially correct in the concept here, but the devil is in the details.

You have a total of (16) possible PARTS you can assign and address in a MIXING.

Once you are comfortable with the knowledge that only (1) MIDI channel can be addressed (sounded) at a time in MIXING Mode, then you will realize you can pair PARTS of your MIXING on the same MIDI channel to sound at the same time, either as splits or as layers.  So...for example...you have the ability to pair a Bass PART with a Piano PART as PARTS (1) and (2) on MIDI channel (1), a Bass PART with an Organ PART as PARTS (3) and (4) on MIDI channel (2), a Bass PART with a Pad PART as PARTS (5) and (6) on MIDI channel (3)...etc.

Each (2) PARTS you want to pair...either in a split or a layer...will need to be set up on the same MIDI channel.

So you are correct in realizing you need to pair a Bass PART with each lead PART you desire.  However, you can’t do this with (16) lead parts, you can make (8) total pairings of Bass + Lead combinations...which results in (16) total PARTS...on (8) separate MIDI channels.

If you wanted to do this in a user-friendly (as in Live Performance) manner, you could set up (8) Companion or Lead sounds as PARTS 1-8...set to their corresponding MIDI channels.

You could then set up your Companion Bass sounds as PARTS 9-16...also set to the corresponding MIDI channels 1-8.

Now, as you advance (incrementally or randomly) through your Lead/Companion PARTS 1-8, your corresponding Base PARTS 9-16 will sound simultaneously.

If you wish to use the same Bass PART in each of those (8) pairings, you will probably find the MIXING COPY PART Job...on page 120 of the MOX Reference Manual...useful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 08:45 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

Yes, that’s what I came up with as well. If you want to seamlessly switch among right-hand parts while playing LH bass in mixing mode, you can only set up 8 possible right hand sounds, you’ll need the other 8 locations to store 8 copies of your LH bass sound.

The other way I’ve done this is in Performance mode. By leaving it in Edit mode as you play, you can keep the LH bass going, and use the 16 buttons to be able to select from 16 possible RH sounds instead of 8. The down side of this is that, when you change a RH sound, the previous RH sound will cut off. A nice feature of Mix mode is that you don’t run into that issue. But if that isn’t essential, this other approach gives you more instantly available RH sounds (and since the LH bass does not glitch when you change RH sounds this way, it is still halfway toward a seamless change, so you kind of get part of that mix mode benefit too).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 10:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I would approach this a different way, but before I go into detail....

First, if you are playing a split with a bass “seamless transitions” are only going to be possible if you use your feet to swap sounds. This can be done using the XA CONTROL function to make dynamic transitions for you.

On the MOX you can use the FS or FC to activate cc086 or cc087 which can operate the [AF1] or [AF2] buttons, respectively.
FS = Foot Switch (momentary) FC4/FC5 type
FC = Foot Controller _ Yamaha FC7

Program one of your right hand Voices to play only when “ALL AF OFF”
Program your second right hand Voice to play only when “AF 1 ON”
Here’s an example setup:

Part 1 = bass, ch 1, set note limits as you require to create your split.
Part 2 = E. piano, ch 1
Part 3 = organ, ch 1

Press [MIXING]
Select Part [2]
Press [F5] VCE EDIT _ this drops you into full edit on this Voice
What we will do is program this E piano to only sound when both [AF] are off
Press [1] to view Element 1 of the E piano Voice… Using the Element select buttons set the XA CONTROL parameter on the [F1] OSC page to “All AF Off” for each Element in this Voice. Now the Voice will only sound when both AF buttons are off.

Press [STORE] to store this custom Voice to the MV (Mixing Voice) Bank

Select Part [3]
Press [F5] VCE EDIT _ drop in and set this Voice’s Elements to XA CONTROL = “AF 1 On”. Now the organ will only sound when AF 1 is lit.

Press [STORE] to store this custom Voice to the MV (Mixing Voice) Bank

Press [STORE] to store the entire Seq and Mix

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTRL ASN
Press [SF2] FT SW
Set FS = 86

The FS (if you are using an FC4/FC5) is always a momentary control.
You can substitute an FC7 sweep pedal for this task, if you prefer (as it can maintain heel down or toe down as necessary, and behave as a latch control)… On the MOX set FC1 = 86
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTRL ASN
Press [SF1] ASSIGN
FC1 = 86

Or you can simply press the buttons, if your hands are free…

You can use XA CONTROL Expanded Articulation Control to dynamically, seamlessly, switch Voices. Instead of using the XA Control to activate individual Elements within a Voice, we are using them to switch entire Voices on and off. This does require you decide what is more important… The current assignment of the AF buttons within the Voice (if any role is being played) or what you need to accomplish.

What you are able to do is customize the Voices for this particular combination. You will need to go over the various controller assignments to weed out any conflicts that may arise… It will always depend on which Voices you are working with… And what controller assignments are already made. Don’t be afraid to customize the Voice entirely, because you are going to store this new custom Voice in the Sequencer’s MIXING VOICE bank (there are 256 Mixing Voice location total for the MOX).

The Voice is customized for this specific setup and you do not have to destructively edit the original location. You new Voice remains local to this Mixing setup. Feel free to change the Control Set assignments to suit your specific need.

With is method it is even possible to bring in another Voice to either take over right hand duties or layer with the “AF1 On” Part, in seamless hands-free fashion. Use your imagination! Since XA Control is all about emulating seamless musical articulation control, we are simply expanding it to switch between Voices.

Hope that helps you get started.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 05:03 PM
bmclen
Total Posts:  7
Joined  07-02-2011

Hello Mox6 Experts!

I am trying to follow the instructions above regarding, “pair PARTS of your MIXING on the same MIDI channel”.  I have PERF USR1:001 exactly the way I want it with voices and a keyboard split.  But in [Song][Mixing][Edit] and [Job] all I can do is copy a VOICE from USR#:000 to “Current”!  I cannot copy a PERF.

Since [Song][Mixing] let’s me select VOICES and USR#:xxx selections, somehow my PERFormance is just not available… because I can’t figure out how to COPY it to a VOICE.  VERY frustrating!  I *KNOW* that VOICE USR1 is *NOT* PERF USR1, but I can’t seem to edit a VOICE.  EITHER answer is fine, as all my performances are SONG-based.

Could someone please elaborate on the complete steps to have split voices in SONG mode?  Other posts seem to say this is possible.  But after FIVE HOURS of tinkering today, I am just not “getting it”.  :-(

Thank you all for your time with my confusion!

Bruce

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2018 @ 08:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
bmclen - 01 April 2018 05:03 PM

Hello Mox6 Experts!

I am trying to follow the instructions above regarding, “pair PARTS of your MIXING on the same MIDI channel”.  I have PERF USR1:001 exactly the way I want it with voices and a keyboard split.  But in [Song][Mixing][Edit] and [Job] all I can do is copy a VOICE from USR#:000 to “Current”!  I cannot copy a PERF.

You should be able to copy a Performance to a Song Mixing…
[SONG] > [MIXING] > [JOB] > [F3]COPY > [SF3]PERFORMANCE

See pages 120-121 of the MOX Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48534).

Also see http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/466066/
Although about the Motif XS, it will mostly apply to the MOX.

bmclen -

Since [Song][Mixing] let’s me select VOICES and USR#:xxx selections, somehow my PERFormance is just not available… because I can’t figure out how to COPY it to a VOICE.  VERY frustrating!  I *KNOW* that VOICE USR1 is *NOT* PERF USR1, but I can’t seem to edit a VOICE.  EITHER answer is fine, as all my performances are SONG-based.

You can’t copy a Performance to a Voice. A Performance can have up to four active Parts, each one referencing a Voice. The actual Voice data is not included in the Performance’s data.

bmclen -

Could someone please elaborate on the complete steps to have split voices in SONG mode?  Other posts seem to say this is possible.  But after FIVE HOURS of tinkering today, I am just not “getting it”.  :-(

Sorry this is giving you grief. Hopefully the links above will resolve this for you.

bmclen -

Thank you all for your time with my confusion!

Bruce

No problem. Let us know if you have further questions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2018 @ 06:33 PM
bmclen
Total Posts:  7
Joined  07-02-2011

Hello Mox6 Experts!!

*EXCELLENT* It works just fine!  Thanks, again, for such a quick reply!!
BUT
In all this tinkering, I found the answer to what I *REALLY* wanted to do:
Create a split keyboard for ONE MIDI channel in SONG mode!
MOST of the answer came from reading this page SEVERAL TIMES!!!

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/466066/

[Song][Mixing][F2|VOICE]

I create the song parts on MIDI channels 1-6 and play along on MIDI Channel 7
SECRET:
Set VOICENUM, BANK MSB, BANK LSB on PART 7 to what you want - Piano
Set VOICENUM, BANK MSB, BANK LSB on PART 8 to what you want - Bass

[MIXING][EDIT]
Press the PART you want to EDIT [1]-[16] <<< VERY IMPORTANT!!!
[F1|VOICE]
[SF1|VOICE]

[SF2|MODE] and set “PART 08” to channel 7 <<< VERY IMPORTANT!!!
(use cursor keys to navigate)

[SF3|LIMIT]
Press PART SELECT 8 (LCD screen updates) Edit Lo/Hi as needed
NoteLimitL C -2
NoteLimitH B 2

Press PART SELECT 7 button (LCD screen updates)
NoteLimitL C 3
NoteLimitH G 8

[EXIT] to mixing
[EXIT] to Song display

Press [7] in the PART SELECT section and play!
BOTH VOICES will now be heard on MIDI Channel 7!!

I can NOW program all this with SysEx commands for each Song where I need this configuration!!

I hope this simplifies things for the NEXT musician who is exploring the MoX
Yeah, I know… MoX6 is approaching SEVEN YEARS of AGE!!  ...and I’m STILL learning and discovering AH-MAY-ZING things I always KNEW it could do!

[ Ignore ]