mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "The audio track won’t record my MIDI patches (when the audio track is armed for recording)"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:40 PM
synthbunny
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-11-2014

The headphones were connected to the headphone jack on the interface, and they work fine. Sorry for misunderstanding the question.

So, does that mean that everything is OK for the setup?

Also, do I need to have an auxiliary track in the mixer every time I record audio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:51 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

You should be good, try it and see what happens,

No, you don’t need any aux tracks unless you want to use one, it creates you a few by default.

I’m still worried about why you are recording nothing...or a flat line as you call it.

We’ve established Logic is using your interface correctly so i’m presuming it is still selected in Logic’s audio prefs as the chosen interface for input and output.

You should have done these things in addition:

- MO8 left and right analogue outputs cabled to analogue inputs 1 and 2 on the front of your interface.
- Create an audio track in Logic with inputs set to 1 and 2.
- Have someone playing your MO8 or something playing on it.
- if that’s not possible, create an EXTERNAL MIDI TRACK and not an instrument track and put data on it.
- Record enable your track in Logic.
- Use a suitable amount of input gain using the knobs near the front inputs on your interface.
- When a good level is coming in press record (watch the green meters as you adjust the knobs before you press record)
- Listen from the headphones connected to your interface.
- Adjust the main volume knob on the front of your focusrite to taste

make sure nothing is muted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:54 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

Will check again after my laptop’s charged. Thank you for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:56 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That might be your problem, right there, although I think it might be because you are playing an instrument track and not an external midi track.

Instrument tracks are for synth plugins, external MIDI tracks are for external MIDI gear. Logic will let you copy MIDI data to either but only external MIDI tracks control external gear.

I would not consider doing any of this running on battery alone, though. 

Same with your interface, if it can be buss powered then fine, but whilst you work things out, use the adaptors for both.

no worries,

(use that checklist a few posts above when you are charged up again)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2014 @ 01:35 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

Finally solved the problem with the flat line. I didn’t adjust the knobs for Lines 1 and 2 on the interface. Now, I can see the “halos.” Plus, there are definitely sound waves coming out of my audio track. Yes! :D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2014 @ 02:12 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

all good then…

try external midi tracks rather than instrument tracks too…

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Logic Pro X, Yamaha n12 and Motif XS8
Next Topic:

Record with FW16E to LPX questions ››