mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "The audio track won’t record my MIDI patches (when the audio track is armed for recording)"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 07:29 PM
synthbunny
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-11-2014

I just received my Scarlett 6i6 USB audio interface. Logic Pro X does recognize it as an I/O device. The problem is that when I try to record audio of the patches I selected, a flat line shows up. In other words, no sound is recording.

How do I correct this problem?

I have a Yamaha MO8 connected via USB to host device, use Logic Pro X (10.0.6), and a Scarlett 6i6.

I have Stereo Line Outputs plugged into my Yamaha, and the Stereo Line Inputs plugged into the rear panel of the Scarlett.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 08:27 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
synthbunny - 11 February 2014 07:29 PM

I just received my Scarlett 6i6 USB audio interface. Logic Pro X does recognize it as an I/O device. The problem is that when I try to record audio of the patches I selected, a flat line shows up. In other words, no sound is recording.

How do I correct this problem?

Hi,

Welcome to Motifator

If Logic is not recognising your interface, then there’s no way you will be able to make a recording with it, so what you’re experiencing is exactly what I’d expect to find.

In order for Logic to recognise your interface, you will need to install any drivers that came with it and make sure that your interface shows as available in the Audio MIDI Set Up utility on the OS.

Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Set Up Utility.  Then when you are in that, open the Audio Window.

Logic works with whatever is available in that utility.

Once it is showing in there, you need to load Logic up, go to Preferences under the Logic Menu and select ‘Audio’

You should then be able to choose your interface from the drop down menus on INPUT and OUTPUT.

Once you do that, Logic will be using your Scarlett 6i6 USB audio interface.

If it does not, then you have either a problem with your software or a fault with your hardware or cable.

It could also be that you need to deselect your MO8 as the interface in Logic first since you’ve said you have it cabled via USB.

synthbunny - 11 February 2014 07:29 PM

I have Stereo Line Outputs plugged into my Yamaha, and the Stereo Line Inputs plugged into the rear panel of the Scarlett.

I’m presuming this means you have the Left and Right Analogue Outputs on your MO8 cabled directly to the Analogue Inputs on your interface.

if so, that’s fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 08:35 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

I have the Analogue I/O connected and the USB 6i6 does turn up in the audio preferences. I can hear the MIDI I recorded via headphones connected from the Interface. But I still have a problem with the audio tracks not picking up any sounds.

What are some of the things I’m doing wrong? Do I need to change my audio preferences when I’m recording audio tracks?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 08:41 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
philwoodmusic - 11 February 2014 08:27 PM

you need to load Logic up, go to Preferences under the Logic Menu and select ‘Audio’

You should then be able to choose your interface from the drop down menus on INPUT and OUTPUT.

Once you do that, Logic will be using your Scarlett 6i6 USB audio interface.

If it does not, then you have either a problem with your software or a fault with your hardware or cable.

It could also be that you need to deselect your MO8 as the interface in Logic first since you’ve said you have it cabled via USB.

Always wanted to quote myself :-)

Yes, very likely!

There aren’t really many things that can go wrong.

If you can see it in the Audio MIDI Set Up Utility and then you select it in Logic’s audio preferences, that should be it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 08:50 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

I wish I can send jpegs of screenshots of my problem, but I’m having trouble. Still, no audio. I switched the USB cable to an USB-MIDI interface and changed the MIDI function to MIDI through the Utility button. I’ll switch it to USB again. Really frustrating!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 08:56 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You can attach images,

Use ‘Post Reply’ instead of ‘fast reply’ and you will see a button for attaching files.

Screencap Logic’s audio preferences and the audio page in your Audio MIDI set up utility.

Also, your mixer window would be useful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:06 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

I posted the screenshots of the Audio MIDI setup and Logic X Pro. The Yamaha MO8 shows up on the AMS, but not on the Logic Pro X. Does that matter?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:11 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

I tried doing post reply, but my pictures won’t attach. Here is the link to the mixer view.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/854/oz7g.png

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:12 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

Funny. I changed my extensions to .jpg on all of these. I should’ve converted them the old fashioned way (third party app).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:13 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You are set up correctly,

You are playing an INSTRUMENT TRACK though, if you want to play your MO8, you need an EXTERNAL MIDI TRACK set up in logic (set one up and move your MIDI data to it)

No it does not matter that the MO8 is not showing up as an interface in Logic.  You wish to record audio with your Focusrite, so it is not a big deal.

Are you sure that you have your cables from the MO8 plugged into 1 and 2 on your interface?

You may notice that 1 and 2 are on the FRONT and 3 and 4 are on the REAR,

They are hidden in plain sight on the front.

your first post says you have them plugged in the rear, that’s 3 and 4

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:22 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

I tried that earlier, but the audio came out mono. OK, I just plugged them in, and I can see both green bars moving on the instrument track. Weird.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:23 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

Still won’t pick up audio, even though the track is armed. And yes, the jacks are in Lines 1 and 2 in the front of the interface.

Edit: The MIDI notes will play and the bars for the instrument, audio, auxiliary, master, and output tracks were moving in the mixer window. It’s just the audio track in the Arrangement window has a flat line.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:32 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

If you plug into the central holes on both the inputs on the front of your interface with each cable, they are designed for both jacks OR XLR connectors and work the same as the rear ones if you use jacks.

They let you plug in MIC OR Line

If you wish to set your track up with an input on 3 and 4 then you must plug into 3 and 4 on the rear.

The track in your picture is set to 1 and 2 so unless you change it to 3 and 4 you can only use the front inputs on that audio track.

how are you hearing everything?

Where are the AUDIO OUTPUTS of your interface connected to?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:34 PM
synthbunny
Joined  02-11-2014

No outputs. The sound is coming through my MacBook Pro speakers (built-in). Also, I was able to export the track as an AIFF file, and can hear it! But the flat line is still a problem.

And this is while the output device was the Scarlett 6i6!

The line inputs are still in the Yamaha MO8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:38 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Exporting has nothing to do with how you hear anything.  That’s a separate subject to this.

But, you are now clearly using the Focusrite so no direct sound from Logic will come through your mac speakers now.

To hear everything in Logic, ideally, you should connect the audio outputs of your interface to a suitable amp and speakers...or to be quicker here, plug in some headphones to the headphone jack on your interface.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Logic Pro X, Yamaha n12 and Motif XS8
Next Topic:

Record with FW16E to LPX questions ››